Redesign the tube

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Redesign the tube

Post by greatkingrat »

Soup Dragon wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:Sorry to bump a six month old thread
I would reather people bumped old threads than started new ones - it saves space and revives old stuff that can be quite interesting.
Neil makes a spelling mistake :shock:
I'll have to make a note to bump Neil's spelling mistake in six months time :D
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

But James, still no Woolwich Arsenal?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Neil did not make a spelling mistake - his index finger hit the R and E keys simultaneously, thus producing RE, a typo he didn't spot when posting.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tubeguru wrote:Neil did not make a spelling mistake - his index finger hit the R and E keys simultaneously, thus producing RE, a typo he didn't spot when posting.
I stand correected, it's an easy mistake to make :lol:
One day I shall return!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

It is, I hate typing errors, they really annoy me :x
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Soup Dragon wrote:
tubeguru wrote:Neil did not make a spelling mistake - his index finger hit the R and E keys simultaneously, thus producing RE, a typo he didn't spot when posting.
Although if you're being picky about things then it could be argued that the end result was still basically a spelling mistake, regardless of its origin.

Anyway, that's enough of me talking shite - I've only skimmed this thread, but this bit:
Park Royal and Hanger Lane stations merged into one. TfL to fund this by renaming the new station "Park Lane" and making money off stupid tourists.
did make me chuckle.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

TheFatBuoy wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:
Although if you're being picky about things then it could be argued that the end result was still basically a spelling mistake, regardless of its origin.
The result was a word that appeared to be spelled incorrectly. A "spelling mistake" is when I think that "rather" is spelt "reather" and deliberately include the extraneous "e".

I wonder if we can keep this childish argument going until May the 29th ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Here's an interesting way of re-designing the Tube map: by basing it on the time needed to travel segments rather than the current system of simplicity and ease on the eye.

The idea came about by a design student at the London College of Communication, who had to re-invent a design classic for a piece of work. Needless to say that due to a radically different objective, the result is also radically different, though this is helped by his "arty" side wanting to change the colours of the tube network, to be more "relevant". How basing them on the electromagnetic spectrum is more relevant is beyond me, simply as I'd have thought most people would have no idea what colour is at each end of the spectrum before they looked at this map. (Changing the colours is sacrilege in my eyes.)

However if we leave him alone on that issue, the result is highly interesting for anyone, with possible special interest for us lot.
http://www.oskarlin.com/images/timetravel.pdf
The map is centered at the school he attended which is close to Elephant and Castle, with that being zone 0, with all the following zones spiraling out from it in 5 minute intervals, however the map also has a scale, for you to measure those minutes in between the zones. (Although this is fairly logical anyhow.)

He has also produced one without the zones which can be found here, but this is far harder to use. http://www.oskarlin.com/images/timetravel_no_zones.pdf

The guy had many comments on his blog after it had been published in a design magazine. Unsurprisingly many suggested that he should revert to the original colours, so he has! This is better. http://www.oskarlin.com/images/timetrav ... olours.pdf

Unfortunately he hasn't made a traditional map with zones, but perhaps the damage has already been done. He hasn't really achieved his objective of "combining geographically accuracy with simplicity and time", but the idea is a very clever one. How effective it is to translate this idea to paper is also questionable but it has sort of worked, for what he wanted to achieve. There's no way that this could replace the current map as there would need to be a separate one for each station and the easiness of measuring time between zones would also have to be simplified.

So what's your view?
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Unsurprisingly, this (a map based on contours of travel time) is not a new idea. It can work quite well in a context like mapping south-eastern England in terms of travel time from central London, which gives some idea of where it is feasible to commute from. There was a map like this, if I remember correctly, around in the seventies. Maps of London based on isochrones (contours of travel time, usually to some arbitrarily chosen central point, and including the walk to the station or bus stop and perhaps the average waiting time too) are also interesting to look at, see

http://www.mysociety.org/2006/travel-time-maps/#london

They typically point out favourable locations close to stations, especially those with fast and regular services, and blackspots away from them. Possibly useful for house hunting. Nonetheless, most of the information is probably in accordance with common sense.

As pointed out by the original post, the big weakness is that the map is based on a single 'special' point. Also, it isn't always massively helpful for route planning (though a useful line with regular stops will show up as a something like a string of pearls).

However, I do think explicit journey time information can be useful (I tried to copy information from journey time posters onto a tube map for the Cannon Street R15), for instance in managing connections onto low frequency services.

Certain tube challengers have maps of the optimal route for Z1 from every starting station. I can imagine that station specific journey time maps might be feasible (not that you'd need to carry all 270) and useful for a challenge.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Scrxizxisii, they're all fantastic ideas; thanks for your interesting input.

Also, Jbom, is there a page that allows you to put in any starting location for that fabulous isochrome map?
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Also, Jbom, is there a page that allows you to put in any starting location for that fabulous isochrome map?
The owners of that site were charging for location-specific isochrone maps. :(
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Requires a bit of quadrupling and tunnelling to fully separate from Chatham Main Line but a tax on Andi James' tube challenges raises required funds inside a fortnight. I think one of Geoff,s challenges get you more money or Hopefully Travellers All Lines attempts!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The platform kiosk man at Embankment can pay for it from all the leftover change HT leaves there!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Don't worry, charge the taxpayers.

1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

I now this is MENTALLY old, but I am currently having a go! Some things:

[*] Northern split
[*] No zones
[*] No trams
[*] Leicester Square/Covent Garden and Park Royal/Hangar Lane joined

This is NOT complete!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR