Random 15 Championship 2022/23: Round 6 (10th June 2023)

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Random 15 Championship 2022/23: Round 6 (10th June 2023)

Post by tangy »

Originally planned for the 3rd June but due to a National Rail strike on this day preventing some members from attending, the last round of the season has been pushed back a week to the 10th June.

I appreciate the inconvenience caused to those who would normally attend this together with Zone 1 Challenge Cup on the same weekend but this is out of my control and there is no indication that the strike will be called off.

This is the last round of the 2022/23 season thus your final chance to gain points for the leaderboard. There are prizes awarded for the podium positions so all still to play for.

When: Saturday 10th June 12:30 DST.
Pre challenge meet up: Leicester Square (are at bottom of exit 3).
Post challenge meet up: We will end the season at the Bricklayers Arms, Gresse Street as normal but we are looking for another venue to host us next season.
Variant: Normal round- 15 stations on the LU network in zones 1 and 2 only.
Time limit: Normal round- 4 hours.

Line closures affecting the challenge (correct at time of posting):
Circle/H&C: No service Edgware Road - Hammersmith.
Waterloo & City: Usual weekend planned closure.

Other engineering work to be aware of:
c2c: No trains to/from Fenchurch Street- diversions to/from Liverpool Street.
Overground- Watford DC: Reduced service Kilburn High Road - Euston.
Southern: No trains London Bridge - Streatham via Peckham Rye.
South Western: No trains Clapham Junction - Barnes.
Thameslink: No trains Blackfriars - Wimbledon/Sutton.

Who am I expecting?
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Re: Random 15 Championship 2022/23: Round 6 (10th June 2023)

Post by ANDY_JS »

Thanks for the information. Was just about to book a hotel and train tickets, so pleased I checked this just now. I'm intending to take part on 10th June. Andy
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Attending; GU
parkrun - Woolwich; GU
spoons - The Great Harry; GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Attending; GU, Lotg
parkrun - Woolwich; GU
spoons - The Great Harry; GU
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Current South London record holder - 2:04:11
1 pint in 18 seconds
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Attending; GU, Lotg, A2
parkrun - Thames Path, Woolwich; GU, A2
spoons - The Great Harry; GU, A2
- Andrew
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Attending; GU, Lotg, A2, DrainBrain
parkrun - Thames Path, Woolwich; GU, A2, DrainBrain
spoons - The Great Harry; GU, A2, DrainBrain

Last minute decision to attend. See you there.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
JamesWright
Zone 1

Post by JamesWright »

Hi, I’d like to take part too. I’ve never done a challenge before but I’ve read all about it on this forum and want to give it a go.

(I did email Tangy earlier in the week but don’t know if my email got through.)
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

JamesWright wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 06:34 Hi, I’d like to take part too. I’ve never done a challenge before but I’ve read all about it on this forum and want to give it a go.

(I did email Tangy earlier in the week but don’t know if my email got through.)
Welcome James! Just turn up at the starting point, it's not really a formal registration for these events just a way to get a rough idea of numbers. The list of stations usually gets handed out a couple of minutes before the 12.30 start, so I aim to get there around 12.15 (just in case there are any delays on the journey). It should be too hard to spot the challengers - we're the ones clutching phones, pens and tube maps wearing a variety of running gear.

Good luck!!
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

EastActionWoman wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 09:33 It should be too hard to spot the challengers...
I thought we made ourselves easy to spot!
1 pint in 18 seconds
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Typo... should have read "shouldn't be too hard to spot" 😃
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'd had mixed feelings about taking part today given the forecast high temperatures, though in the end today's challenge wasn't too uncomfortable and much was actually quite pleasant.

After heading up to Harrow in the morning to recce the North Harrow-West Harrow run for a possible future FNC event (I have 8 1/2 minutes to do that run, and it took me 8 1/2 minutes exactly....), I headed back down to Leicester Square, where Tangy advised that owing to an error in running the Generator, today's Challenge would actually be an R16!

On unsealing the paper, I noticed that as Finsbury Park, Hampstead and Kennington all appeared, a "top to bottom" or "bottom to top" approach would seem to work (although I modified that slightly as I went round). So up through HOLBORN to King's Cross, where Kev and I both changed on to the Victoria Line for the run up to FINSBURY PARK. Kev and I both disembarked there, and I didn't see him or anyone else again for the rest of the challenge.

Back down to Highbury and Islington, and over to the Overground platforms where I had a ten minute wait for the next westbound train. Hopped on, travelled to Hampstead Heath, then jogged round to Belsize Park for the ride up to HAMPSTEAD. Disembarked there and ran down the hill and along Arkwright Road to Finchley Road and Frognall, for another 10 minute+ wait for another westbound Overground. The pavements were quite hot by this time and I could feel the heat coming up through the soles of my trainers!

I considered disembarking at Kensal Rise for the run to Kensal Green, but elected instead to stay on to Willesden Junction, where the board advised of a 12 minute wait for the next southbound Bakerloo, although a couple of minutes later an empty stock train ran through non-stop. Five minutes later a southbound Overground arrived and I caught this through KENSAL GREEN to Queen's Park, where after a couple of minutes I boarded a Bakerloo line train fresh out of the depot.

Down to OXFORD CIRCUS and over to NOTTING HILL GATE, where I boarded a southbound Wimbleware, which between NHG and HSK changed destination to Ealing Broadway, saving a change at Earl's Court, so straight through to BARON'S COURT, where poor door position possibly cost me a train on the double back.Through GLOUCESTER ROAD and SLOANE SQUARE to Westminster, on the Jubilee to SOUTHWARK, then back to Waterloo and down the Northern to KENNINGTON before heading back up to Embankment. Through TEMPLE to ALDGATE. I had considered continuing to Liverpool Street, then heading out on the Central to Mile end and regaining the District/H&C there but noticed at Cannon Street that there were Upminster trains 1,4 and 7 minutes behind and fancied my chances of doing the Aldgate run in four minutes, so did that with a nice change for the run out to BOW ROAD and stopped the watch for a time of 3:46:38, but could have been much better had it not been for the long waits on the Overground and the Bakerloo.

However, in typing this up, I realised I have missed a station! I confused Cannon Street for CHARING CROSS (LU) and consequently only visited 15 of the 16 stations - so a non-completion, I'm afraid.

However, on a technicality, the list actually says "CHARING GROSS (LU)" and there is no station called "CHARING GROSS".....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

So I split up with my normal team mate needing a better result than A2, as we had separated earlier in the season when team Cook divided and Matthew and A2 went together as I was with Nozza and Izzy.

Anyway back to yesterday and I now realise my eyesight is so poor I can't actually read the stations on the tube map so circled in the vicinity!
This was how not to do a challenge and as I needed a quick getaway as meeting friend's in Staines I nearly aborted several times.
So because I struggled so much taking ages to get the stations on the map, spotted HOLBORN and FINSBURY PARK and headed up the picc line with Rich changing at King's x to the Viccie.
I then had HAMPSTEAD on my mind but decided to go and get BOW ROAD and ALDGATE done next.
Heading back to H & I assuming I needed the only overground platform I know and have used before which was wrong as that was the Stratford branch, found the correct platforms but let a train on platform one go hence a 7 minute wait.
Over to Whitechapel where a switch to East bound district and Andrew C found me.
Double back Bow Road where we got a district and Andrew changed at Mile End. I got off next stop as I wanted an H & C to Aldgate and when leaving Aldgate East iI realised it doesn't stop there!!
So Double back Liverpool Street fortunately on to Circle through Aldgate to TEMPLE. Chsnge at Embankment to double back CHARING CROSS down to KENNINGTON. Double bsck Waterloo to go to SOUTHWARK then another double back to Westminster for the nice uphill jaunt to district to knock out SLOANE SQUARE, GLOUCESTER ROAD and BARONS COURT.
Double bsck on picc to Earl's Court and then change to go to NOTTING HILL GATE, Central to OXFORD CIRCUS, Bakerloo via Queens Park for overground via KENSAL GREEN to Willesden Jct, another 7 min wait overground to Hampstead Heath, 46 bus to HAMPSTEAD finish at Belize Park.
Not my finest hour in sweltering heat at 3:42:19
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Capelblue
Zone 1

Post by Capelblue »

A very hot R15 this time, and a solo effort as both Ian and Michaela were otherwise engaged. I got to Leicester Square in good time and was possibly the first one there as I couldn't see anyone I knew for probably about 5 minutes until Tangy appeared. All the familiar faces came in quite quickly, although Andrew C cut it pretty fine !

Tangy then informed us of the twist, in that there were 16 stations, I took a couple of minutes to map the route and decided to head southbound on the Northern line to pick up Charing Cross and Kennington, and used the journey to plan a route with a Finsbury Park finish. At Kennington I changed onto the Bank branch, and headed up to London Bridge where I changed onto the Jubilee line aiming to go to Southwark but alas had the first bad change of the day. The matrix signs were not working, just gleefully announcing that this was the westbound Jubilee line (thanks for that !), as I was debating running to Southwark a train came in so I gratefully hopped on for the one stop to Southwark where I got off with the aim of going to Blackfriars.

It was absolutely scorching so I was delighted to see a bus hone into view as I was nearing a bus stop, and got on, however the traffic lights on the north side of the bridge were red so long, and green so briefly that we had to wait for two cycles, it would have been quicker to run ! Oh for it to have been a route master....

At Blackfriars I got a westbound Ealing Broadway service - perfect and went through Temple, Sloane Square and Gloucester Road before having a 5 minute wait at Earl's Court, where at least the destination didn't change, so headed on to Barons Court where I aimed to double back, the District line matrix was reading 12 minutes, but a Piccadilly line train was in the platform so I hopped on that (as we pulled out a District line train of course pulled in), and changed back to the District line at Earls Court to an Edgware Road train, changing at Notting Hill Gate to to Central line and picking up Oxford Circus and Holborn - at this point I'd done 11 of the 16 in under an hour and a half, the remaining 5 took longer than this !

At Oxford Circus, I had a speedy change to the Bakerloo line which was terminating at Queens Park, and spent the journey amending my route to finish at Bow Road, and so finding options to get from Hampstead to Finsbury Park, settling at that point on using Hampstead Heath and Camden Road. At Queens Park an overground train pulled in so I leapt on that and went through Kensal Green before changing at Willesden Junction where I bumped into Nick. There was a 7 minute wait which was frustrating but on hearing other tales not unusual. While I was on the train I researched some distances and found that Finchley Road and Frugal was closer to Hampstead than Hampstead Heath, and a station sooner, and so changed my position on the train leaving Nick and getting off there for the delightful slog up the hill. I had a 4 minute wait at Hampstead for the train down to Camden Town, and headed across to Camden Road for another 6 minute wait for the Overground train to Highbury & Islington where I had a decent change to the Victoria line to Finsbury Park. When I got there I could see a train through the cross tunnel so bolted across and got on it, realising just in time that it was a northbound Piccadilly line train, getting off and finding the southbound Vic platform where I got a train to KCStP. Here my luck was in, I was hot and tired and the first train was a Circle line train. I summoned some more energy en route to see if an Aldgate run would be beneficial, but it wasn't so I stayed on to Tower Hill and changed to the District line for the run up to Bow Road and a finish in 3:28:26, ironically in the same time and train as the new James, and neither of us realised !

A pretty good run, but with familiar tales of woe at Earls Court and on the overground.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Had a good day yesterday.

After travelling to London via Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Marylebone, I only just arrived in time at the starting station. Oops.

I set on southbound after initially spotting Southwark on the list, then noticing Charing Cross, and Kennington sealed it. Hopped on the train through CHARING CROSS.

Doubling back TEMPLE was a very last minute decision. I was wondering if linking up Southwark and Temple worked above ground but decided against on checking Google Maps. I saw Tangy leap out at Embankment and it was a good 10+ seconds later I decided to leap off the train too, thankfully I didn't lose a train because of it. Change at Embankment again and headed down to KENNINGTON, for another double back. Change at Waterloo and through SOUTHWARK to London Bridge, changed up to Bank and then over to Monument, where a circle line train was second on the list. Hopped on the first train to Tower Hill and then waited a short while for the second train round to ALDGATE. Run over to Aldgate East and hopped on the train to BOW ROAD, spotting Kev as I moved into the correct door position walking through the train. Double back to Mile End, and changed on a Central Line train to HOLBORN. Up to Kings Cross St. Pancras, changed onto the Victoria Line up to Finsbury Park.

Double back and change at Kings Cross again onto the Northern Line, and regretted not changing at Euston instead with a 4 minute wait for a High Barnet train, when I wanted Hampstead. Changed at Camden Town onto almost certainly the same train that was one minute behind it at Kings Cross. Double back at HAMPSTEAD, and then back down to Euston to change onto the Victoria Line again, through OXFORD CIRCUS to Victoria. Hopped on an Ealing Broadway district there, through GLOUCESTER ROAD to Earl's Court.

Screwed up spectacularly at Earls Court by missing the train I was already on. It didn't leave immediately, and I was caught in indecision as to whether to go down to the Picc. As I was pondering this, a Richmond train pulled in alongside, which I convinced myself was going to depart first. Alas, I missed the beeping doors closing of the Ealing Broadway train I was previously on, and watched the train go. The Richmond train ended up sitting there for several more minutes, as an Olympia train came and went. Another Ealing Broadway train came in after that, and again I had no idea which would go first, but this time I did notice the Richmond train's doors closing and leapt through, just making it.

Doubled back BARONS COURT. Forgot to get the door position there and ended up running half the platform, but there were no trains to miss anyway. First in was a District which I got on, but only when the train driver announced it was being held did I notice a Picc was in alongside, and managed to make it over for it to depart first.

Back at the awful Earls, I went back up to the District platforms, and no sign of an Edgware Road train. I checked to see when a circle would depart Gloucester Road, and 4 minutes was too soon. so I just waited. About 8 minutes total I reckon. Google Maps seemed to know about the train before the station indicators did and seemed pretty accurate. Through NOTTING HILL GATE to Paddington. 2 minutes wait for a Queens Park train, and then 5 more minutes wait for an Overground to take me to the finish at KENSAL GREEN.

Considering the errors and delays of Earl's Court I was surprised to come 2nd on the day, and also slightly surprised to be announced the winner of the year's championship. I hadn't done any number crunching so hadn't really realised the strength of my position despite being behind A2 on the leaderboard to start the day.

I understand the reasons for dropping the weakest round, to make it fairer for anyone that can't make it all 6 rounds. However I couldn't help but notice that A2 would have won without that rule in play. Well done to A2 for a very good season.

It was a real sadness that folk such as James Ramsbottom and Jenny Sherman couldn't make every round as they performed very well when they did attend, and would certainly have been challenging for the top positions.

Here's to next season. I need to get thinking about a twist. Thank you very much Tangy for organising, to everybody for being so friendly. It's wonderful to be part of this crazy group of people that enjoy such a silly pursuit.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Really wonderful day last Saturday, if a little warm. A set of stations which producted many interesting and varied routes.

Starting at LEICESTER SQUARE, I quickly scanned down the station list and noticed Charing Cross, so headed for Northern Line, just making a train in the platform. Frantically still planning my route as I passed through CHARING CROSS. Original plan was to stay on the train until Kennington, but at the last moment I decided to head east from Embankment. Just missed a District line train but another was along a minute or so later. Not that it mattered, as I needed the Circle line train behind that one to knock out Aldgate.

So through TEMPLE to Tower Hill, where I made the change. I half-expected some other challengers to catch me up here but nobody appeared. One stop to ALDGATE then the only OSI I had planned to Aldgate East, where I just made the train which had been behind the Circle line one. Out to BOW ROAD and I then wanted to get to Southwark. I chose the long-but-fewer-changes route of staying on the train to West Ham then taking the Jubilee back west. Therough SOUTHWARK to Waterloo, where I then headed for Kennington. I'd expected to have to double back here, but my train turned out to be a Battersea train, so passed through KENNINGTON, got out at Nine Elms (passing through the barriers for the first time here) and ran to Vauxhall. Straight onto a train here, and another excellent change at Victoria, heading west through SLOANE SQUARE and GLOUCESTER ROAD.

The train I was on was bound for Wimbledon, but coming into Earl's Court it was announced that it would now be going to Ealing Broadway. Rather convinient! The displays in the train changed and another announcement told everybody that it was now going to Ealing Broadway. Left after a minute or two and I soon found myself pulling into West......... Brompton.

No time to think. Off the train and run to West Kensington then one stop to BARONS COURT. A returning District and Picc train pulled in at the same time. I chose the District as it would be a much easier change back at Earl's Court. Arriving back there, there was a Wimbleware on the adjacent platform, so left the station faster than if I'd stayed on the same train.

Original plan had been to do a long double back to Kensal Green next, but the more I looked at it the less appealing it became. I spotted that Hampstead and Kensal Green could be connected up fairly nicely with the Overground, which would also mean I got some new track on this challenge. So I changed at NOTTING HILL GATE, passed through OXFORD CIRCUS and changed again at HOLBORN to head north. Most people's routes involved changing to the Victoria at KXSP but I didn't bother. Up to FINSBURY PARK and turned around. A Victoria train would have been lovely but there was a Picc in the platform when I arrived and so jumped straight on that without checking what the Victoria had in store. Back at KXSP I changed to the Northern line and had a 4 minute wait, fortunately for an Edgware train.

All the way up to HAMPSTEAD then run down the hill to Finchley Road & Frognal, with a 4 minute wait for the next train west. Managing to get live train times on my phone, I saw that if I went to Willesden Junction I'd probably just miss a train, a train I could probably catch if I ran from Kensal Rise to Kensal Green. So fifth and final run of the day to my final station, then, as expected, left KENSAL GREEN on a Bakerloo train to finish properly at Queens Park.

Leicester Square :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: (run) Aldgate East :arrow: West Ham :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Nine Elms :arrow: (run) Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: West Brompton (argh!) :arrow: (run) West Kensington :arrow: Barons Court :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: KXSP :arrow: Hampstead :arrow: (run) Finchley Road & Frognal :arrow: Kensal Rise :arrow: (run) Kensal Green :arrow: Queen's Park

Then took the Watford Local Line back to Euston to get some more new track.
1 pint in 18 seconds