First challenge attempt - 79 bus (Canons Park to Edgware)

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Muzer
Zone 1

First challenge attempt - 79 bus (Canons Park to Edgware)

Post by Muzer »

A friend and I are going to attempt the Tube Challenge for the first time on Tuesday. We're still putting times to our attempted route - we're just doing it for fun, not to try and get a particularly good time. We were having issues finishing on time; starting from Chesham instead of Watford might have fixed that, it's hard to tell yet (as I said, I'm still putting times to it!). I might have to grovel for some last-minute route improvement tips if I still can't get it to work ;). We're finishing at Heathrow.

Looking at the TfL website, the number 79 bus ends up taking 17 minutes when you put it in a journey (apart from at a few times of day when it inexplicably takes 5). However, according to http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/079.htm , they do indeed take five minutes. Is this because the journey planner assumes you arrive just after a bus leaves or something (ie the worst case)? Or is there something else odd going on?

Thanks!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: First challenge attempt - 79 bus (Canons Park to Edgware

Post by tractakid »

Bus times on TFL journey planner are horrible. Google maps offers much more realistic figures, being easier to use than timetables. But, most importantly, on the day, use a bus countdown app to see what the reality is when you're actually there. Then you know whether to leg it or wait.

General route tips before I fall asleep... Cut corners on foot, avoid double backs, avoid visiting stations twice, and avoid unnecessary interchanges/reduce number of interchanges.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tfl will add the minimum time waiting for that bus as well 12 mins on average your journey will take around the 5-6 mins mark depending on traffic at time of day dont forget you actually have a choice of 5 buses for that journey you are taking.
Muzer
Zone 1

Post by Muzer »

What are the other 4, then? How long do they take?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

There are 3 buses from Canons Park to Edgware, the 79, 186 and 340. They all go the same way so will all take the same time.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

TfL's Spider bus maps are helpful. Usually, googling '(station) bus' will result in the appropriate map being found.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround ... e-2075.pdf
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

There's the 142 from Stanmore and then another bus (I forget the number) that goes from the bottom of the hill (to the right when you come out) quarter of a mile from Stanmore.

You can get an app or use TfL live departures to help you decide whether to double back
Last edited by Iain on 09 Jun 2013, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Iain wrote:You can get an app or use TfL live departures to help you divide whether to double back
Awesome, one half of you can double back, the other can take the bus direct...! :mrgreen:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

lol - brain fart :oops:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)