Tube Relief 2005 - The Charity Single

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Tube Relief 2005 - The Charity Single

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Another thing I mentioned in the other thread? Are there any challengers out there that are decent musicians that might be able to put this together? I've got an idea for a jolly bouncy cockney-esque melody (maybe inspired by Bill Bailey just a tad), and a bit of input on lyrics would be good, but the idea would be to mention every single station in the order of one person's route, record things in one take, and get the thing out there with huge publicity, and possibly make no. 1.

Seriously - anyone interested, or have I completely lost the plot?
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

This has been considered - and there are people out there within the community on these forums who can help. We considering some type of variation on 'Show me the way to Ammarillo(?)' by hit a load of issues.

It's one thing comming up with lyics, another trying to get a royalty free backing track and a whole different ball game trying to get the common man to buy/download a copy.

However, we the big day drawing up close, can I suggest that this be an idea for considering on the way round and then in the pub on Saturday night.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I'd considered recording a Status Quo cover, and changing the lyrics of Rockin' All Over the World to Travellin' All Over the Tube.

You'll be pleased to know that I didn't.

But I can play bass. I can also do various guitar chords. Though not necessarily at the same time...
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Royalty-free backing track? Pah - I'll knock up one of them no problem - I'll think up a cheeky bouncy Bill Bailey-cockneyesque-style tune. That's not a problem.

It's just the lyrics - shouldn't be too difficult - as long as we put across the sentiments of the day, but still keep it lively, and make sure we mention every station in order.

I can play piano/keyboards, and bass to a reasonable degree, guitar to a crap level (I can knock out 'Everybody Hurts' and anything with simple chords in!), and I do a mean spot of lap-drumming. I know a fair few musicians who might be up for helping out with the musician aspect of it.

Just need a few nutty folk to get together with around a piano and have a sing song. With some rough ideas for lyrics together, I can't see why we can't have the song written, done and dusted in an hour, all ready to take to the studio! Seriously - IMHO the best ideas are spontaneous ones, and I don't think it's worth milling over whether something "really works" or not - if it sounds good then go for it.

Anyone else? Any more ideas?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I never thought I'd see myself type this, but if you want guitar, I can do it.

(Never thought is because I don't usually do charity singles)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
juggler
Zone 2

And

Post by juggler »

I've sung in some world-famous venues so I think I'm capable of belting out a tune or two (I was in a very high-flying male voice choir until about 2 yrs ago). I even backed the Human League once 8)
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
Annie Mole
Zone 2

Post by Annie Mole »

Go for it guys - let's have a tube song - why not?

I think it's a fab idea and never knew we had so much musical talent hidden within our midst
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I can play one handed piano only - so i'm good for that twinkly middle eight melody high note part!

oh, and WHERE IS ANTHONY (the masked wonder) WHEN WE NEED HIM??

FB/Pete... what you need to know is that there is a 'regular' (although not for a while) on these forums who once did this .. made a song called "Underground Masker - Stand on the right please", and wrote lyrics over an exisiting song - it was very funny ... so you need to get Anthony in or he'll be gutted.

but i'm game .. i think you need a chorus of people to 'sing' the last bit altogether, just like Band Aid! :-) so that everyone can feel part of it by joining in.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Right, here we go. I hope Anthony will forgive me for this - I've uploaded his song in MP3 format here:

<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/stand_on_the ... nderground Masker (Stand on the right, please)</a>

We're making a playlist of "tube tunes" to play in the pub on Saturday night (see http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/tunes.htm for a complete list of 'train' songs!), and we'll have you humming this all the way home ...

Like a beast, released ... from Aldgate East!
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Well....

I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't play much (although I could be Geoff's other hand perhaps) and I haven't got much musical creativity.

So I should be perfect for a charity single. I'm in :)

Ric
juggler
Zone 2

You

Post by juggler »

Even though I won't be there (I'm in Wales from Saturday) you MUST play the Suggs solo track "Camden Town" with the chorus that goes "In Camden Town, I'll meet you by the underground..."

In fact it's on my MP3 player right now so you can have a listen tonight if you like :wink:
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997