Berlin U-Bahn challenge?

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
snudge27
All Zones

Re: Berlin U-Bahn challenge?

Post by snudge27 »

Right; sitrep at 1547hrs...

I'm at Prinzenstrasse on the U1 with 2h05 until I pass the current record time with 40 stations to go. I'm not sure if I'm going to beat Gasman's time, but it's going to be close!

Either way it'll be a new record though as I don't believe the new U55 was open for Gasman's attempt...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

And...?
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Indeed the U55 was not open then.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Right, back home so here's the story:

Start: Honow - 1019hrs
End: Rudow - 1753hrs

Time: 07:34:50

So just a tantalising 1m23s off Gasman's time.

All in all though, a very good and enjoyable day from start to end, with the usual collection of highs and lows

General Highs
Very good connections 95% of the time
Bus stops directly outside stations
Catching two or three trains that I thought I'd missed
A couple of buses/trains that weren't on my timetable

General Lows
A couple of bus stops nowhere near their "parent" stations
A couple of buses that just refused to turn up
Not "giving it the beans" in a couple of situations where I ended up missing a train by seconds
A couple of poor door/carriage choices which gave me some nasty full-platform-length runs

...and a little more specifically

Low Losing about 10mins having made the wrong choice in a situation where I could double-back or take a bus
High Gaining some of the lost time through an untimetabled train
Low Missing a train by about 5s by not "giving it the beans"
High An unscheduled bus saving the day
Low Missing a train because of said bus dropping me miles from the station and having to cross four sets of very unhelpful traffic lights!
Low Realising that the route I'd planned (from a couple of years back) didn't cater for the U55
High Working out that I didn't have to adjust my route to fit the U55 in, and that I hadn't reached the crucial point yet anyway
Low Losing about 10mins by choosing the wrong end of the U55 to start at!
Low Sprinting off a bus for about 100yds in the wrong direction, then missing the train I needed by about 10s
Low Going in to the last change of my route with the indicator board on the stairs telling me I'd missed my train (and the record at this point)
High Coming down the stairs to see that the train was still at the platform and deciding to give it the beans
Low A very fat, ugly German coming the other way deciding to, very deliberately, step into my path
High A very kind German holding the doors of said train for me
Low Three unexplained, unnecessary stops of 30 seconds to one minute apiece on the last train, which (even if everything else had still happened) single-handedly cost me the record!!

Adding it all up, I'd say that mistakes on my part cost me about 30mins overall, so I think that sub-7 is certainly possible on the pre-U55 route, and possibly on today's route too.

As an aside, I think I can say I notionally beat the old record too, seeing as adding in the U55 cost me about 25mins thus:

U6 -> Friedrichstrasse
Friedrichstrasse -> Brandenburger Tor
Brandenburger Tor -> Hauptbahnhof
Hauptbahnhof -> Friedrichstrasse
:wink:
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Is the U55 southern terminus currently called Brandenburger Tor, or Unter den Linden? Different places on the web say different things.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

al wrote:Is the U55 southern terminus currently called Brandenburger Tor, or Unter den Linden? Different places on the web say different things.
Brandenburger Tor. The old S-Bahn station was called Unter den Linden; but the name was changed to Brandenburger Tor upon completion of the U-Bahn part of the station as the name Unter den Linden will be reused for a further station on the U5 extension which will link the U55 to the main network.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Couldn't resist an early plus for ESC 2010, who could forget Norway 1990 with Brandenburger Tor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ju0PiIgs9o
One day I shall return!
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

I've mentioned it already on this thread (http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=1645), but I was thinking: why don't we see if we could organise a trip to Berlin for members of this forum to challenge the Berlin U-Bahn? On the other thread I linked to, uefacup81 (who now lives in Berlin) said that you could do smaller challenges such as random 15s. Perhaps go for a week and make a holiday out of it (organising travel and accommodation); this will enable us to get two or three challenges in, including the full network (takes about 7 1/2 hours) and a random 15. People can use spare days either to look around/get used to the U-Bahn system or look around Berlin generally (be nice to do at least one or two touristy things unrelated to tube challenging).

Soup Dragon, you mentioned on the other thread about trying to organise one or more continental challenges; is there any chance of getting something like this organised some time next year? (I'm thinking April/May might be the best time to go - the weather should be warmer than in winter which will make it more pleasant, but not uncomfortably hot which it might be in June, July or August). Perhaps even (this is for the future though) consider going further afield to places such as New York or Sydney! (I'd say definitely start with a European city though). Berlin would be a good place to start, because we've got uefacup81 who knows the city and the system and so could 'show us the ropes', as it were. I'd be up for going to Berlin for a week next year.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I agree with Joe that it would be quite good to make a week out of this and do a few other challenges whilst in Berlin. I would love to do something this year but funds are a bit tight at the moment. I think we should plan for something next year, who else would be interested in going to Berlin?
One day I shall return!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Soup Dragon wrote:who else would be interested in going to Berlin?
I'll register a tentative interest in this. It'll depend on time and money, of course. Berlin's one of my favourite cities and it'd be nice to have an excuse to go there again.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
taro85
Zone 1

Post by taro85 »

Hi all,

attempting an S-Bahn challenge this Saturday June 14, 2014. Aiming for under 16 hours, we'll try to cover every line segment (except on one segment where the line is not operating currently we'll just visit the one station on that segment, btw. Neukölln and Baumschulenweg).

We also plan on filming it and putting it online (link to follow). Any recommendations are most welcome!

Thanks,
David
taro85
Zone 1

Post by taro85 »

Following up on the announced S-Bahn run:

Start 05.24
Finish 22.25

Time 17h 01min.

We missed one early zero min connection at Oranienburg, which costed us about 30 min, and ultimately much more. There were some minor problems at the triangle of Treptower Park - Baumschulenweg - Neuköln. Since Neukölln - Baumschulenweg was closed we took a bus to get to Köllnische Heide.

Ultimately we managed to visit all stations (even the temporarily closed ones) and covered all line segments (except the closed ones from Neuköln to Baumschulenweg).

Some lessons:
- carefully think about where zero min changes are possible
- have a plan B worked out, and a plan C, and a plan D.
- three people is the absolute minimum, if you want to document it all carefully. 4 might be better.

high: great weather -> sun, storm, rain, clouds, all of it.
We filmed about 6 hours of it and made many picutures that will be put online in the close future :)
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the missed connection at Oranienburg - what do you reckon your time would have been had you made it?

How did you manage the other less-well-served stretches like Strausberg-Strausberg Nord, Zeuthen-Königs Wusterhausen, and Blankenburg-Hohen Neuendorf?

Where did you start and finish?
meiadeleite
Zone 1

Post by meiadeleite »

I've been thinking about giving the U-bahn challenge a go soon, before I move out of Berlin later this year. I'm a complete newbie, but in theory (and with a lot of luck), I think I should be able to do in 7h30m or so. I still want to try to calculate a few different configurations before giving it a go, but I'd be happy to come close to snudge27's time!
meiadeleite
Zone 1

Post by meiadeleite »

So I did it! The final time was 8:02 - which was nowhere near the time I had calculated, but that's alright!

All the stations were open, but there was a shuttle service on small sections of two of the lines, though in the end I don't think that had a big impact on the final time. I could have done a better job if I had run more and caught a few tight connections... but towards the end I was just tired. My teammate was keen on running, so we ended up doing a lot of that, and it turned out to be quite the unexpected workout. As I chased him up four sets of escalators in Hauptbahnhof, I could only think "Why the hell didn't I plan this change coming down, instead of going up?!"

But it was an interesting experience! I had fun, and enjoyed discovering new stations and planning the route especially — I think that was actually the best part of it for me. I'll leave the professional running to you guys now! :)