The Sunday Quickfire quiz! 5 (Closed and Flame shields up!)

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: The Sunday Quickfire quiz! 5

Post by tubeguru »

The Raven wrote:
tubeguru wrote:With question one, you didn't even specify the London Underground, hence my previous question. You should therefore have allowed the furthest west station named.
That would still be Eastcote. I wonder though what are the futhest north, west, east, south stations in the world in terms of latitude?
That was what I meant. Your wording of the questiom means that any statiom in the world could be accepted. You didn't specify London. Is this sinking in?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Raven wrote:
tubeguru wrote:With question one, you didn't even specify the London Underground, hence my previous question. You should therefore have allowed the furthest west station named.
That would still be Eastcote. I wonder though what are the futhest north, west, east, south stations in the world in terms of latitude?
And you measure east/west distances in terms of longitude ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

For someone who didn't enter the quiz Tubrguru, you're commenting the most.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

The Raven wrote:
garion24wales wrote:Two things I will point out:

1: you didnt specify either geographically or on a map for question 1. On the map, hounslow east is further west and I'm sure that's the idea we all had for that question. How are we able to know or guess if the question isn't clear enough?

2: unless it's me, question 2 was a bit vague as I thought you were asking to name a/any station that was closed in that period, not for the one specific station.
Sorry for the lack of clarity
1. All question based on geography will be based on real life rather than the geography of the tube map.
2. I should have put "and reopened in 1998"
Well you didn't say any of those so technically in a way, my answers should count only because the lack of clarity on your part. How am I supposed to know or assume what the true question is? The question you post is the question asked so if you did want it geographically or one specific station, then you should have been more clear. I'm not having a go, I'm just saying I feel penalized only because of your lack of clarity in your questions.

You said all questions will be based on real life...so like you're implying all future questions will be based on that statement. Again, because you didnt say that before the quiz or in the question, how was I supposed to know which way to go for?
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

At the end of the day it's a fun quiz on a forum with no prizes at the end of it - does it really matter that much?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Eastcote is further west than Hounslow East. That is a fact of geography. If the map shows otherwise, that simply means that the map is wrong, it doesn't make Hounslow East a correct answer.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Steeevooo wrote:At the end of the day it's a fun quiz on a forum with no prizes at the end of it - does it really matter that much?
Well no, its just like...in the nicest way possible because I actually like the quizzes, but why have a quiz when the questions aren't clear enough for people to understand? I dont know about the rest of you but didn't a lot of people also say Hounslow East? Did they look on the map or look on a proper road map?
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

greatkingrat wrote:Eastcote is further west than Hounslow East. That is a fact of geography. If the map shows otherwise, that simply means that the map is wrong, it doesn't make Hounslow East a correct answer.
And true, but the question didn't state "on the map" or "in real life" so I had to make a choice based on what I could see on the screen...
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

The awkward moment where you finally realise just how utterly pedantic we all are...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I'm trying not to be pedantic. Its just the wording of the questions. Even my girlfriend who was with me at the time thought the answer to 1 was Hounslow.
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Having not entered the quiz and only read through the questions an hour or so ago, I fail to see where the ambiguity is in question one. A question that asks which station is the most *enter compass point here*, is clearly a geographic question. It is well known that the tube map is not a geographic representation, so if you use that as a basis, then you are clearly going to be misled. As Peter says above, it's a fact of geography.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

But I'm not from London and nor did I have any access to proper internet at the time (I was on my iphone) so couldn't have checked properly.
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I'm not sure how being from London has anything to do with it!! I didn't enter the quiz either but I don't think that question one is ambiguous :?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Steeevooo wrote:At the end of the day it's a fun quiz on a forum with no prizes at the end of it - does it really matter that much?
Thank you Steeevooo!

The main idea of these quizzes is to a have a little bit of fun at the end of the weekend!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Avast ye shipmates, I concur with able seaman Steeevooo.
One day I shall return!