2012 Formula One Side Competition

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: 2012 Formula One Side Competition

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:I'm not nit-picking! Especially considering that the contract status of Button and Räikkönen does not determine the answer to any of the questions in the quiz. I just thought I should point it out.
As Button and Raikkonen have both been linked to Ferrari next year, I would argue that the signing of either would have an effect on Mass'a employment status, ergo it is entirely relevant to the question.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Relevant, sure, but it doesn't actually constitute the answer.

Now I'm nit-picking.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Remind me not to do this next year.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, the summer break is over, so here is the latest update:

Who will win the Driver's Championship?

Well, I was edging toward Alonso, but now Vettel is within a win of him, so it's all up in the air again.

Who will win the Constructor's Championship?

Red Bull are coasting to this, with both drivers scoring regularly.

Will Michael Schumacher win a GP?

Well, he had a few scraps today, but the Mercedes is not in the same league as the other front-runners, so possibly not barring a freak incident.

What will Kimi Raikkonen's highest finishing position be?

He almost matched his best today, but still doesn't have the all-round package to win just yet.

Who will be top rookie? This year's rookies are Charles Pic, Jean-Eric Vergne and Romain Grosjean.

Well,he may be the top rookie, but he blotted his copybook at Belgium, and has been banned for one race. I doubt the other two will catch him though!

Which of the three "new" teams will finish highest in the Constructor's Championship? If none of these teams scores points, the most successful will be the team with the highest finishing position. The teams in question are the three newest teams in F1: Caterham, HRT and Marussia.

Petrov finished 14th, which is almost as good as his 13th at Valencia, but no cigar.

Which driver will be the first to be replaced this season for any reason?

Once again,I should clarify at this point that this refers to being replaced for the RACE, and not for various practice sessions as has been the norm of late.
Congratulations to anyone who said Romain Grosjean - banned for causing the pile-up at the start of the race today.

What will be the year's biggest row (technical/personal/whatever - your choice)?

This year has been a bit lame in comparison to previous ones, although having scouted around the internet, some people are getting annoyed by the stewards constantly investigating anything that resembles an overtaking move. But it's still not as important as the trouble at Bahrain. A bit of a disappointment, this category.

How many races will take place before Red Bull and/or Ferrari announce that they're dropping Mark Webber and/or Felipe Massa respectively for 2013?

Massa has improved of late, and more people are now saying that he will stay for next year in the absence of a suitable replacement being lined up. Webber is safe for 2013.

Driver's Championship: walkover or close battle? I will determine whether a "walkover" or "close battle" was achieved at the end of the season.

With Grosjean doing a Maldonaldo (despite Pastor's illegal attempt to get to the front before crashing into someone), the championship has been thrown wide open again. Vettel has found some speed, and Ferrari do not have the fastest car. Getting closer ...

Will all the teams complete the season (i.e. field two cars at all 20 GPs)?

They're all still present and correct.

What will be the most exciting and boring races of the season?

It was suggested to me that Belgium was more "exciting" that China. Rubbish - this one is somewhere in the middle, as all those overtaking moves were either the result of DRS or slower cars bouncing on the rev-limiter/carrying too much drag being caught by those without those issues.

Most exciting: China. Most boring: Hungary.

Your own prediction that is not covered by anything above. Take a shot at something that will or won't happen this year that isn't covered by the previous 13 questions and see if you strike it lucky!

No one has guessed anything right yet, apart from steeeeeeevoooooo (was it him?) guessing about a protest at Bahrain.

Team mate head to heads:

Hamilton 7, Button 5
Vettel 7, Webber 5
Alonso 11, Massa 1
Rosberg 6, Schumacher 6
Raikkonen 10, Grosjean 2
Hulkenberg 8, di Resta 4
Kobayashi 7, Perez 5
Ricciardo 6, Vergne 6
Senna 8, Maldonaldo 4
Kovalainen 6, Petrov 6
Glock 9, Pic 3
de la Rosa 12, Karthikeyan 0

I trust you all agree with the above. Not that I will be entertaining any arguing if you don't. :roll:

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

tubeguru wrote: Which driver will be the first to be replaced this season for any reason?

Once again,I should clarify at this point that this refers to being replaced for the RACE, and not for various practice sessions as has been the norm of late.
Congratulations to anyone who said Romain Grosjean - banned for causing the pile-up at the start of the race today.
Could I just say we may be jumping the gun here should Lotus appeal the decision and succeed like Renault did in 2009?

1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Despite the fact that Lotus have confirmed that they will not be appealing?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

From the stewards:

"Extremely serious breach of the regulations which had the potential to cause injury to others. It eliminated leading championship contenders from the race. The stewards note the team conceded the action of the driver was an extremely serious mistake and an error of judgement. Neither the team nor the driver made any submission in mitigation of penalty."

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Italian GP update.

In a reversal of fortunes, Vettel suffers a setback (aw, shame), and Alonso picks up points, putting him in a strong position despite losing ten points to Hamilton.

Well, just as you thought Red Bull were cruising to this, a double retirement allows McLaren to catch right up. This one could be close too now.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say this going to a "no" now. The car just isn't good enough.

Raikkonen is also stagnant in terms of results right now. Lotus need to improve if he's to match his best of second place.

Who will be top rookie? This year's rookies are Charles Pic, Jean-Eric Vergne and Romain Grosjean.

Grosjean has this one sewn up. In fact he's so far ahead, he didn't bother driving this weekend!

Which of the three "new" teams will finish highest in the Constructor's Championship? If none of these teams scores points, the most successful will be the team with the highest finishing position. The teams in question are the three newest teams in F1: Caterham, HRT and Marussia.

Caterham scored a 14-15 finish here, but not quite enough to match Petrov's earlier 13th. They're doing quite well in the races I think.

This race confirms that Grosjean wins this category. Game over here.

What will be the year's biggest row (technical/personal/whatever - your choice)?

It's all a bit quiet on the controversy front isn't it? Maybe we need Vettel to punch Maldonaldo or something ...

How many races will take place before Red Bull and/or Ferrari announce that they're dropping Mark Webber and/or Felipe Massa respectively for 2013?

Massa is definitely improving, and Ferrari are stalling over their decision for next year. Perez's second place has focussed their minds, if there was any doubt as to whether he will replace Massa next year.

Driver's Championship: walkover or close battle? I will determine whether a "walkover" or "close battle" was achieved at the end of the season.

Whatever happens from now, I think it's safe to say this one is going to be close.

They're all still present and correct.

OK, having reviewed the race in China, I have decided that this one, FOR ME, was more "exciting". Lots of overtaking, a double retirement from a team walking away with the constructor's, the championship leader coming back into the hunt after a disaster last time out, and Vettel getting a slap on the wrist for returning the favour to Alonso after last year's GP. I know Hamilton led from start to finish, but Perez's charge from 12th to second on a one-stop (and he could have easily won) made it a tense closing few laps.

Most exciting: Italy. Most boring: Hungary.

Your own prediction that is not covered by anything above. Take a shot at something that will or won't happen this year that isn't covered by the previous 13 questions and see if you strike it lucky!

You lot are rubbish.

Team mate head to heads:

Hamilton 8, Button 5
Vettel 7, Webber 6 (Webber was classified higher in the results, so takes this one)
Alonso 12, Massa 1
Schumacher 7, Rosberg 6
Raikkonen 11, Grosjean 2, D'Ambrosio 0
Hulkenberg 8, di Resta 4
Kobayashi 7, Perez 6
Ricciardo 7, Vergne 6
Senna 9, Maldonaldo 4
Kovalainen 7, Petrov 6
Glock 9, Pic 4
de la Rosa 13, Karthikeyan 0

See y'all in Singapore!

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

SIngapore GP update.

This is a weird situation. Alonso is not fast enough to win races, but he keeps coming third while the others carve up the wins between them. Whether he can hold on with this tactic is another matter.

It's still close at the top of this.

After Italy I opined that the car may not be good enough. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether the driver's any good too. Still a no.

Lotus's development is behind that of other teams. I don't think Raikkonen is going to be challenging for the top spot just yet.

Boring. ...

Alert the media! Just when you thought Caterham's 13th-place finish at er, wherever it was was the best result all year, along comes Glock in the Marussia, storming to 12th place, and setting the bar even higher. Can one of these teams crack the top ten this year. I hope so.

This category is over - Grosjean wins.

I was hoping Vergne might have twatted Schumacher after their crash but sadly, gone are the days when this sort of thing happened regularly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6ZGWA_xiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZnE7gj0gY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v41YR37RYtA

The "will Perez drive for Ferrari next year or not?" question rages on ...

Whatever happens from now, I think it's safe to say this one is going to be close.

Let's say yes.

Approaching half distance I was actually falling asleep. Then Karthikeyan put his car in the wall and all hell broke loose. I'm not sure it was as exciting as some other races this year - a lot of it was due to the pack being bunched up behind two safety cars. Nonetheless, it certainly wasn't as boring as some, so this one slots into the middle somewhere.

You lot are rubbish.

Team mate head to heads:

Drivers in bold cannot now be caught by their team mate. Maldonaldo and Pic can still tie with Senna and Glock respectively.

Hamilton 8, Button 6
Vettel 8, Webber 6
Alonso 13, Massa 1
Schumacher 7, Rosberg 7
Raikkonen 12, Grosjean 2, D'Ambrosio 0
Hulkenberg 8, di Resta 5
Kobayashi 7, Perez 7
Ricciardo 8, Vergne 6
Senna 10, Maldonaldo 4
Kovalainen 8, Petrov 6
Glock 10, Pic 4
de la Rosa 14, Karthikeyan 0

Next race: Japan.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Japanese GP update.

As I mentioned in the other F1 thread, with Alonso's safety net now gone, Vettel is odds-on for the title, as Red Bull have improved their car, and McLaren just can't get it together consistently enough. It looks like three in a row for Finger Boy now.

Red Bull.

No.

I don't know.

Boring. ...

An average race for the bottom three this time out, with not enough retirements ahead to get anywhere near 12th place.

It's been a bit rubbish this year for controversy, hasn't it?

With Perez out of the picture at Ferrari, will Massa stay or not? We await developments ...

Well, it's been close so far, but my suspicion is that Vettel will clean up for the rest of the season. I wait to be proven wrong.

Let's say yes.

A crash at the start does not an exciting race make. This one was fairly processional once the Lotuses had had their usual first-corner smash-ups. Maybe this is their new tactic - take out competitors so they don't have to overtake them later.

You lot are rubbish.

Team mate head to heads:

Drivers in bold cannot now be caught by their team mate.

Hamilton 8, Button 7
Vettel 9, Webber 6
Alonso 13, Massa 2
Schumacher 8, Rosberg 7
Raikkonen 13, Grosjean 2, D'Ambrosio 0
Hulkenberg 9, di Resta 5
Kobayashi 8, Perez 7
Ricciardo 9, Vergne 6
Senna 10, Maldonaldo 5
Kovalainen 9, Petrov 6
Glock 11, Pic 4
de la Rosa 15, Karthikeyan 0

Next race: Korea.

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

tubeguru wrote: A crash at the start does not an exciting race make.
I hardly ever use smilies but this was my reaction: :o.

Followed by :lol: , followed by :x , followed by :evil:.

#goodgrammarsaveslives.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

My "extra" prediction (Maldonado's money running out) largely hinged on the outcome of the Venezuelan presidential election. Now that Chavez has been re-elected, I'm sure it's not going to happen. Further to which, hasn't he behaved himself well recently? Grosjean should take notes.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Of the two, Maldonaldo seems the better long-term bet for success.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Korean GP update.

Vettel

Red Bull.

No.

I don't know.

Boring. ...

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Marussia have "won" this with 12th place at Singapore.

It's still a bit rubbish this year for controversy, isn't it?

Looks like this is a dead duck, with Massa likely to be announced at Ferrari for 2013 in the next week or so.

Although I suspect Vettel will now drive off into the distance, it's been close enough for this to not be an overall walkover.

Let's say yes.

Another tedious race, devoid of any exciting incident, despite Hamilton mowing the grass towards the end. I don't think it was as boring as Hungary, given the lack of overtaking at the Hungaroring.

You lot are rubbish.

Team mate head to heads:

Drivers in bold cannot now be caught by their team mate.

Hamilton 9, Button 7
Vettel 10, Webber 6 (Webber can now only draw level with Vettel)
Alonso 14, Massa 2
Schumacher 9, Rosberg 7
Raikkonen 14, Grosjean 2, D'Ambrosio 0
Hulkenberg 10, di Resta 5
Kobayashi 8, Perez 8
Ricciardo 9, Vergne 7
Senna 10, Maldonaldo 6 (Maldonaldo can now only draw level with Senna)
Kovalainen 9, Petrov 7
Glock 12, Pic 4
de la Rosa 15, Karthikeyan 1 (Narain finally finishes ahead of de la Rosa this year, preventing a whitewash)

Next race: India.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Just noticed this:
tubeguru wrote:Team mate head-to-heads:

Finally, state who you think will finish highest in the WDC out of each pair of team mates. If BOTH team mates in one team fail to score points, then the man with the highest finish will win. If two team mates finish level on points, I'll use second and third-placed finishes to see who "wins":
When did you change the scoring system for that part?