Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Sunday Quickfire Quiz XII (6/11/11)

Post by Going Underground »

Prog rock :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

This quiz is slightly different. Below are quotes from specific Wikipedia articles. Please PM me what the article is about.

1. Was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The Great Western Hotel was built on Praed Street in front of the station in 1851-1854 by architect Philip Charles Hardwick. Platforms 6 and 7 are dedicated to the Heathrow Express.

2. The story takes place in a kingdom of anthropomorphic lions in Africa. Highest-grossing hand-drawn film in history. Drew much inspiration from Hamlet.

3. Is a country located at the crossroads of Central and Southeastern Europe. Has 16 international airports. One of the most common dishes is mămăliga, a cornmeal mush served on its own or as an accompaniment.

4. Reese Witherspoon, American actress. Beverley Knight, English singer. Earliest day on which Easter Sunday can fall.

5. Teaching and research university established in 1868. Flowing into the main campus are two branches of Strawberry Creek. Motto in English: Let There Be Light

6. Played by teams of 15 on a rectangular grass pitch with H-shaped goals at each end. It has strict rules on player amateurism. If the ball goes over the crossbar, a point is scored and a white flag is raised by an umpire. A Point can be scored by either kicking the ball over the crossbar, or by fisting it over in which case the hand must be closed whilst striking the ball. If the ball goes below the crossbar, a goal, worth three points, is scored, and a green flag is raised by an umpire. A goal can only be scored by kicking the ball into the net, you cannot fist pass the ball into the net. However, a player can strike the ball into the net with a closed fist if the ball was played to him by another player or came in contact with the post/crossbar/ground prior to connection.

7. Originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, before ending at Los Angeles. Officially removed on June 27, 1985. It was recognized in popular culture by a hit song.

8. From 1672 he governed as Stadtholder. In what became known as the "Glorious Revolution", on 5 November 1688 invaded England. Participated in several wars against the powerful Catholic king of France, Louis XIV.

9. Maintained at an orbit between 296 km (184 mi) and 421 km (262 mi) altitude and travelled at an average speed of 27,700 km/h (17,200 mph), completing 15.7 orbits per day. Deorbit on 21 March 2001. Was visited by astronauts and cosmonauts from 12 different nations.

10. First isolated by Humphry Davy in 1807. Present in great quantities in the Earth's oceans and other stagnant bodies of water. Melting point of 97.72 °C
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Sorry
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

The results are in! As you may of notice the answers where the result of me pressing the "random article" button on Wikipedia ten times!

The answers
1. Paddington Station
2. The Lion King
3. Romania
4. March 22nd
5. University of California, Berkeley
6. Gaelic Football
7. US Route 66
8. William of Orange
9. Mir Space Station
10. Sodium

The Results
6th jbom 61 points and a 10/10
5th greatkingrat 65 points
4th going underground 70 points
3rd sam 88 points and a 10/10
2nd Nigel 90 points and a 10/10
1st dudey 93 points and a 10/10

Fantastic people!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Yay I can use Google ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Sam wrote:Yay I can use Google ;)
Take advantage of it while you can because quickfire quiz XIII is going evil! :twisted:
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

The Raven wrote: As you may of notice the answers where the result of me pressing the "random article" button on Wikipedia ten times!
Really! :shock: I knew most of these without the need to look them up. However, just to try it, I've just pressed the random article on Wikipedia and 9 out of the 10 articles that came up I'd never heard of at all, let alone been able to answer a question about.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

The Raven wrote:
Sam wrote:Yay I can use Google ;)
Take advantage of it while you can because quickfire quiz XIII is going evil! :twisted:
Probably won't affect me because I won't be in a position to enter :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Oh look, I won again. This was obviously a good warm up for me as the following my team won a £100 pot in a pub quiz! :D