doing the 270 in 2013 (over 2 days)

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
matthew dunderdale
Zone 1

doing the 270 in 2013 (over 2 days)

Post by matthew dunderdale »

next year i am aiming to do the entire network in 2 days with a number of people to be determined...
(i am not aiming to get anywhere near the frankly insane world record)

currently it seems its going to be me, my brother, our dad and 1 of my brothers mates...

insane starting point i know but i am looking to start at cockfosters (cause my brother lives there)
and finish at high barnet (direct bus link home)...

the only sticking point is gonna be kensington (olympia) due to its rare service... any help rendered would be useful
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: doing the 270 in 2013 (over 2 days)

Post by tubeguru »

I will predict right now that someone is going to tell you to not start at Cockfosters AND finish at High Barnet. :D
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
matthew dunderdale
Zone 1

tubeguru wrote:I will predict right now that someone is going to tell you to not start at Cockfosters AND finish at High Barnet. :D
yeah, i know it's not the ideal starting point... but in the words of Magnus Magnusson "i've started so i'll finish"
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Why do it in 2 days when you can do it in one?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
matthew dunderdale
Zone 1

tractakid wrote:Why do it in 2 days when you can do it in one?
i'm carrying a little extra weight compared to what i should be, which is not condusive to running very far or walking
long distances without getting nackered
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

As am I, yet I did it in 18:10:00! You don't need to be fit to get a completion- just put your very best effort in and you should do it!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Even a Cockfosters to High Barnet route can be done in a day. Children in Need 2011 route was High Barent start, Cockfosters finish.

My suggestion is take out Ken O out ASAP. First train out of Cockfosters 05:10 arrives at Barons Court at 06:01. That will give you 14mins to get the 06:15 out of Ken O. Might be able to change at Earl's Court and take out West Kensington as well.

Although the record nowadays is super quick. Anyone, regardless of their fitness, can get a completion in 24 hours. Know your changes and know your timetable.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

"can" being the operative word - suspended bits of line can scupper chances if you're unlucky. You can re-route to a certain extent but if the one bit of line you need is down at the end of the day you're out of options.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
matthew dunderdale
Zone 1

thanks... when its open (i know its gonna close for about 2 weeks soon) but is the hainault loop open all day??

i intend on doing on the way back down from epping...
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

It runs until about midnight :) The worst thing that can happen is a 20 minute wait, which happened on my first 2 failed attempts :P
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

You might want to think about starting at High Barnet and finisging at Cockfosters..

That way you can guarantee getting a quick MHE connection :lol: :wink:

(Those on CiN 2011 will know what I mean)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Going Underground wrote:You might want to think about starting at High Barnet and finisging at Cockfosters..

That way you can guarantee getting a quick MHE connection :lol: :wink:

(Those on CiN 2011 will know what I mean)
Those on Cin who stupidly decided to walk to MHE and nearly miss the train.
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

Hi Matthew and welcome. Always great to get new challengers.

I'm doing the challenge with a mate around May/June time (I'll start another thread about that). So it gives me 6 months to lose some weight and by then the mornings are nice and light.

Do try and do it in one day, or it kind of isn't a challenge. As someone suggested, get the first train from Cock to Baron's Court and hopefully that should allow enough time to get to Ken O. Do some actual testing of the routes that you need to walk beforehand so you don't waste any time during the challenge. The longest section I need to walk/run is about 0.9 miles. And only involves about 3 miles by foot in total in between stations. So I'm sure you can do it in one day. Go for it.
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
matthew dunderdale
Zone 1

thanks... so that first train out of KO stops at earls court??

living on the isle of man, i will have to do it using google maps or something similar,
type up my notes and print them off before heading over... (fly to luton and meet my brother there)

better that than have no idea where i am going, take a wrong turn and end up at 1 of the hammersmith stations

note:- i laugh at the thought that luton is classed as a london airport
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

There's a very long thread about Olympia on this forum. Start with the latest comments and read backwards so you get the latest info on it. There's a few trains that leave a depot early in the morning, which pass through Olympia, so you can catch a train from Olympia to Earl's Court. The times are in that Olympia thread.

If you are just using Google maps, make sure you also use the Google street view and "walk along it" as overhead maps don't make you familiar with a route if you're in a hurry. For instance, when I was in London recently, I looked at a map whilst coming out of Aldgate East, wanting to get to Aldgate by foot. I used some university building that I saw on the map as my checkpoint to make sure I was going the right way. Sure enough I walked past that university building, but there was no sign of Aldgate station, and several minutes later Whitechapel station came into view. Not sure what happened there, so I got the tube back to Aldgate East and took another look at the map. I noticed that the university had a building both sides of the crossroads! :D
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)