128 Snake Challenge - 24th July

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
mps247
Zone 4

Re: 128 Snake Challenge - 24th July

Post by mps247 »

greatkingrat wrote:Why finish at Southall? Surely you can add on at least one more station by continuing to Hanwell or West Drayton.
It's more to do with actual train times. By the time you end up in Southall, there are no more trains calling at Hanwell. It would be great if you could get to West Ealing and finish in South Greenford, but it can't be done. That's not to say it is impossible - I can probably start the route earlier as I used the departure time of the first direct all-station service from Vauxhall as a reference. Perhaps running the route in reverse would be better... I haven't looked into it yet.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

scrxisi wrote:You could wait a day for a suitable service, since it's all on paper, and rush your numbers up :)
Sorry, I misunderstood this! In that case, I get 272 for a Pimlico start, South Greenford finish.
Going Underground wrote:Still less time than a GWR, never say never :P
:lol: Slightly off-topic, but has anybody ever considered a full-network pursuit?
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

OK, I have got the number up to 299 with an Epping start and South Greenford finish... I'm going to stop now...
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

mps247 wrote:Slightly off-topic, but has anybody ever considered a full-network pursuit?
What do you do with the rest of the day if you get caught at Chalfont?
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

jbom1 wrote:
mps247 wrote:Slightly off-topic, but has anybody ever considered a full-network pursuit?
:lol: Go to the pub! Oh no, wait! It'll be 6 in the morning! Ermmm... check out the sights, then go to the pub! What's there to see around Chalfont & Latimer station, and can it occupy 6 hours of one's time?
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

mps247 wrote:
jbom1 wrote:
:lol: Go to the pub! Oh no, wait! It'll be 6 in the morning! Ermmm... check out the sights, then go to the pub! What's there to see around Chalfont & Latimer station, and can it occupy 6 hours of one's time?
You could start again with the teams reversed, That might fill some of the 6 hours.
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Either 315 or 320 going from South Greenford to Epping (depending on how many stations there are at Kings Cross).
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

mps247 wrote:
jbom1 wrote:
As someone who has been stuck in Chalfont for an hour at 6 in the morning before, I can tell you it is the complete arse-end of nowhere, and I've no idea as to why there is a station in such a location.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

For the reasons below, I think the full network is better as a straight race to the finish than as a pursuit race.

The lack of freedom to vary the route might be the biggest barrier to a successful full network pursuit. I don't realistically think you could fairly include in the route any servce less frequent than the starting gap (maybe 20 minutes - I guess the snake works because the least frequent servce is so early on), and it wouldn't be possible to work around delays (certainly if the other team were out of phone contact). Is it realistically possible to finish the full network without even a single route tweak along the way? Anyway, even if caught, I'd still like to try and finish!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I'm pretty sure Ollie and I finished our attempt last year without any tweaks - there are however several places where you may have an either/or scenario depending on the time you get there, or how things are looking (Uxbridge being one such place). That would make a true pursuit difficult, unless you enforced the route in advance which would potentially ruin a GWR attempt.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Going Underground wrote:I think the title of SOD is more suitable so I will get the rules clarified by the weekend hopefully..

To answer a few points, the 129 snake was when the ELL was still opertating.

We concluded last year that the new maximum snake configuration was 127 and it would seem that this attempt was now invalid as it should have been at least 128 :shock:

I will PM Hakan and request his input/clarification on the correct number/route..

Speaking with the "BERC" last night he suggested that start times be allocated prior to arrival at Epping as it seems that we may have a few teams taking part and you could be waiting around for 1 1/2 hours or so... This way mean that those wishing to team up would need to decide who they are partnering prior to the day itself. The draw for starting slots would be done by an independant person not taking part.
Therefore to set the ball rolling can you please add your name to the list below and confirm if you are seaking a team mate or not..

You will also notice that for the moment at least this has been re-titled 128 snake challenge and the date is Friday 24th July as this seems to suit most people.

Attending
Going Underground / Beer Baron (Team mate NOT required)
Pulling this back on topic, I missed this post originally, so adding myself to the list.

Attending
Going Underground / Beer Baron (Team mate NOT required)
Edgemaster (Team mate(s) required)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Tell me about it Tom, this has gone way off topic......... :shock:

The SOD will be posting the full and final details for this challenge on Monday so keep a look out 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Please see original topic post now amended with full details.... :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Going Underground wrote:Please see original topic post now amended with full details.... :)
I have loved to taken part in this but cant due to it being a friday is there any possibility next year of more warning.?
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I'll probably be able to make this but will confirm on Tuesday.

Also how long are we supposing that this challenge will take, last time it took just over 4 hours to reach Ealing Broadway...