Tube Olympics - Full Network Attempt - 24th July

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
al
Zone 6

Re: Tube Olympics - Full Network Attempt - 24th July

Post by al »

I had a great time on my debut attempt at the 'big one' and would like to thank Ollie for agreeing to run with a complete newbie, and also to my girlfriend Sarah for agreeing to be invaluable as both food and drink supplier and next train information at selected points throughout the day.

I learnt a lot, such as how unfit I am and how annoying it is to miss the Harrow run, along with how useless my memory is in remembering to get witness statements at the right time or recording departure/arrival times in the log. I also gained invaluable info on runs and good ideas/bad ideas with routes and connections.

The day itself was a day of negligable 'great' changes (basically only Wimbledon-Morden and Mill Hill East), plenty of mediocre changes and a few too many poor changes. The Piccadilly line problems at the end of the day were our only network issues, however, and gave us the interesting situation of our train changing destination twice during the journey (initally T5, then Northfields, then Rayners Lane!).

Although I was prepared for this being my one and only attempt, I now feel I have to use the knowledge I have gained to try again and try and beat it, my only problem being that Ollie has now retired, so I will need someone else (or more) to run with. I doubt this will be until Spring, however, when the temperature and other conditions will be more favourable.

Thanks also to Antony for organising everything.

P.S. As an aside, the taxi driver from Terminal 5 to the Travelodge nearby said he should be charging me £55 for the journey as it went outside the Metropolitan Police area! :x For those who don't know, the hotel is all of 2 miles away, surely the most expensive taxi ever?! In the end I negotiated the 'bargain' rate of only £20. Not in much position to argue at gone midnight, however :(
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hwolge wrote:
dudey wrote:UPDATE 2248:

Andi James and Steven Karahan have taken the gold medal and got round all 269 in a time of

17hrs 12mins 43secs
Truly an achievement! I assume it was done with all the GWR requirements fulfilled... I think this will be extremely hard to beat.

On a side note, I also assume that there was only a minimum of support team door holding this time...
There should have been no support team door holding at all as the competitors in Tube Olympics should have had a level playing field for this event... What limited support was available during the day should only have been used for much needed drinks and also possibly to get ahead of the teams and provide information.....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Going Underground wrote:There should have been no support team door holding at all as the competitors in Tube Olympics should have had a level playing field for this event... What limited support was available during the day should only have been used for much needed drinks and also possibly to get ahead of the teams and provide information.....
The only door I interfered with all day was for a TFL employee who managed to get her rucksack stuck in the door as she jumped on as the beeps went!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Soup Dragon wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote: I have actually just realised i am the first person since Bob Robinson 2000 to actually lose a record and get a record in the same second.
Of course that's subject to Guinness confirming both records. The same would have applied to Phillip, Jamie and myself with our December 2007 attempt but the good people at Guinness rejected that attempt because it was done on a Saturday.
Well should both be confirmed and it wont be too much longer i hope for at least 1 of them i be in a select group of 4 people Robert Robinson,Peter Robinson,Timothy Clark and myself.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

A slightly belated video from the 2008 Tube Olympics, witness the TOSA commenting on his lost camera and the GWR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CkpzOlMDrM
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soup Dragon wrote:A slightly belated video from the 2008 Tube Olympics, witness the TOSA commenting on his lost camera and the GWR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CkpzOlMDrM
A sad moment we had some pretty good snaps taken that day :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold