One perfect day

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Nigel
Zone 5

One perfect day

Post by Nigel »

According to a freedom of inforamtion request to TfL there was only one day in the past year when there were no reported service delays on any Underground Line:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12733824

So all you need to do is pick that one day for your next attempt!
moley
Site Administrator

Re: One perfect day

Post by moley »

My personal opinion is that the 'perfect day' is not the best day to do a Tube Challenge.

Just becasue it was a "Good Service" all day long on every line does not mean that all trains run to timetable.

Imagine having a 60 second timetabled change at Earls Court from say a Richmond - Upminster train to a Edgware Road - Wimbledon train. Due to the 'perfect service' that train leaves 45 seconds early. You miss it.

The next train to Wimbledon is timetabled 4 minutes later, so you arrive at Wimbledon 4 minutes later than your original timetable. The knock on of this could easilly be 10 minutes by the end of the day.....

Oh such a perfect day..... I'm gald i spent it on the tube!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

It wouldn't be a "perfect service" if it left 45 seconds early, would it? I thought LU trains were timetabled to the nearest half-minute.

And, just as likely as the scenario which you described, would be that your 60 second timetabled change at Earls Court ends up being 5 minutes because your train is late (on an imperfect day). So you arrive at Wimbledon 4 minutes later than your original timetable. The knock on of this could easily be any number of minutes by the end of the day.

Delayed trains can be good luck or bad luck, but good service on all lines is definitely preferable to station closures and service cancellations.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

A Perfect Day is the trains you want at the time you want them.
Most records have been set with some delay on the system you just hope its not the train your on, or the ones in front of it.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

This was mentioned on the Going Underground blog run by Annie Mole. The comments were interesting, as the definition of 'Good Service' is apparently up to the individual Line Managers, and some are seemingly slightly more reticent to declare a problem than others...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I expect their bonus is tied into to number of days good service.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

I think what you need to set a record, as well as good planning and fitness, is luck, not necessarily a perfect service. I think it was Napoleon who said I don't wan't generals who are skillful, I wan't generals that are lucky.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nigel wrote:I think what you need to set a record, as well as good planning and fitness, is luck, not necessarily a perfect service. I think it was Napoleon who said I don't wan't generals who are skillful, I wan't generals that are lucky.
I echo what you say Nigel 1 particular train (not saying which) we caught could be attributed to Luck on that day.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

al wrote:This was mentioned on the Going Underground blog run by Annie Mole. The comments were interesting, as the definition of 'Good Service' is apparently up to the individual Line Managers, and some are seemingly slightly more reticent to declare a problem than others...
Indeed, the through Chesham service could be suspended and a shuttle used or even services cancelled and the Met will still show as Good Service (assuming no other issues).
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

While not wishing to appear as an apologist for LU's normally unreliable performance, if you believe the TfL Travel Alerts Twitter feed (which I know sometimes isn't 100% accurate), then yesterday (9 October 2012) there were no reported service disruptions on the Underground (just minor delays on the Trams first thing and the regular step-free access reports). If this is true, then I think this is the first time there has been a 'perfect day' since 11 May 2010!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Hmm. By chance, and for no good reason, I checked the departure board for Hanger Lane yesterday. (I think in the morning). Next WB departure was Grange Hill via Woodford. I doubt that is part of the timetable. Haha
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

There are several trains from Grange Hill to Central London via Woodford in the run up to the morning/evening peak but I don't think there are any booked trains in the opposite direction.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

greatkingrat wrote:There are several trains from Grange Hill to Central London via Woodford in the run up to the morning/evening peak but I don't think there are any booked trains in the opposite direction.
yes there are i have even seen it go through the depot at hainault and out other side