Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Nice-looking stations!

Post by RobbieM »

Fab - looking forward to another challenge!

Re. Station India - this is fun. Two correct submissions for the station so far. As for the bonus...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by tubeguru »

I'm not going to continually guess all the possible things it could be until I get a hint ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station India

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 18:04 I'm not going to continually guess all the possible things it could be until I get a hint ...
Okay - private hint now delivered! :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I could have waited for the public hint, you know :)

Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Station Juliet

Post by trains 500 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8UHPzqPdM (I don't think I have used this image before, I've lost track, if I have I will upload a different one) :lol:
Last edited by trains 500 on 03 Aug 2022, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Juliet

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 10:14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8UHPzqPdM (I don't think I have used this image before, I've lost track, if I have I will upload a different one) :lol:
Thanks - no I don't think I've seen this image before. You really had me stumped for some time, then as always, it was the last place I looked... answer submitted. :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station India - hint

Post by RobbieM »

I'm soon disappearing off on holiday, and will be "off-forum" for a few weeks, so I would like to get India answered before I go. To that end, here's the hint:

I recently said that if you want to travel from Station Golf to Station Hotel, you're best not bothering using the train. However, if you DO opt for the train, you will pass through India. (Station India, not the country... :roll: )

Not too difficult now, hopefully! And don't forget the bonus. Answer probably coming Tuesday, or Wednesday. :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station India - hint

Post by RobbieM »

...and the first correct bonus answer has now been received too!
RobbieM
All Zones

Station India - last chance...

Post by RobbieM »

...I plan to answer Station India on Wednesday, before I disappear for a few weeks. Last chance for submissions!
RobbieM
All Zones

Station India - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Okay – let’s put you out of your misery by starting with an admission. I’d originally intended to have Blackpool Tower as the bonus answer for the third time running. This was meant to be the big hint for the savvy ones to quickly work out Station India, which is, Lytham. I guess some of you got it out this way! Well done to EastActionWoman, tubeguru and trains500 for the correct station identification.

And the bonus, it was obvious, wasn’t it? Well...

...shortly before publication, I thought I’d better check my info. That’s when I discovered something else besides Blackpool Tower that also fit the bonus question, which would have originally read “about 6½ miles” from Station India. So I’d have to be more specific on my distances! But then I thought, ‘Why not change the bonus as a trick?’ So I did! 😊

Blackpool Tower is 6.47 miles from Lytham Station. So instead of “about 6½ miles”, I asked for “6.4 miles (or slightly less)”. And depending on where you measure it from, the actual answer ranges from about 6.25 to 6.4 miles…

…head over the Ribble estuary, and your locus should land on Southport Pier! A very noteworthy Victorian structure, one of the oldest iron piers in the world, and the second longest in the UK. Well done to trains500 for spotting it.

Right, I’m off on my hols, and this time I won’t leave you Station Kilo. I’ll give you a break, and see y’all in September. Byeeee!!! 😊 😊 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Kilo - to 'weigh up'!

Post by RobbieM »

Here you go then. Term has started. Have a look at Station Kilo. I think there are enough clues to make it less-than-difficult.

• Name Station Kilo.
• Bonus: Name a sweet that’s manufactured a short walk from the station.

PMs please! 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Kilo

Post by RobbieM »

It's been a bit of a busy month in the world of ... the world, and Station Kilo has probably been too heavy a load to carry during that time. I've had one correct submission (for both station and bonus), but I thought I'd re-launch it in case anyone else wants to have a shot.

I'll be away and off-line from Thursday for about 10 days, so will aim to give hint on my return. In the meantime, a reminder:

• Name Station Kilo.
• Bonus: Name a sweet that’s manufactured a short walk from the station.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Well, that looks like a 319 leaving the station (although it looks at first glance to be in BR blue/grey!).

The 319 plus absence of OHLE suggests it's somewhere on the 3rd Rail network.

The time on the clock, lack of leaves, and shadows suggest that the platforms are aligned roughly SE-NW.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I thought the idea was not to do your thinking "out loud" :)

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Kilo - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

Well, maybe it's a bit trickier than I thought. Interesting to see RJSRdg's thinking in the meantime. Well, finally, here's a hint to help you out:

If you were to take a direct journey from Station Golf to Station Foxtrot, your train would pass through this photograph (that is, if it happened to be passing at the time I pressed 'click' on the camera, the train would be visible, or... oh, you know what I mean... :) )

Let's see if that helps y'all! :D