Zone 1 Challenge 2007 - RESULTS

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Zone 1 Challenge 2007 - RESULTS

Post by tubeguru »

OK then, this is how they all finished. You'll have to excuse me not putting the actual names of the people in, as I only know some of them so I decided to leave them all out. Feel free to chip in and tell us who you were!

1 - I'd Rather Run Than Take The Circle Line - 2h 47m 30s
2 - The Monster Raving Bakerloony Party - 3h 01m 50s
3 - Beard On The Right - 3h 02m 30s
3 - 66 Feet Under - 3h 02m 30s
3 - This Team Name Probably Won't (see below) - 3h 02m 30s
6 - Ware FC - 3h 06m 11s
7 - Bar Artiste - 3h 06m 25s
8 - I Can't Believe It's Not Borough - 3h 08m 29s
8 - Sloane Bob Square Pants - 3h 08m 29s
8 - Jekyll And Hyde Park Corner - 3h 08m 29s
11 - The Angels Of Islington - 3h 08m 56s
12 - The Subways - 3h 15m 43s
13 - Team Jon Justice - 3h 20m 44s
14 - Epping Hell - 3h 20m 46s
15 - Queerer Elastics - 3h 21m 48s
16 - To Be Arranged - 3h 23m 27s
17 - The Covent Gardener - 3h 37m 30s
18 - Norfolk 'n' Good - 3h 45m 09s
19 - In Case Of Zombies - 4h 03m 26s

Note: the full name of the team finishing joint third was "This team name probably won't win the best team name, but if there's a prize for longest team name we're sure to win".

All teams finished at Vauxhall with the exception of the following:

The Monster Raving Bakerloony Party - Euston (CHX branch)
The Angels Of Islington - Russell Square
Team Jon Justice - Bond Street (thinking ahead there)
Queerer Elastics - Russell Square
To Be Arranged - Great Portland Street
The Covent Gardener - Blackfriars (Ric has an excuse for this strange route)

That's it! A clear winner thanks to some lightning changes. So much for Hakan's computer program :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

Well "This team name probably won't win the best team name, but if there's a prize for longest team name we're sure to win" was root and I, as you may remember :D
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The full list of team members were as follows (please correct if I have any wrong)

1 - I'd Rather Run Than Take The Circle Line - 2h 47m 30s
John Stark
2 - The Monster Raving Bakerloony Party - 3h 01m 50s
Peter Smyth
3 - Beard On The Right - 3h 02m 30s
Jonathan Amery
3 - 66 Feet Under - 3h 02m 30s
Hakan Wolge & Patrick Sillen
3 - This Team Name Probably Won't (see below) - 3h 02m 30s
Ollie Lewisohn & Sam Robinson
6 - Ware FC - 3h 06m 11s
Peter Miller
7 - Bar Artiste - 3h 06m 25s
Christopher Anton
8 - I Can't Believe It's Not Borough - 3h 08m 29s
Matt Westcott & Gervase Markham
8 - Sloane Bob Square Pants - 3h 08m 29s
Antony & Jamie Brown
8 - Jekyll And Hyde Park Corner - 3h 08m 29s
Kevin & Ryan Brown
11 - The Angels Of Islington - 3h 08m 56s
Martin Hazel & Josh Graves
12 - The Subways - 3h 15m 43s
Matt Nunn, Jack Bynoe & James Tong
13 - Team Jon Justice - 3h 20m 44s
Jon Justice
14 - Epping Hell - 3h 20m 46s
Alasdair Brown
15 - Queerer Elastics - 3h 21m 48s
Steven Karahan & Alice Westlake
16 - To Be Arranged - 3h 23m 27s
Matt Iggo, Matt Chapman, Richard Croxford & Andrew Baker
17 - The Covent Gardener - 3h 37m 30s
Ric Brackenbury, David Scard & Matt Scrivin
18 - Norfolk 'n' Good - 3h 45m 09s
Trevor Mitchell & Pete Wilkins
19 - In Case Of Zombies - 4h 03m 26s
Luke Dyson & Laurence Evans

I think I have photos of all the teams so will try and get these published on my site shortly
One day I shall return!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

hello all, well done all who competed! was good to some new faces and old friends too. good seeing some of u again. esp ollie and kevin. hope u all had a good evening in the pub playing games too. must say tho that the day didnt seem complete with the absence of Anthony! come back next year fella!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I've now posted times and pictures on my site (see link below)
I seem to have pictures of everyone on the day apart from Hakan and Patrick, and Alasdair Brown.
If anyone has a good picture of Hakan & Patrick, or Alasdair taken on the day please can you e-mail me a copy.

If you have any comments about your route or funny things that happened to you or your team please let me know and I'll add these to my page.

Many thanks Soup Dragon :wink:

http://pic5.piczo.com/tubedragon/?g=39517865&cr=5
One day I shall return!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Just a quick hello to everyone, and that one of my team-mates last year has just made me (almost literally) piss myself laughing with his team name (Team Jon Justice).

Hope everyone's well and all that. I urge you all to get on facebook if you're not already. And Neil - why didn't you bother with it this year? And (I guess to Neil again) - how long has the Z1 Challenge been a' happenin' for now? Are we far off the 10th anniversary yet? If so, I think all the original participants should make a special effort for that one.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

On behalf of 'The Subways', myself, jamesthegill and our friend Jack had a thoroughly enjoyable day and were fairly pleased by our time at the our first attempt at a Z1.

I know it's all about your actual luck but i'd like to think we really deserved a much better time after having a circle line train to aldgate slam its doors in our faces at liverpool street - forcing us to wait there for a further 10 minutes for the next train to anywhere. that added to the 3 or so minutes many have taken off their time from southwark and we would have had a bloody good time.

ah well, we're looking forward to proving ourselves next year! (and are in training for that masterstroke of a goodge street-russell square run!)
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Here are the days pictures and video's on my site enjoy. :D
http://pic6.piczo.com/brownstubenetwork/?g=40194945
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

Dr Who wrote:Here are the days pictures and video's on my site enjoy. :D
http://pic6.piczo.com/brownstubenetwork/?g=40194945
i love the ping pon picture
One has lost the game !!!!!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'd have done my hair if I knew you were filming ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Well a busy weekend for me, have just caught up on all the posts after getting back from the Conference play off final at the new Wembley and returning "The Hat" to Mr Tubeguru :wink:

I am glad that so many of you enjoyed the day, several familiar faces and lots of Newbies.........Hopefully many will come again next year and also some of the old faces may return, eh masked one and FatBuoy (nice to see have matured since I last saw you by the way :D )

Well done to David and Ric for organising the event and sorry I didn't get around to saying hello or even goodbye to everyone on the day :(

Also thanks to Neil for support on the day, drawing such a splendid starting station and carting all the bits 'n' pieces to the pub.. :D

Slightly disappointed to finish only joint 8th with what I thought was a pretty strong route, but hold ups outside Egware Road on the H & C waiting for a platform to become available and then over 15 mins at Bayswater...... There were other similar tales of woe from some of the other teams...... :(

Many congrats to Starkey who not only won is a splendid time but now also holds the fastest ever Z1 taking into account the fact that all stations were visited after departure Southwark and 3mins 41secs can be deducted from his overall time.... :D
John's route was also very strong and simplistic at the same time with very few changes....... :)

There are some decent pic's, videos and brief write up on Dr Who and Soup Dragons websites... :D

Looking forward to 2008 already and in the recent tradition we await the announcements from this years winner, being next years organiser :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Just looking at Starkey's new record time of 2h 43m 50s, I wondered what the optimum time for a Zone 1 might be. With a little bit more luck the route both myself and Going Underground used on Friday (without conferring) could have potential for 2h 38m.
Without given away any potential routes what does everyone else and especially HÃ¥kan's computer think is the fastest possible?
One day I shall return!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Going Underground wrote:Well a busy weekend for me, have just caught up on all the posts after getting back from the Conference play off final at the new Wembley and returning "The Hat" to Mr Tubeguru :wink:
I didn't realise you were going to the Conference play-off final GU!
Which end were you in? I was there in the Morecambe end, whilst Sam was in the Exeter end. Personally, I am so glad that Morecambe have joined us mighty Daggers in the Football League, if I had known that you were going, we could have arranged something.
Hope you enjoyed the day though!
Chris A
Zone 1

Post by Chris A »

Nice to meet you all on Friday and I was very pleased to be best newcomer although to be fair I had partially attempted this route from Westminster before. This time, however, I didn't make the mistake of getting off at Moorgate and did actually run although the howling gale up Whitechapel High St didn't aid matters between Aldgate East and Aldgate. Things might have gone better like the 5 min wait for a Circle line train at Aldgate which then waiting for 4 mins at the District line junction before Tower Hill. And the first train at Bayswater was a Circle when I wanted a District so that necessitated a 4 min wait for a following train at High Street Kensington. Also the Picadilly train which waited for 4 minutes at Hyde Park Corner before it did anything. It should have been possible I suppose to get under 3 hrs on this route - but 20 minutes quicker?! Well done to John for being so fast.
grobag
Zone 1

Post by grobag »

Hey, Alice here ;)

Only a quick message cuz about to go to bed.

Had fun on Friday - hope to do it again.

congratz everyone!

Xx