Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

All you need to know and discuss about the 2010 Zone 1 Challenge.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

Post by Soup Dragon »

I would say that the majority has been reached. There is no formal process to adopting the Z1 organiser so if Tangy want's to do it I'm sure that there won't be any objections.
One day I shall return!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

There can't be that much to do surely.

Organise date - Done
Organise meeting place - Probably done, haven't been paying much attention
Organise starting station names on pieces of paper - can't be too hard ;)
Organise post event meet up - Done.

So Tangy shouldn't find that too hard ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

I definitely want to compete in it (it will be my first time in the zone 1 challenge) and I don't particularly care who organises it (I don't think it is practical to reach majority - how do you define majority?), so I would be fine with Tangy organising it. I think it's best to get the organiser decided soon.

Re the first meeting place, I'm hoping that it will be near Oxford Circus because I'm hoping to get a train in to Euston* at 11:34 (any earlier and I will have to pay peak fares) - I should be able to get to Oxford Circus by 12:00, but other locations could be tight to get to by 12:00. It is also centrally based so easier for everyone to get to (every mainline terminus except Fenchurch Street has a direct route to Oxford Circus with only one tube train). One could ask people to meet outside exit number X of Oxford Circus station or alternatively use the Horse and Groom.

*Although I have previously used Wrexham and Shropshire into Marylebone, I probably won't be using it this time because the last train leaves at 18:30 - doesn't leave much time for hanging around afterwards.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I say Tangy organises it, with Tubeguru to help out with starting station choosing and post-challenge admin.

Let's get on with it. I can provide names of stations on pieces of paper quite easily.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
emmapeeler
Zone 1

Post by emmapeeler »

I'm having to pull out of this for a variety of personal reasons.

Will do this challenge for myself at a time when it's possible but even then, it would just be a personal challenge as opposed to any kind of record attempt.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Personally i 2nd Tangy to be organiser i suggest Garion help and i do too if he wishes as long as he gives me wine gums yummy.! i still do quiz though in which ever pub afterwards.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

moley wrote:<Mod hat firmly on>

I'm affriad that some people on here are all to quick to jump in and take over. Going Underground - did you ever get a response to your post? It appears not. Did you post that you had actually booked the room - it appears not. Out of courtesy if nothing else you could have emailed Geoff direct, sent a Private Message.

If Geoff had wanted help, he would have asked for it I'm sure. May I remind everyone that it was Geoff who basically devised and organised the first Zone 1 challenge some 6 years ago.

I can understand Geoff being p***ed off. This forum is now more about egos and less about tube challenging than ever.

<Mod hat off>
Moley being a 3 time Guinness world record holder and a admirer of Geoff through his TV exploits and last years organiser.I sympathise with the organisational efforts of a zone 1 challenge its a pain in the arse 1 thing i did do was plan well in advance Horse & groom was booked in Feb and Sam and Matt graciously (thank u) decide to go there and get everybody times last year.

The timing of his departure has kicked up a few problems but hopefully Tangy can resolve these I know my last effort was disjointed but i hope very enjoyable by all parties involved last year.I hope this year can have the most involved perhaps.?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

You're welcome. I felt the day was enjoyable despite not being able to take part and it all ran well without a certain person being there so no reason why this year should be any different :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I dont mind helping :) Just let me know what you want me to do and I'll do my best to do it! :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

So its me then...I will be helped on on the day (at the meet/start) by Laxmeesh.

In order for everyone to get prepare, here are some pointers that have already been sorted:

1. Meet up from 1130 (may NOT be OXC, am looking at a number of different meet up stations before choosing the best one).
--During this time you will decide who you wish to partner and you will get your official "team entry card" for your team name, members and finishing time (There will be a best team name prize, so the wittier the better). A photo of your team (once assembled) will be taken.

2. Tubeguru will then draw the starting station between 1200 and 1215 (but no later) from a suitably decorated cloth bag. Youw ill tehn make your way to that station and start planning for a start as near to 1300 as possible.

3. 1300, the challenge begins and once finished head back to the Horse and Groom (128 Great Portland Street for those who need a map finding it) and hand your team entry card to Tubeguru who will organise the results.

The Z1 challenge ship is now firmly back on course. Let the mayhem begin....
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Tangy, obviously its your decision and all that, but may I recommend meeting at OXC purely because literally everyone (or almost everyoe) knows where exactly to meet due to it being the meeting place for the previous events? By all means feel free to choose where ever you like, thats only my thoughts on it. :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Expressions of Interest

Your expressions of interest for this challenge can be made by emailing me (or via the frorum PM system), all contact details can be found on my profile. Please respond with "Z1 2010" as the title.

It is advisable to email/PM me (rather than just turn up on the day) so I know who I am expecting or not, if you are unsure of your attendance please state this on your expression of interest to me.

Formal invitations (with the finalised meeting place) will be sent out about a week in advance of the even to those who I have recieved expressions from.

Thanks
Tangy
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I suggest Tangy starts a new thread with the registration details so they will be easier to find.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

It seems that thought has worked its way dowbn the 34 route, as I had similar ideas.

For discussion about the Zone 1 2010 event with me as organiser, please see/use the other thread started by myself.

Thanks

Tangy.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Locked - to avoid confusion / duplication etc etc etc.......
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.