Another new idea for a challenge - the F1 Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: Another new idea for a challenge - the F1 Challenge

Post by hopeful traveller »

However, scrxisi, article 2 of the sporting regulations solves your R15 public-interference problem...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

Wow, this got quite a few comments :O cutting the crap I wouldn't have all of these mahoosive rules because its driven everyone away. I was thinking of a much similar system:

1. Participants in the F1 challenge all meet at a starting station pre-determined before hand
2. An external person (similar to the BERC, but I would be very adventrous and call him the ECCELSTONE!) generates the stations to be put in the envelopes before the day, hands them to someone before the 'race'.
3. The stations are the same for all participants, this is to focus on changes and speed between changes and makes sprinting more interesting :)
4. There would initally be 6 or 8 rounds. Rounds would vary with the number of 'laps' one visits. Example: Round 1: 10 laps, stations Z1-3 Round 2: 7 laps Z1-5, Round 3:
17 laps Z1-2, Round 4: 10 laps Z1-3 etc. (similar to that of the F1 season with Monaco being 78 laps and GB being 56 laps or something)
5. Everyone must visit the stations in the order given, example: Starting station: Edgware Road (Circle, H + C + District lines), lap 1: Holborn, lap 2: Kentish Town, lap 3: Highbury + Islington, and so on...
6. All participants must make at least 2 stops, which is simply getting off at a station and waiting for the next train to continue your journey (changes for another line are not accepted as pit stops)
7. The race finishes at a pub, pre-determined :)
8. The points scale is the same to the 2013 F1 season :)
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Rhys1995 wrote: 3. The stations are the same for all participants, this is to focus on changes and speed between changes and makes sprinting more interesting :)
4. There would initally be 6 or 8 rounds. Rounds would vary with the number of 'laps' one visits. Example: Round 1: 10 laps, stations Z1-3 Round 2: 7 laps Z1-5, Round 3:
17 laps Z1-2, Round 4: 10 laps Z1-3 etc. (similar to that of the F1 season with Monaco being 78 laps and GB being 56 laps or something)
5. Everyone must visit the stations in the order given, example: Starting station: Edgware Road (Circle, H + C + District lines), lap 1: Holborn, lap 2: Kentish Town, lap 3: Highbury + Islington, and so on...
Would everyone not be with each other all day unless someone was able to get ahead by running quicker through a station or am I missing something?

If this is the gist of the challenge then I don't know if it would be too appealing as good challenging normally combines a number of elements (route planning, speed, luck, ingenuity, preparation etc.) and to solely focus on speed kind of diminishes the competition to just those who can run quickest.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Rhys1995 wrote:4. There would initially be 6 to 8 rounds. Rounds would vary with the number of 'laps' one visits. Example: Round 1: 10 laps, stations Z1-3 Round 2: 7 laps Z1-5, Round 3: 17 laps Z1-2, Round 4: 10 laps Z1-3 etc.
6. All participants must make at least 1 pit stop, which is simply getting off at a station and waiting for the next train to continue your journey. Changes for another line or double backs are not accepted as pit stops. For example, one is travelling from Rayners Lane to Northwick Park. At Harrow-on-the-Hill, one gets out, lets the train depart, and gets the next eastbound one.
7. The race finishes at a pre-determined pub or McDonalds or something.
8. The points scale is the same as Formula One™ - 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1. All rounds count towards the title.
Amendments duly made. I like the basic idea, but there needs to be some sort of qualifying system, otherwise you could have a 22-way tie...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

joy54 wrote:
Rhys1995 wrote: 3. The stations are the same for all participants, this is to focus on changes and speed between changes and makes sprinting more interesting :)
Would everyone not be with each other all day unless someone was able to get ahead by running quicker through a station or am I missing something?

If this is the gist of the challenge then I don't know if it would be too appealing as good challenging normally combines a number of elements (route planning, speed, luck, ingenuity, preparation etc.) and to solely focus on speed kind of diminishes the competition to just those who can run quickest.
In answer to your question, that is something I have considered. Essentially the main aspects that would make it somewhat interesting would be changes between lines/stations etc. and also when to 'pit'. Could also be made interesting if someone does a tangy and takes a bus or something. Just an idea anyway, but yeah here it is. By the way Benjamin the whole qualifying thing would be a pain in the arse, and I know it. Plus we're not 'gonna get 22 people to participate in this :P plus I was thinking about whether to have 6 or 8 rounds, but I now propose 8 rounds to the season.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.