Changing at Amersham

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Changing at Amersham

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Yes, I can hear you all now - "you're mad", "history has proven the Amersham start to be the only realistic way of doing it", but without going into the finer points of it now, I've got a small hunch that it *might* just possibly make sense to go out to Amersham and then come back into Marylebone on the Chiltern train.

One reason for this is that, according to the ever-reliable TFL journey planner, tubes arriving from Chesham (via C+L) arrive at Amersham at 25 and 55 past the hour, and trains to Marylebone depart at 26 and 56 past the hour.

A couple of questions:

1. What's more likely - tubes arriving late from C+L and trains running bang on time on the Chiltern service (disaster), or the opposite?

and

2. What's the change like from the tube to a London-bound Chiltern Express (or whatever they're called)? Is it a quick cross-platform affair, or does it involve a mad dash through the tunnels underneath the platforms?
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: Changing at Amersham

Post by Soup Dragon »

Where are you getting those Amersham - Marylebone times from? I can't find anything in journey planner that matches this? If it is possible then the one minute connection could be tight and a huge gamble. You would need to be towards the back of the tube around carriage 4 or 5, and then it's a dash up and over a bridge to get the Chiltern service to Marylebone.
One day I shall return!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Soup Dragon wrote:Where are you getting those Amersham - Marylebone times from? I can't find anything in journey planner that matches this? If it is possible then the one minute connection could be tight and a huge gamble. You would need to be towards the back of the tube around carriage 4 or 5, and then it's a dash up and over a bridge to get the Chiltern service to Marylebone.
I based it on general mid-morning times, and using 1st April as the date (using a more current date seemed to create some problems elsewhere in terms of work going on, so as it's just a rough guide anyway, that's the date I picked for working-out purposes).
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

The chances of mid-morning trains arriving on time at Amersham going into London are very high.
The chances of Metropolitan trains arriving on time at Amersham from London are only moderately high.
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Starkey7 wrote:The chances of mid-morning trains arriving on time at Amersham going into London are very high.
The chances of Metropolitan trains arriving on time at Amersham from London are only moderately high.
The chances of a Met signaller putting one of theirs out ahead of a Chiltern, which will then run on yellows all the way to Ricky, are extremely high.
The chances of said Met signaller then telling the Network Rail Delay Attribution Team that the Chiltern service in question was running under clear signals is even higher.

Of course, the fun bit will come when the Met is resignalled if it turns out that their ATP system (which, IIRC, is proposed to be the latest version of SELCAB) isn't backwardly compatible with Chiltern's.

I can see it now...First train from Aylesbury in the morning gets to Mantles Wood, hits the first Met ATP loop, and promptly sits down and sulks because it can't understand the signal. :twisted:

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Its a huge Gamble with 30 min frequency At Amersham I have looked at it but ruled it out as to risky for a GWR
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Fifteen or twenty minutes, surely? There's a Chiltern and a Metropolitan every half an hour, and both go to London fairly fast.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Actually, for most of the day there are four Metropolitan trains and two Chiltern trains leaving Amersham and heading into London - so a mean frequency of ten minutes.

Unless it's changed a lot since I left, that is.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

TheFatBuoy wrote:Yes, I can hear you all now - "you're mad", "history has proven the Amersham start to be the only realistic way of doing it"
Watch January 12th attempt that is not starting at Amersham.But wont tell u where.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

So far as I can see, "Changing at Amersham" means neither starting nor finishing in the top left corner - are the only remaining realistic start or end points for a GWR then Heathrow T4 or T5, Epping, or Upminster (probably the ideal finish if you just want to get round)?
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

It could mean a start/finish at Chesham, Jbom1.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

jamesthegill wrote:It could mean a start/finish at Chesham, Jbom1.
In principle, yes, but then I wouldn't be taking the fast train to Marylebone :?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Hasn't history shown that a Chesham start is asking for trouble too?

Or have timetables changed since "my day"?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
TheFatBuoy wrote:Yes, I can hear you all now - "you're mad", "history has proven the Amersham start to be the only realistic way of doing it"
Watch January 12th attempt that is not starting at Amersham.But wont tell u where.
Morden? Possibly involving a Wimbledon to Vauxhall SWT train later on in the day?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Never rely on a Chiltern train!! Not sure what that part of the line has been like but Gerrards Cross to London has been up shits creek for about the past month in the mornings, not great :cry:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver