Cannon Street Run VII, Weds 19th September

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Cannon Street Run VII, Weds 19th September

Post by greatkingrat »

If you can persuade TfL to rename it by Wednesday, then we won't have to do it!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

4h 12m?! maybe...
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tractakid wrote:4h 12m?! maybe...

LOL 4h 13m maybe for me :lol:

OK me hearties see yee scurvy dogs outside Canon St to weigh anchor at 17:45
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I really enjoyed today. Thanks everyone! Write up later today (after sleeps :P)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Ahoy me Hearties :!:

Here be the results of our Buccaneering and Plundering of the salty seas....

Midshipman Glen (The Raven) Walkin The Plank 4hrs 35mins 34secs
2nd Mate Andrew (tractakid) Clapped in Irons 4hrs 24mins 55secs
Bosun Peter (greatkingrat) Sent to the Crows Nest 4hrs 18min 09secs
Cap'n Kev (Going Underground) Finding Buried Treasure 3hrs 56mins 02secs

Sailing and navigation details to follow ye scurvy dogs :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

After my brief visit to school I caught a taxi to get the 10:41 down to Euston, where I met up with Glen. He came with me as I did my scouting, which had the disadvantage of me giving my entire route away, but it was nice to have the company, and the use of his Station Master app to help with door positions. I think Glen may have picked up a couple of ideas, but I did pick up a couple too. Took the scouting at a leisurely pace, and arrived at Cannon street in plenty of time. I had expected to begin the challenge at 18:00, but the timings I had for then were fairly infeasible considering my on-foot pace. It was therefore good that the time had changed, as I had no knowledge of when the trains were, which meant I could just go for it.

Ah yes, of course, begin with a stopwatch failure, meaning I started it 30 seconds late after failing at 0 and 20 seconds. >_> We just made it onto the train, and it was crowded xD, thats my excuse.

All was going really well, Glen and I had 2 variations on a theme for the majority of the beginning of the route, and gained and lost time equally. He was a train up at Moorgate, but I almost made the Walthamstow train ahead of him at Highbury and Islington. (saw doors close and leave) We ended up on the same Seven Sisters terminator (groan), but only met at Blackhorse Road, oddly ending up at opposite ends of the platform.

The funniest moment was at Turnpike Lane. I had the better door position, and I started to dash cross-platform, but I could see that the doors were closing so I slowed down, and Glen caught up. The doors then re-opened, and Glen’s superior speed meant that he dodged round the door leaving me on the outside. This was not good, and Glen was teasing me through the window. The doors then proceeded to re open a second time, allowing me to board and leaving Glen rather disappointed :P

At Kings Cross, it was good to see a Met train there, which meant we avoided a change at Baker Street. As it was an all-stations Chesham train, Glen and I both decided to change at Harrow on the Hill, as an Uxbridge train was only 3 minutes behind. To our horror, the train had been lying to us, as we realised when we sailed past the vital Preston Road. This meant we had to do a double-back, missing our intended train and the one after. The train after that was a Watford, which we got to HotH, then finally waiting a few minutes for the next Uxbridge.

This turned out to be the train that Peter was on, so it was a group of 3 of us until we went to our different door positions at Hanger Lane. They made the run a few minutes faster than me, but as they had to wait 9 minutes for a train I had plenty of time to catch up. Peter and I were both headed to Goldhawk road, did so by different means, and both just missed the same train, dashing up the stairs simultaneously. I went via the Wood Lane double back, he decided to run from Shepherds Bush. Thankfully the next one was close behind. We both managed to doze off and failed to get in the required door position. If we had have done, we would have bumped into Kev, who now had a slight advantage on us for doing the Warwick Avenue dash. Turns out that he was well ahead of us both already. Due to both of them having superior fitness, they both made it a few minutes ahead of me, but they were waiting for the train as I arrived :D For a brief moment all 4 of us were there, Glen having gone in the opposite direction, dashing up the escalator about to make his run. Kev departed in a different direction as we arrived at Edgware Road (circle), while Peter and I had to head down to Gloucester Road. It was fairly clear to me at this point what the order of finish would be, I knew Kev would win, and as I still had the chancery double back to do, Peter would change at TCR and beat me. I reckoned I would beat Glen, as he did the Warwick dash later than me and had to go a longer way round. This was confirmed by his absence at Chancery Lane and TCR.

Considering the epic Metropolitan fail, which effectively condemned me and Glen, I was pleased to beat Glen. This only leaves the question... what if? I reckon I may have been within one train of Peter. It would have been close.

Well done Kev, great time and a deserved victory, even if you were very fortunate with all your transfers ;)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nice write up Andrew, glad you enjoyed it and good to keep the tradition going on this one :)

Well after somehow squeezing on the Upminster train at Cannon St I guessed that we would all be doubling back at Bow Road and following that zero minute connection I continued to have amazing luck with my next 8 - 9 connections the highlight getting straight on an Uxbridge train at Kings X which luckily stopped at Preston Road :wink: :lol:
My first minor delay was a 4 min wait at Hanger Lane and then 5 mins at Gloucs Rd and then 4 mins at Warwick Ave....

That was quite a surreal moment at Warwick Ave. I boarded the train at Hammermsith and didn't know that Peter and Andrew had also been on this as I would have expected to see them in the corerct carriage for Royal Oak :wink:

I had been running for sometime when I heard footsteps behind me and just thought it was a jogger but then Peter appeared at my side and I thought he said "some kids are behind us" when he had said tracktakid :!:

So after a 3min wait with Peter at Warwick Ave Andrew appeared closely followed by Glen getting off a Northbound Bakerloo to run the opposite way....All very bizzare!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tangy wrote:For full details of all stations that need to be visited on the RSL challenge, and current times, please see the appriorate tab on the Top Times website. See link in my signature.

Tangy perhaps you can update the 4 times in my post above on your website please?

Didn't realise how close I was to the record, in fact my last change at TCR I did have another 3 min wait I had forgotten about having just missed a train as I ran round the corner.... Shame that :(
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

My Route

Cannon Street :arrow: Bow Road :arrow: Mile End :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: RUN :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Blackhorse Road :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: Turnpike Lane :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Harrow-on-the-hill :arrow: Preston Road :arrow: Harrow-on-the-hill :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: Park Royal :arrow: Hanger Lane :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: High Street Kensington :arrow: Edgware Road :arrow: Edgware Road :arrow: Warwick Avenue :arrow: Royal Oak :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Chancery Lane :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Mornington Crescent

Firstly thanks to Kev, Andrew and Pete for a great day out. Yes, the biggest mistake was the "All stations to Chesham" Met train. Can anyone confirm what services depart form which platforms at Wembley Park? Also, I didn't stick to my pre-planned route and went for a do-or-die attempt!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Ugh, I have come down with a bad case of tubeitis- a sore throat, sore legs, and a really runny nose :(

For clarification, my route was Cannon Street, Bow Road, Mile End, Liverpool Street, Run to Moorgate, Old Street, NR to Highbury and Islington, Blackhorse Road, Finsbury Park, Turnpike Lane, Kings Cross, Rayners Lane, Park Royal, Hanger Lane, White City, Goldhawk Road, Royal Oak, Warwick Avenue, Edgware Road, Edgware Road, High Street Kensington, Green Park, Bond Sreet, Chancery Lane, Tottenham Court Road, Mornington Crescent

with a little Metropolitan diversion... :roll:
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

is there any chance of a little more warning next year KEV i,ve loved to been able to get time off and join this!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Sorry for not been at this event as I had planned to be but automotive trouble meant I had to stay and fix it rather than run round the Tube....
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

palkanetoijala31 wrote:is there any chance of a little more warning next year KEV i,ve loved to been able to get time off and join this!

Funnily enough Sept 19th :wink: Which happens to be a Thursday so depending on darts may be on the 18th....

So keep both dates free for now
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Crumbs that was bad luck at Preston Road! I'm not sure I've ever encountered that.

A bit of grammar...
tractakid wrote:...If we had have done, we would have bumped...
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Starkey7 wrote:Crumbs that was bad luck at Preston Road! I'm not sure I've ever encountered that.

A bit of grammar...
tractakid wrote:...If we had have done, we would have bumped...
Corrections are more helpful if they have explanations alongside. :)