Another poll on Z1C 2008

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.

On which, one or more, days WOULD YOU JOIN Z1C 2008?

Poll ended at 10 Mar 2008, 07:24

May 2nd
14%
May 9th
19%
May 16th
19%
May 23rd
21%
May 30th
26%

Total votes: 42

hwolge
Zone 6

Another poll on Z1C 2008

Post by hwolge »

As pointed out by Root in the other thread:
http://tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 16&start=0
a multiple choice poll is better to maximise number of participants. In this poll you are encouraged to check all possible dates, i.e. all dates you would in fact join the event!

The result here should be viewed as a complement to the previous poll, not a replacement. Also note that you may change your own votes afterwards!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Root
All Zones

Re: Another poll on Z1C 2008

Post by Root »

And thus he did return, and he spoke, and it was done.

I'm good for all of those dates.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Whatever date it is I will be there...... :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've always maintained the best way of doing this is to set a date about 4 for 5 months in advance and then leave it to everyone to arrange being there regardless of whether they can make it or not.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I'm fine with whatever, I just want it organised soon so that I can book the day off work.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

The 30th is at the end of half term (so school/college age people can attend)
Its also the Friday after a bank holiday, so I can take the entire week off for only 4 days holiday which I'd like to do.
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey (Mr Organiser) where are you....... :wink: We need a date so thse good people can book time off work and make travel arrangements....... :mrgreen:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
sven945
Zone 2

Post by sven945 »

It's my exam period from the 28th April to the 16th May, but my timetable isn't out so I can't really have a preference. If I can make it then I can make it, if I can't then I can't.

But I completely agree with what's been said about announcing a date plenty of time in advance and whoever can make it can make it, whoever can't can't.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Of course, depending on which date is chosen I may or may not be able to attend. I know my timetable up to October so I'll have some idea of what I'm roughly doing when I know the date.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

scrxisi wrote:I agree :) I'm in favour of establishing/maintaining a trend too - the original Z1 aside, it's always been the third Friday in May - so I think we should go with the 16th this year. And the 15th next year, and the 21st the year after. That way, we all know when it is and can make arrangements for the tenth annual Z1 challenge spectacular (May 15th 2013) now if we wish :)
As I stated on the other Z1C 2008 poll thread, I also find the repeatability from year to year important. I agree that the 16th would be the 3rd Friday of May - again. On the other hand the 23rd would be the penultimate (2nd to last) Friday of May - again. So I'd say either is fine from that perspective.

Having said that, I do think the say of our small community should be quite important...
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Tradition is great, but I think that the priority should still be to have it on whichever day will attract the most people. Even if we move it to the 30th, having it in May will still be a continuation of that tradition.

Can we move it to a different pub this year as well? Any other pub in Zone 1 has to be closer to a tube station than The Angel In The Fields!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Root wrote:Tradition is great, but I think that the priority should still be to have it on whichever day will attract the most people. Even if we move it to the 30th, having it in May will still be a continuation of that tradition.

Can we move it to a different pub this year as well? Any other pub in Zone 1 has to be closer to a tube station than The Angel In The Fields!
The pub is the biggest problem, 3 of us trawled around Central London last year trying to find a suitable venue, with a function room of a suitable size that was child friendly and would let us use it on a Friday afternoon/evening and didn't insist on a minimum spend of £500.00 :shock: :evil:

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.......
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Hello everyone! I'm not sure about this organisation lark to be honest, but I'd far rather the 30th of May. Reason being is that that's half term for those at school, and also university exams are more likely to be over then. So personally I think that that'd be better.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey7 wrote:Hello everyone! I'm not sure about this organisation lark to be honest, but I'd far rather the 30th of May. Reason being is that that's half term for those at school, and also university exams are more likely to be over then. So personally I think that that'd be better.
Hello John :mrgreen:

OK The Poll is saying the 30th, the school half term is the 30th , our (possible) organiser prefers the 30th........ So can we now say that this will be on the 30th :?: :|

I am in Central London tomorrow with Soup Dragon, Dr Who and a couple of other forum members so we may be able to spare a few minutes to pop along to The Angel in the Fields to see if they will let have the room from about 4 - 8pm :?:

Unless anyone knows of any other venue, I certainly don't intend spending hours walking around dozens of pubs again.......(without having time to stop for a beer anyway :wink: :( )
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Sounds very good! I now consider May 30:th as final.

Isn't 4-8pm at the pub a bit short? Two years ago I left the place around 11pm...

I and Patrick will now make our travel arrangements! As for lack of organisers, I can volunteer myself and Patrick to lend some legitimacy (by winning in -05) and planning/organising work. We could probably take care of most things, except the booking of a venue where we feel local presence is of essence... Just PM me, whoever takes charge, and we'll help you!

Looking forward to seeing you all on May 30th then.