Publicity

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Publicity

Post by tpfkar »

Hi there, this isn't totally relevant, but I'm going to be a contestant on Brainteaser tomorrow (Channel 5, 1pm) and there is a decent chance that I'll be able to plug the tube relief event.

Feel free to watch me embarass myself on national televsion :)

Of course I won't mention the proposed date.

Ric
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Nice!

I'll see if I can record it, and maybe upload the video if you get the chance to plug it. Might be good to have a little multimedia section on the upcoming website..

I'd probably be able to host any video files on my site anyway. I'm only using about 15mb of my storage at the moment..
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Is anybody co-ordinating publicity and do we have a contact at TfL? I have a few radio and press contacts that I might try to get interested.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Publcity is being organised but I'd email Geoff and let him know about your contacts so he can include them in the press release.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Bollocks- I completely forgot!

How did it go?
Last edited by Nutteronabus on 01 Aug 2005, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Hi there.

I 'won' but screwed up in the prize round so I only got £100. SO not too gutted you missed it ;)

I didn't get to mention the tube thing either, there was hardly any time for conversation.

Enjoyed it tho.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Publicity is all under control boys & girls .. fear not. Uncle "Media Whore" Geoff has got it all sorted .. watch this space.
garda
Zone 2

Publicity

Post by garda »

The newspaper for new orleans interviewed me and will print the story on Monday for the run. I gave them all the info and hope that it generates some funds for us. Also, I have a Monday morning tv spot with the local tv news and later that morning another segment . I will let ya'll know how it turns out. I wish I could get a copy of it for you to see. I have to check. I have been at the hospital with my hubby who had some problems from septic shock and will not be on a day or so. He is fine now and out of the weather. I have been reading my map and trying to exercise with stairs! Last week lightning hit our house and blew the computer, telephones, air conditioner, and my precious "westminister chime" doorbell. So they say bad luck runs in threes.. I dont believe that for a minute! LOL. Take care.
Annie Mole
Zone 2

Publicity in Local Papers

Post by Annie Mole »

Well done Tami, that's excellent :)

Hopefully you've seen the new press releases and you are mentioned in them

All - It would be great to hear if anyone else has any success with getting publicity in their local papers too, specially now there's an indvidual press release you can all tailor for your local press/radio/papers/local website etc.

(PS Tami - hope your husband recovers quickly)
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Guess who's back!

*looks at the individual press release*

:lol: Why am I not surprised to see Geoff and Neil shamelessly plugging themselves and their record in the very first paragraph?!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Because it sets the scene - gives it context.

If it had been someone else, I'm sure Geoff would have mentioned them instead.

We can't help it if no one can beat us, can we? :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Welcome back Dustman...

Well, to be honest "World record holders invite...." sounds a lot better than "Two random blokes who like to travel the tube a lot" doesn't it?

Who better to 'invite' people to travel the tube with them than the people who are recognised at being the best at it!

If you think that sounds a bit pious, then .. well, yes .. it does a bit, but that's sort of the whole point. It gets people attention which is what we want.

Just 'cause you can't beat our time... :-D
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I've only tried once!!!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Well, my local paper's plugging us. Just met one of their photographers to have a picture taken for the article, which will be rolling off the press at 12pm tomorrow. My team mate was at work, though, so the picture's just of me.

At least I'm the better looking one... :D
garda
Zone 2

article from new orleans

Post by garda »

Here is my paper's article.. A few errors but minor.

More From The Times-Picayune | Subscribe To The Times-Picayune
N.O. police officer to go Underground in London
Local to participate in U.K. fund-raiser
Monday, August 08, 2005
By April Yee
Staff writer
When bombers targeted London for the second time in July, they gave New Orleans Police Capt. Tami Brisset one more reason to spend time in the city's battered subway system.

The commander of the NOPD Inspections Division had already committed to cover all 263 miles of the Underground during a ride-and-run event in late August to raise money for victims of the July 7 bombings. Brisset has been told by organizers she will be the only American and only law enforcement official in a group of 60 runners. The other runners are from England and Scotland.

"If you live in London, it's the Tube that is London," Brisset said. By participating in the fund-raiser, she said she is "telling them that New Orleans cares."

When an online friend, who is in the Guinness Book of Records for traveling the Tube system in the shortest time, asked her to join the patriotic fund-raiser, she was all in, committing hundreds of her own dollars to finance the flight and a week's room and board. She also wants to raise about $800, but as of Thursday, she had only a quarter of that.

Brisset leaves for England on Aug. 22 to prepare for the race, which will start at 5 a.m. and end at 1 p.m., featuring subway rides and runs between many of the system's connection points, on a date kept secret for security purposes. The group, which hopes to gather at least $20,000, will forward proceeds to the London Bombing Relief Fund launched by the city's mayor and the British Red Cross.

Brisset recently held up a laminated map of the labyrinthine system, with 12 lines and 275 stations. In a team with three or four others, she aims to cover every one, armed with new running shoes and a see-through backpack filled with raisins, granola and a first-aid kit. Though she wasn't working out, she now uses the stairs to get to her fifth-floor office, training for platform sprints and escalator dashes. For the event, every step and subway ride is choreographed, passing telephone and first-aid stations and even a local pub that will offer a bathroom break.

Other subway runners have already raised $500 each, Brisset said, which brings out the competitive streak that helped the 23-year police veteran rise from patrol officer in 1982 to sergeant in 1991, lieutenant in 1999 and assistant commander in 2001. She briefly commanded the 1st District and later the NOPD crime lab before moving to the Inspections Division. Since 2003, she has overseen drug testing of police officers and other internal scrutiny.

"I'd like to get the most money, since I'm coming from the farthest away," said Brisset, 47, who will represent the New Orleans Police Department. "Apprehensive, I am. Determined, more. Because I'm going to complete this run. I might have to be carried, but I'm going to finish it."

The cross-Atlantic flight is a familiar one for Brisset, who fell in love with London on her honeymoon 21 years ago and by her own count has returned nearly 90 times, she said, forging longtime friendships with Scotland Yard. Souvenirs -- a Buckingham Palace piggy bank, a plate painted with red-suited guards -- rest on her desk.

The Underground, a storied subway that opened in 1884 and is the site of 3 million passenger journeys each day, was always the center of Brisset's travels. The Anglophile, set to retire in five years, keeps in her right desk drawer the immigration forms she plans to complete to move to the United Kingdom, where she hopes to open a bed-and-breakfast. Or, she said, laughing, a pub -- perhaps with her favorite drinks, bitters and cider.

When she flies to London later this month, Brisset has one more task: She'll buy the latest Harry Potter novel for her 13-year-old son, who reads only the British editions. He also told her to forgo his upcoming birthday gift. Give the money to the victims, he said.

. . . . . . .

To contribute to the fund-raiser, called Not Afraid Tube Relief 2005, by check or credit card, call the New Orleans Police Fund, which will forward gifts to Brisset, at (504) 558-9944 by Aug. 19. Donors can give directly to Brisset at http://www.justgiving.com/tubecop.

April Yee can be reached at ayee@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3321.