Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 19:59 Suggestion - can the two different station quizzes use different nomenclature systems, instead of sharing the phonetic alphabet as they do now?
Yes, makes sense. I'll continue with the phonetic alphabet (which I began); if trains500 could pick a different system, that'd be great.

Hopefully I'll get Station November up and running in the next day or two.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station November

Post by RobbieM »

It’s the first nice-looking station of 2023 folks! I guess you’re all raring to go. My chosen location for Station November hopefully won’t give you too many problems.

• Name Station November.

There is an historical figure from the locality this station serves, who has a connection with an historical figure from a town less than twelve miles from my home (I live in Guildford, as I’m sure you’re aware). A certain pub chain felt it was important to commemorate both these folk. So for the bonus:

• What is the connection between the two historical figures I’ve mentioned?

PMs to yours truly, please! :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Done, and done :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station November

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 20:06 Done, and done :)
And very well done done they were two. (Er, sorry, ‘too’)
RobbieM
All Zones

Station November - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

Go back to the post where I first set Station November. Read it backwards, letter by letter, and see if anything jumps out at you.

(If you’ve got the time to spare… 😐)
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

any chance of a hint for the bonus pls?
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 12:53 any chance of a hint for the bonus pls?
Tim Martin's pubs.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station November - closing soon

Post by RobbieM »

Well, it's all a bit quiet on the Nice-looking Station front. I'll give this one a few more days. Last chance for answers!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Station November - closing soon

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 20:48 Well, it's all a bit quiet on the Nice-looking Station front. I'll give this one a few more days. Last chance for answers!
You're leaving them a long time these days :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 18:14
RobbieM wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 20:48 Well, it's all a bit quiet on the Nice-looking Station front. I'll give this one a few more days. Last chance for answers!
You're leaving them a long time these days :)
Yes, these rail delays get worse and worse as time goes on... :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

It was worth the prompt - I've had another submission.

Answer coming very soon!
RobbieM
All Zones

Station November - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Righto, time’s up on Station November. Let’s begin by looking at the hint – the post where I first set the station needs to be read backwards, letter by letter. And when you get to the phrase “My chosen location for Station November…”, you’ll see the station hidden in plain backwards sight! Yes, Station November is Colne.

And the bonus? Well, a famous figure from Colne is Wallace Hartley – after whom the local 'Spoons pub is named. And a few miles from Guildford is Godalming, where the 'Spoons is named after a local called Jack Phillips. So what is the connection between these two fine gentlemen? Well, they both had significant roles on the Titanic during its final few hours.

Wallace Hartley was the band leader, who continued leading his band whilst the ship met its fate. And Jack Phillips was the chief radio operator who put out the SOS calls, enabling many to be rescued on that night.

Well done to Trains500, Tubeguru and Michael Churchill for correct submissions. Wonderful gents, you all are.

We’ll be taking a trip to the Oscars before the night's out, folks! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Oscar

Post by RobbieM »

Sometimes a nice-looking station really is a nice-looking station. If this one were to be used in a film set, I’m sure it might win a Station Oscar.

• Name Station Oscar.
• Bonus: Oscar has something in common with another 48-or-so stations on the national network. Another of these is Station C (which I set back in February 2021). What is this common thing?

Sometimes it’s hard to set a bonus which doesn’t turn out to be a hint in itself, but maybe I’ve managed it this time….

PMs please! 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Oscar

Post by RobbieM »

Well, it’s been a bit slow on this one. Only one correct answer so far. But I’m sure one or two others must know where Station Oscar can be found. So I will give it another week or so before going down the hint line.

It’s come to light that 48-or-so in the bonus might actually be 47-or-so, as my correct guessee identified a station that was outside of the category which I thought it was in, but it wasn’t actually. But probably 48-or-so is near enough to 47-or-so to be accurate enough. Whether you think it is or not, I guess you’ve given up trying to comprehend this paragraph… :roll:
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Station Oscar

Post by trains 500 »

RobbieM wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 15:15 my correct guessee identified a station that was outside of the category which I thought it was in, but it wasn’t actually. But probably 48-or-so is near enough to 47-or-so to be accurate enough. Whether you think it is or not, I guess you’ve given up trying to comprehend this paragraph… :roll:
My head hurts :lol:
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds