Scouting Stories

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Iain
All Zones

Scouting Stories

Post by Iain »

Okay this can be an onerous task, but there's usually something that happens to me, so I thought it might be amusing to have a thread for people's experiences.

After the weekend's R15 I realised that while I knew a lot of the common door positions now, some of the less common ones, particularly involving the overground, were unknown to me. Armed with a list of those, a few central stations that I hadn't got yet such as Green Park, plus a few odds and ends, I set out at 9:30 this morning.

1) I'd been looking at the Snaresbrook to Wood Street section and wondered if there waas a better bus or a quicker way to do it. It suddenly occurred to me that going round the pond was not the shortest route - a straight line would be better. A quick look at Streetview showed that there was a gate in the fence at about the right place after running down from Snaresbrook, so I went exploring what lay beyond this. It started well, a bit of a road up to the court building, then some nice flat grass. All going well so far. I'd hoped after this that there be some earth tracks or something, surely people walked over this bit? Instead there were lots of prickly plants, uneven ground, and eventually I turned back. Maybe it was better down by the pond's edge? This was where I came unstuck - there was a large duck or immature swan (I'm not an ornithologist), and although I tried to skirt around it I obviously wound it up and it started waddling quickly towards me, squawking angrily. I beat a hasty retreat!

2) It had occurred to me that the frequent wait at Seven Sisters wasted time, but I knew some trains terminated there. Presumably they went out southwards again, so maybe it was a nice quick switch and we could move from our train that was waiting to swap drivers to one that left quicker? I found the relevant platform, but it was empty. The mysterious platform 4! Then I saw a sign that said that no trains departed from that platform. This seemed odd. I head back to the southbound platform, but as I crossed over the tunnel for platform 4, a train pulled in. Weirder and weirder! So apparently they arrive there but they don't depart? Or at least not with passengers on board maybe?

3)About 9pm, and I'd been at it most of the day, save an hour to eat a curry in a 'spoons. I even paid £1.50 extra for the "feast" option (definitely worth it), and felt sleepy all afternoon. I decided to do one more station, Green Park, and then head home. In my semi-comatose state, I got confused and thought I'd arrived on the southbound Vic, rather than the southbound Jub. I had a burst of excitement as I discovered that going up one staircase and down the one immediately opposite led me to the Jubilee platforms - a Vic to Jub switch that took about 15 seconds! This was fantastic, it was an event of nearly ******** brilliance! It wasn't for another ten minutes that I realised I was confused, and my hopes were dashed :(
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Scouting Stories

Post by greatkingrat »

Trains that terminate at Seven Sisters empty out in platform 4, then use the access road to Northumberland Park Depot to reverse in, before returning to platform 5 and heading south. So there is no possibility of getting a train ahead of yourselves.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Thanks for clarifying that, I did wonder if they did a double back and back into platform five, but it seemed a bit unnecessary. I suppose it means if there's another terminator not far behind that they don't get in each other's way. I didn't realise the depot was there (isn't it the only part of the Vic that's above ground?)
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Apparently 1 in 3 trains terminate at Seven Sisters. Well the whole line, bar the depot is underground. You can see the depot from the main road that runs along side it. The only way to leave platform 4 is to be a Victoria Line driver as certain trains take staff to and from the depot. For more information, watch the Video 125 thingy on the Viccy Line, I'm too tired to remember more facts ;)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Yes, you can depart northbound from platform 4 towards Walthamstow as the first one or two trains from Seven Sisters- Walthamstow at the start of service come direct from the depot and start in passenger service from platform 4. These trains use a crossover immediately upon departure to gain the n/b Walthamstow track.

This platform 4 facility is also useful when engineering work or other failure closes the section south of Seven Sisters as it enables a Walthamstow- Seven Sisters shuttle to be set up. Trains arrive s/b into 5, shunt via the depot tunnel to re-emerge and depart from platform 4 back north.

The depot is the only bit of the Victoria Line that is above ground and lies in between the A1055 Watermead Way and the National Rail line from Tottenham Hale.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I once slept in a tent and had a campfire. Does that count as a scouting story?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

bonus point if you know (WITHOUT googling/wikiepedia) why that platforms as Seven Sisters are 3,4 and 5 - and not 1,2 and 3.

the Carto Metro map is rather brilliant, but i have found a couple of mistakes on it. the track layout to the west of Northfields is wrong, and it's got the platform numbers at Plaistow back front as well. makes me wonder what other bits are on there that aren't 100% ...
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

geofftech wrote:bonus point if you know (WITHOUT googling/wikiepedia) why that platforms as Seven Sisters are 3,4 and 5 - and not 1,2 and 3.

the Carto Metro map is rather brilliant, but i have found a couple of mistakes on it. the track layout to the west of Northfields is wrong, and it's got the platform numbers at Plaistow back front as well. makes me wonder what other bits are on there that aren't 100% ...
Because the NR station existed prior to the building of the Victoria Line, and already used platform numbers 1 & 2?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Although Tottenham Hale/Blackhorse Road/Walthamstow are all numbered 1 & 2, even though these numbers were already used in the NR stations.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Roger
Zone 1

Post by Roger »

geofftech wrote:the Carto Metro map is rather brilliant, but i have found a couple of mistakes on it. the track layout to the west of Northfields is wrong, and it's got the platform numbers at Plaistow back front as well. makes me wonder what other bits are on there that aren't 100% ...
With any large thing as complex and detailed as the map, there are bound to be a few mistakes, although I think there are very few. If an error is found and reported to Franklin, he checks and corrects the map as necessary. I agree about the platform numbers at Plaistow, but I can't find anything wrong west of Northfields. Can you tell me where the mistake is?

Thanks
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

i'd have to go back and stand on the bridge that overlooks the depot (as i was several weeks ago) and compare it again, because i can't exactly recall what it was - i just remember thinking "eh? that's not what's on the map!", and i'll let you know.

hello Roger. you appear to be new! were you googling around for mention of the Franklin map, and found us discussing it?
Roger
Zone 1

Post by Roger »

geofftech wrote:i'd have to go back and stand on the bridge that overlooks the depot (as i was several weeks ago) and compare it again, because i can't exactly recall what it was - i just remember thinking "eh? that's not what's on the map!", and i'll let you know.

hello Roger. you appear to be new! were you googling around for mention of the Franklin map, and found us discussing it?
Very new!
I didn't google it, Franklin noticed the comment and sent me the link.
I've checked on Google Earth and it looks OK. There is one area where it could possibly look as if it might be wrong, depending on what angle you look at it, although the actual route is shown correctly. Perhaps a slight realignment would make it clearer. I shan't say where it is, though until you've told me where you think the error is :)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Ok .. so Franklin is a lurker. HELLO to you, as you're now reading this thread.

Next time i'm down at Northfields way, i will look, double-check and confirm. But i think i know the refinement to which you already mention, yes! i agree! (but will wait until i see it with my own eyes...)
Roger
Zone 1

Post by Roger »

Franklin has now uploaded V2.6 of the London CartoMetro map:
http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-tram-london/
This now includes a lot of NR tracks.
Download the PDF version for higher resolution so you can see all the details

See if Northfields now shows what you thought it should be :)
Franklin says Hello

Roger