On The Day

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
Senji
Zone 3

On The Day

Post by Senji »

So, what time in the morning are we meeting up at Amersham (obviously before 5:24am!), and what kind of ticket do we need to buy when we get there? (Is the Amersham ticket office even open at 5:24am?)

On the other end of the spectrum, where are we meeting at Upminster after we've finished -- inside the station, or what?
juggler
Zone 2

Post by juggler »

We will all need a Zone 1-D travelcard, which is £13.20 for adults (I still think it's a terrible shame that I can't use my annual Oyster that cost me £1000 :cry: )

I'm sure someone will come along in a minute with suggestions on timings etc...
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
barrykas
Zone 4

Re: On The Day

Post by barrykas »

Senji wrote:So, what time in the morning are we meeting up at Amersham (obviously before 5:24am!), and what kind of ticket do we need to buy when we get there? (Is the Amersham ticket office even open at 5:24am?)
According to the National Rail website, the Ticket Office at Amersham is open 06:15 to 22:00 on weekdays, so you'll need to buy your Travelcard in advance.

I believe the suggestion is to get to Amersham for 05:15, though I suspect most people will be there earlier.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

OK, so if we have to buy them in advance, will I be able to purchase one from the ticket office at Upminster the day before, or do I have to get it from Amersham?

(Seriously, I hope we will get to Amersham by 10pm, but lets be a little paranoid)
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Yes - you should be able to buy it at Upminster the day before.

Make sure that it is a peak zone 1-D travelcard though.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

OR..... use the wonderful thing known as a ticket machine at Amersham that morning - it will even let us all buy our tickets together! Isn't modern technology wonderful.

And lets all stay inside Upminster at the end. There's a very nice waiting room on platform 1 for c2c, which we can use.

If anyone needs anything to be at Upminster I will do my best (within reason - no elephant or gold bar requests please!)
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

James_#510 wrote:OR..... use the wonderful thing known as a ticket machine at Amersham that morning - it will even let us all buy our tickets together! Isn't modern technology wonderful.
Whilst there is a ticket machine at Amersham, I certainly wouldn't want to risk leaving it 'til the last possible minute to buy a ticket as, for example, if the National Rail site is indeed correct about the 06:15 opening time for the Ticket Office, the actual "lobby" area may be closed, with access through a side gate, like it is at many National Rail stations...

Just my 2p's worth...

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

I have never had any problem buying a ticket from the ticket machine at 0515 in the morning, and I will be doing that on the day.

It takes debit cards, in case you wondered. And possibly credit cards...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I was going to send an email round to you all shortly .. honest.

Amersham ticket office has always been open for me at 5 in the morning, but if there's a whole load of us, it might be better to get them beforehand!

You can buy a peak-day 1-6+A-D travelcard from ANY lu ticket office up to two weeks in advance of the date. I'll be getting mine the day before though.

Amersham: Pitch up between 5.00 and 5.15 please! I'll run through a few last minute things, take photos, hand out flyers, and we're off.

Upminster: Just loiter on the platforms 3 & 4 which is where all the trains arrive (apart from the odd one on Platform 5). But by then I'll be calling everyone to see where & how far away they are from finishing.

Remember, last train of the night (104) which gets to Upminster at 01.32 leaves the following places at the following times:

Richmond: 00.07
Earl's Court: 00.27
Embankment: 00.40
Aldgate East: 00.52