128 Snake Challenge - 24th July

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
al
Zone 6

Re: 127 Snake Challenge - 21st, 22nd or 24th July

Post by al »

Better than Snake Hallowed Instigating Technician... :shock:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: 128 Snake Challenge - 24th July

Post by Going Underground »

I think the title of SOD is more suitable so I will get the rules clarified by the weekend hopefully..

To answer a few points, the 129 snake was when the ELL was still opertating.

We concluded last year that the new maximum snake configuration was 127 and it would seem that this attempt was now invalid as it should have been at least 128 :shock:

I will PM Hakan and request his input/clarification on the correct number/route..

Speaking with the "BERC" last night he suggested that start times be allocated prior to arrival at Epping as it seems that we may have a few teams taking part and you could be waiting around for 1 1/2 hours or so... This way mean that those wishing to team up would need to decide who they are partnering prior to the day itself. The draw for starting slots would be done by an independant person not taking part.
Therefore to set the ball rolling can you please add your name to the list below and confirm if you are seaking a team mate or not..

You will also notice that for the moment at least this has been re-titled 128 snake challenge and the date is Friday 24th July as this seems to suit most people.

Attending
Going Underground / Beer Baron (Team mate NOT required)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Re: 127 Snake Challenge - 21st, 22nd or 24th July

Post by Edgemaster »

jamesthegill wrote:
Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Also, perhaps from now in this thread GU should no longer be called the BERC equivalent, but his job title should be that of "Snake Charmer".
Given the deprecating acronyms so far, how about the Snake Objective Director, or SOD?
Good one!
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

scrxisi wrote:(which would permit London Bridge NR - LU or East croydon NR - Tramlink for example)
East Croydon NR - Tramlink is technically an outside walk :)

Wimbledon and Elmers End are both in the stations though, and would get you more stations - the Wimbledon branches of the District and tramlink.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think it would be better to do this challenge in larger groups of 3 or 4 rather than ones and twos. That will reduce the waiting around and make it more interesting.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

greatkingrat wrote:I think it would be better to do this challenge in larger groups of 3 or 4 rather than ones and twos. That will reduce the waiting around and make it more interesting.
The first snake had 4 teams which was quite exiting, last year with 2 teams wasn't really so good once the 2nd starters had caught the 1st team..

I think if we do it in at least pairs it will be ok......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

greatkingrat wrote:I think it would be better to do this challenge in larger groups of 3 or 4 rather than ones and twos. That will reduce the waiting around and make it more interesting.
Agreed, the two team system worked well last time.

Although I'm sure a three team system set off at 20 minute intervals would be about the same.

If teams are actually going to catch each other, there can't be too long a gap between their set off times.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:
Going Underground wrote:
The first snake had 4 teams which was quite exiting, last year with 2 teams wasn't really so good once the 2nd starters had caught the 1st team..

I think if we do it in at least pairs it will be ok......
Depends on numbers. I think in reality you probably want 3-4 teams max doing it, as otherwise the gaps will be too large. Spin the luck round the other way last year, and by Ealing Common we'd have been 40 minutes apart. The teams could well drift apart rather than bunch up, and you could be looking at a huge spread by the end if you're not careful...

Besides, Sam & I will probably meet you in Hatton Cross after, and we don't want to be waiting all night! :)
Allowing for the optimum start times and applying last years ruling of a 20 minute wait being allowed then 4 teams will get away in an hour... You will only be waiting at the pub for as long as it takes the first team to get there we cant all play B.B. at the same time anyway :P

So the SOD proposes 4 teams maximum, which I think would be an ideal number... :)
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

scrxisi wrote:
Depends on numbers. I think in reality you probably want 3-4 teams max doing it, as otherwise the gaps will be too large. Spin the luck round the other way last year, and by Ealing Common we'd have been 40 minutes apart (You have to start teams 20 min apart due to the service frequency on the loop, so with 4 teams, team 4 would be starting an hour behind...). The teams could well drift apart rather than bunch up, and you could be looking at a huge spread by the end if you're not careful...
I'd say 3 teams max, that gives a 1 hour spread...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

No, three teams would give a forty-minute spread, and four teams would give an hour spread.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Just to start everybody off, I managed to come up with a 256 station all-mode snake from Wandsworth Town to West Ealing. I'm sure there is a better route.

I don't know how practical this idea is. Frequencies are quite bad on some of the lines I have listed - some of them are as low as one train per hour. Additionally, all trains may not stop at all destinations, further reducing the frequency. Due to the infrequency of these services, and the larger distances travelled, would this be possible to complete in a single day?

When I get time I'll punch the route into the National Rail website to take a look.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Starkey7 wrote:No, three teams would give a forty-minute spread, and four teams would give an hour spread.
:oops: Ah yes!
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

scrxisi wrote:
mps247 wrote:Just to start everybody off, I managed to come up with a 256 station all-mode snake from Wandsworth Town to West Ealing. I'm sure there is a better route.

I don't know how practical this idea is. Frequencies are quite bad on some of the lines I have listed - some of them are as low as one train per hour. Additionally, all trains may not stop at all destinations, further reducing the frequency. Due to the infrequency of these services, and the larger distances travelled, would this be possible to complete in a single day?

When I get time I'll punch the route into the National Rail website to take a look.
I don't and never did anticipate it being possible in a day - without even looking at a map my mind has me following the only-few-times-daily Barnehurst-Slade Green link, for example. It's just an on-paper thing :)
Ah, I see! Well, I have some good news and some bad news:

Good news :)
I have found a few more stations - 262 stations, starting at Pimlico and finishing at Southall.
For anybody who is mad enough to try it, it can be done in one day.

Bad news :(
The total journey time is 16:10 - for anybody who is mad enough to try it, forget about pursuit!

Anybody with more than 262 stations?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

mps247 wrote: Bad news :(
The total journey time is 16:10 - for anybody who is mad enough to try it, forget about pursuit!
Still less time than a GWR, never say never :P
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Why finish at Southall? Surely you can add on at least one more station by continuing to Hanwell or West Drayton.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver