New Year?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

New Year?

Post by RichieG »

Obvously not one I can do, but as the Tube is running all night over 31 Dec 09 and 1 Jan 10, is anybody (Andi, I'm looking at you for some reason...) planning a Full Network during the night? Could be an interesting concept and also one that might give GWR a headache if the record is broken... (or will it not count as overnight running isn't a standard timetable?)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
palkanetoijala31

Re: New Year?

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

RichieG wrote:Obvously not one I can do, but as the Tube is running all night over 31 Dec 09 and 1 Jan 10, is anybody (Andi, I'm looking at you for some reason...) planning a Full Network during the night? Could be an interesting concept and also one that might give GWR a headache if the record is broken... (or will it not count as overnight running isn't a standard timetable?)
Hmm well i do have the day off what enigineering works are happening the day after> new years day.?or new years eve
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

Buses will replace trains between Stonebridge Park and Queen’s Park, calling at all intermediate stations

All stations served by the Tube will be open throughout New Year’s Night with the following exceptions:

Arsenal (closed 1900-0700)
Blackfriars (closed throughout) - pass-through acceptable as it's a long term planned closure
Boston Manor (closed 1900-0700)
Cannon Street (closed 2100-0730)
Charing Cross (exit only from 2345, entrance restored no later than 0300)
Covent Garden (exit only from 1900, entrance restored no later than 0300)
Embankment (closed 2345, reopening by 0015)
Heathrow Terminal 4 (closed 0009-0459)
Kensington (Olympia) (closed 2350-0705)
Lambeth North (closed 2330, reopening by 0300)
Leicester Square (open for interchange and exit only between 2000 and 0015;
open before/after these times)
North Ealing (closed 1900-0700)
Russell Square (closed 2100-0700)
Sudbury Hill (closed 1900-0700)
Westminster (open for interchange and exit only after 2130, closed 2200, reopening no later than 0200)
Wood Green (closed 1900-0700)
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

RichieG wrote:Could be an interesting concept and also one that might give GWR a headache if the record is broken... (or will it not count as overnight running isn't a standard timetable?)
Flaming GWR go beyond the call of duty in rejecting certain attempts. I can't see that going through the night is Sharp Practice. It's still a public service, and the state of the timetable at different times on different days really, really shouldn't matter. It's up to individual contestants to choose when they make their attempts, and if they want to stay up all night and use a reduced service, then they're probably just making things harder for themselves - so definitely should not be disallowed the record.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

jbom wrote:All stations served by the Tube will be open throughout New Year’s Night with the following exceptions:
< Snip List... >
That's actually quite impressive - I'd have thought some of the outlying stations (Amersham/Chesham and Epping/Hainault Loop) would've been closed too...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

jbom wrote:I'd have thought some of the outlying stations (Amersham/Chesham and Epping/Hainault Loop) would've been closed too...
Yes, but they need to allow people like me to get the tube home.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I don't think Guinness would allow an attempt with the closure of the Bakerloo between Stonebridge Park ans Queens Park, but if anyone is mad enough to want to attempt the record on New Years Eve then I say good luck to you.
One day I shall return!
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Soup Dragon wrote:I don't think Guinness would allow an attempt with the closure of the Bakerloo between Stonebridge Park ans Queens Park, but if anyone is mad enough to want to attempt the record on New Years Eve then I say good luck to you.
But you can do that on the Watford DC (Overground) Line within the rules...
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
palkanetoijala31

Wanstead wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:I don't think Guinness would allow an attempt with the closure of the Bakerloo between Stonebridge Park ans Queens Park, but if anyone is mad enough to want to attempt the record on New Years Eve then I say good luck to you.
But you can do that on the Watford DC (Overground) Line within the rules...
That would work if the overground wasnt suspended as well i think any attempts would logically be delayed until jan 4th.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Another interesting question, which may or may not have been discussed before, is would GWR accept an 'overnight' challenge when there was no overnight service? Basically, you'd have a 4 hour period between 0100 and 0500 when you couldnt get anywhere so it's probably impossible to break it in that manner. But theoretically speaking?
palkanetoijala31

jonny wrote:Another interesting question, which may or may not have been discussed before, is would GWR accept an 'overnight' challenge when there was no overnight service? Basically, you'd have a 4 hour period between 0100 and 0500 when you couldnt get anywhere so it's probably impossible to break it in that manner. But theoretically speaking?
To be blatantly stupid it would be not be a good idea to do overnight and why should u have a 4 hour break they dont so that for normal challenges like continous tv watching only pee breaks.Its different to the question of Soup dragons attempt dec 2007 when correctly they picked on a saturday when all stations were open (a rarity indeed) and should have been ratified.

their 17h 30m is like their 17h 56m give or take +8min wait t4 and 4 for getting down t5 and waitingt time.?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

No, I don't think that it's the same as the continuous records, Andi. The TV watching one, for example, is spending the longest possible time to do a set task. With a Tube Challenge on the other hand, it's spending the shortest time. After all, if you were running a marathon, but decided to have a nice little half hour break midway through for a couple of sandwiches and a cheeky pint, you'd hardly be disqualified!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Just to clarify (I wonder if Andi misunderstood what I meant?) the stopwatch would keep counting overnight, rather than pausing for a 'break'.

I'm not suggesting it'd be a good idea, either...
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

On the current network, of course, the issue doesn't really arise since it is clearly possible to do it in one day, and obviously quicker than leaving the clock running for four hours overnight. A quick read of the rules suggests that there's no explicit requirement to do it in a single day - and I think everyone's happy that day means service day and going from 7:00 to 00:30 would be fine. However, weekends are excluded by the letter of the law, so a two day attempt could presumably only be done starting on Mon-Thurs. The rules are explicit that the stopwatch continues to run during any break.

It's something of an historical accident that theTube has continued to be doable in a day throughout various network changes. Where fututure expansion to occur, this might not be the case. New York, for instance, can't be done in 17-18 hours, but fortunately has a subway that never sleeps - hence overnight breaks don't arise. Wider tunnels may facilitate maintenance while trains continue to run (I've heard this stated)?

We have a couple of times on the league tables from November 2007 which went into a second service day. If you complete a challenge on the second day (without using car, taxi etc. in the interim), then I think the time is technically legal. Whether you consider yourself to have completed the challenge is up to you.