Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Yorkie
Zone 3

Upton-upon-Severn Tube Challengers

Post by Yorkie »

From This is Worcestershire
First published on Saturday 23 April 2005:
Tube challenge ends in triumph

TWO intrepid county men who went Underground to raise money for their school have emerged victorious from the expedition.

Friends Rupert Chambers and Mike Morgan, from Upton-upon-Severn, set out to visit all 275 London Tube stations in as short a time as possible.

And while various problems prevented them visiting all of the stations, they still managed a whistle-stop tour of an astonishing 263.

"One of the stations was closed and football fans going to the Chelsea-Arsenal match caused a lot of problems with the others," said Mr Chambers, aged 39, of Longfield, who was accompanied by Mr Morgan, aged 42, of Mulberry Drive.

"But apart from that we were delighted with the effort. We used a tram and a bus to get us between some of the stations, and walked between others. We set out at 5.19am and returned at 00.54 on Thursday, and not once did we get bored."

The Tube Challenge raised £600 towards a £12,000 network of computers at Upton-upon-Severn Primary school, where they are chairman and vice-chairman of the Friends Association.

And as well as sponsoring the event, class five pupils at the school were also given the chance to chart the pair's progress with the help of a giant map and hourly reports.

Speaking before the event, their teacher, Sarah Shakles, said the children were looking forward to it.

"The children are very excited to be at the hub of it," she said.

According to the Guinness Book of Records the quickest anyone has visited all tube stations is 18 hours and 35 minutes.

And while they did not manage to break that this time, Mr Chambers signalled he would like to give it another go.

"I think we would do it again, we certainly haven't been deterred," he added.
Looks like they started at Chesham, anyone know any more?
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

They definatly started at Chesham but I couldn't say where they finished, maybe Upminster as that is quite a late time and I know Upmisnetr trains run to 0107 iirc.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

How many times will people fall into the trap of starting at Chesham before they learn?
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

It's because Chesham is further from Chalfont & Latimer than Amersham is, so it seems to make sense to do it first.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

If you aren't going for the record (simply aiming to complete the system in a day, which I might try for on my first attempt) then surely 04:52 Osterley to 01:32 Upminster is the way to go.

I believe that those are the first and last trains on the entire system. (20:40 seems like quite a long time to be on the go though)

Edit: If you're planning to get round in a day, but not to break the record, does this still count as the "Tube Challenge"?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The first train on the system is actually the 0440 Hammersmith to Aldgate. It's not much use though as it is so early that when you get off you'll have to wait for the other lines to start up.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I think the spirit of the Challenge is to do the stations in a day. It loks hard enough work as it is, without trying to break the record. I'd consider that the Tube Challenge, yes.

Let's not forget that some people get so far behind on their record attempts that they end up not finishing all the stations. That proves that it is a challenge in itself just to do all the stations in the first place!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk