Redesign the tube

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Root
All Zones

Redesign the tube

Post by Root »

I just thought up a little game... here's what you have to do.
  • Grab this map.
    Open it up in your favourite graphics editing program. Even MS Paint will do the job, although you will probably find it a lot easier with something like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or The Gimp, which is free to download.
  • Make any changes to the tube that you want. You can add or remove lines, stations or track, you can split or merge existing lines, you can re-route lines, you can change the zoning system, you can change the colours or the general look of the map - you can basically do whatever you want with it. The basic aim is to improve the network in a hypothetical situation: TfL have unlimited time and resources to do whatever you tell them to. You can either be realistic about it, or you can go crazy and make a non-stopping line from Upminster to Chesham. Don't worry about making it look nice - if you can, great, but if you can't, don't worry about it.
  • Save your final work in a web-friendly image format like PNG, GIF or JPG.
  • Upload it to the internet (you'll need your own webspace for this - if this is a problem, you can email me your image).
  • Make a post in this thread with a link to the image and a brief description of the changes you have made and why you have made them. Try and talk about why your changes would be good for the network, for its users, and for London itself. If anything needs further explanation, like changes to the service frequencies that would need to be made to accommodate your changes, mention those as well.
I've often drawn new lines on the tube map or re-routed existing lines for fun. Am I the only one?

Come on, it'll be fun.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Garion
All Zones

Re: Redesign the tube

Post by Garion »

I've been doing a project in graphics which is based on a proposed extension of the Bakerloo Line through Camberwell to Croydon and Lewisham. I've made a rough draft but not a proper copy. I'll do it next week though before college. :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Why don't you just buy the Johnston font? http://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/LTM/DVD/O ... in_CD.html... :wink:
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I know that Dr Who has re-designed the tube map.....

There was a "fast" northern line only stopping at the main terminus.... It was also extended to our town of Ashford (Middx) and also down to Soup Dragons dwelling place at Worthing and out to Lightwater in Surrey.....

There were some other alterations that I cant recall, possibly some connections and loops linking up the more awkward stations to get to.......... 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

If I find the time, I will definitely try this.

Edit: It's fairly common knowledge, so excuse me if I'm being patronising, but Trebuchet is a very similar font to Johnston, and you will probably have it already!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

I've been doing this using paint and it's been going pretty well.

My gf is round, she got so bored watching me, shes now doing it.
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

mullardo wrote:My gf is round
How rude!!! :lol:
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

But you're ruining the only semi-interesting thing about Pimlico :(
- Andrew
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Yes, and also further complicating the Northern Line, which is already complicated enough as it is!

But hey, you have complete creative freedom on this one, let's not be too serious about it :)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

That is good! :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

I'll post mine when it's done.

So far: The Northern line got a divorce. The DLR extension to Woolwich is finished. The main Terminus for Southern Railway and Gatwick express is now Sloane Square.

I have also removed the Piccadilliy line.
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

You REMOVED the Piccadilly line?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

CrunchySaviour wrote:You REMOVED the Piccadilly line?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well.
The Northern line got a divorce so one half needed a new name. I said to a friend which line should i remove and he said the piccadilly.

And it wasn't so much remove but reorganise it onto other lines.

Heathrow - Acton Town is now on the district.
Sudbury town - North Ealing is now central line. (Central line no longer goes to Ealing Broadway, just the district.)
Earls Court - Green Park and Finsbury park - Cockfosters are now Victoria.
Leicester square - Finsbury park is now on CX branch of the Northern (which is called and coloured as the piccadilly)

Only 2 actual lost stations.

I shall post it once the finishing touches are done
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

CrunchySaviour wrote:Here's mine so far!

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u168 ... kerMap.gif
It's very interesting how both yourself & scrxisi have redesigned the end of the Northern line to Morden, I think this is an improvement on the current map. How does the interchange between Park Royal & Hanger Lane work?
One day I shall return!