British Coastline Walk 2023/24 (Help Needed!!!!)

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

British Coastline Walk 2023/24 (Help Needed!!!!)

Post by Soup Dragon »

For those of you who aren't facebook friends, I thought it would be a good idea to post here about a 6000 mile walk around the British Coastline.
I will be doing the walk with my wife Sally, and we plan to set off from Bude, Cornwall, on 15th May 2023. Walking clockwise, returning to Bude in May 2024. We will be raising money for a couple of charities along the way (details to be confirmed). We will use a motorhome for the majority of our accommodation needs but will require volunteer driver(s) each week to be our support crew. If you would like to join us for a week or two (or more) to help support and drive the motorhome, then don't be shy. In return you will get a free weeks accommodation and get to be part of our great adventure. The itinerary for the walk is still being planned, but as a rough guide should be as follows:

Week 1 (May) North Devon
Week 2 (May) Somerset
Week 3-9 (Jun-Jul) Wales
Week 10-13 (Jul-Aug) Lancashire & Cumbria
Week 13-25 (Aug-Oct) West Coast of Scotland
Week 26 (Nov) North Coast Scotland
Week 27-33 (Nov-Dec) East Coast Scotland
Week 34 (Jan) Northumberland, Tyne & Wear
Week 35-36 (Jan) Durham, Cleveland, N. Yorks & Humberside
Week 37 (Jan) Lincolnshire
Week 38 (Feb) Norfolk
Week 39 (Feb) Suffolk
Week 40-42 (Feb) Essex & London
Week 43-44 (Mar) Kent
Week 45-46 (Mar) East & West Sussex
Week 47 (Apr) Hampshire
Week 48 (Apr) Dorset
Week 49-50 (Apr) South Devon
Week 51-54 (May) Cornwall

Please message me if there are any weeks that you'd like to volunteer to drive the motorhome (anyone with a standard UK/EU car drivers licence will be able to drive). πŸ˜€
Driver changeover will be on Saturdays and where possible will be near a railway station and also near a parkrun (I aim to do parkruns whenever possible).

Cheers Antony
One day I shall return!
Ally
Zone 1

Re: British Coastline Walk 2023/24 (Help Needed!!!!)

Post by Ally »

North coast of Scotland in November? :shock:
Very brave, and the whole thing is super impressive - good luck!

Is there only spare room for one driver or can we come as a pair too?
1 attempt

PB: 252 stations
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Ally wrote: ↑21 Jul 2022, 23:10 North coast of Scotland in November? :shock:
Very brave, and the whole thing is super impressive - good luck!

Is there only spare room for one driver or can we come as a pair too?
We are hoping to purchase (or blag :lol: ) either a 4 or 5 berth motorhome, so that a pair could join us.
We hope to get one with a configuration of two built-in bunks, and a double bed over the cab.
Scotland will be tough in the winter, but it was either that of suffering midges for 4 months.
There are lots of sections in Scotland that are long road walks, so hopefully we can make up time even if the weather is bad.
If you can help out that would be great :D
One day I shall return!
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

a prestigious challenge and heck of logisitics needed i try and help where i can are we going to get daily reports im considering myself to take april 2023 to april 2024 off myself but to do all heritage train stations in a year i,m sure your run into me at some point parkrun or walking wise.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Golf wrote: ↑23 Jul 2022, 13:13 a prestigious challenge and heck of logisitics needed i try and help where i can are we going to get daily reports im considering myself to take april 2023 to april 2024 off myself but to do all heritage train stations in a year i,m sure your run into me at some point parkrun or walking wise.
Yes I will be doing regular updates, I will try and do a daily update but this might prove difficult. I'm not sure what the best platform is to use for the updates.
One day I shall return!
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

At the weekend I met a woman doing Land's End to John o'Groats. She's got her own website for doing updates: https://www.janesbigwalk.com/

Seem to be a few free blogging platforms available.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

EastActionWoman wrote: ↑27 Jul 2022, 12:48 At the weekend I met a woman doing Land's End to John o'Groats. She's got her own website for doing updates: https://www.janesbigwalk.com/

Seem to be a few free blogging platforms available.
Thanks fpor the link, that is a nice looking blog.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

So far I only have a firm commitment from one support driver for two weeks (10th-24th June), plus a couple of provisional offers.
I still have almost 9 months to plan this trip, but it would be nice if I could get a few more potential drivers pencilled in :D
Don't be shy to put yourself forward if you would like to help me and Sally by driving the Motorhome for a week or two (or more).

Cheers Antony
One day I shall return!
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

how long is margate to warmer and deal anthony i happily keep those free if you want? is it roughly 7 days>
tube olympic winner once
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Golf wrote: ↑27 Aug 2022, 22:08 how long is margate to warmer and deal anthony i happily keep those free if you want? is it roughly 7 days>
The whole of Kent is approx 300km so will take us approx 12-14 days.
The stretch from Margate to Walmer & Deal is only 35km, so that will only take us a couple of days.
It would be great if you can join us for one of the two weeks that we are in Kent.
I would estimate we'll be in Kent around 2nd-16th March 2024, I will let you know further details once I've planned that section fully.
One day I shall return!
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Are you averse to people who (allegedly) snore being part of your driving team?
- Andrew
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

A2 wrote: ↑28 Aug 2022, 18:05 Are you averse to people who (allegedly) snore being part of your driving team?
As part of the walking team is also prone to snoring (I will give you a clue; it isn't Sally), we could hardly object to a snoring driver.
As long as you don't snore whilst you're driving though..... that wouldn't be too clever.
We are happy to take anyone onboard who is prepared to put up with us for a week or two :lol:
One day I shall return!
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

Soup Dragon wrote: ↑28 Aug 2022, 11:50
Golf wrote: ↑27 Aug 2022, 22:08 how long is margate to warmer and deal anthony i happily keep those free if you want? is it roughly 7 days>
The stretch from Margate to Walmer & Deal is only 35km, so that will only take us a couple of days.
It would be great if you can join us for one of the two weeks that we are in Kent.
I would estimate we'll be in Kent around 2nd-16th March 2024, I will let you know further details once I've planned that section fully.
cyclopark roughly to warmer and deal?
tube olympic winner once
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Golf wrote: ↑30 Aug 2022, 20:55
Soup Dragon wrote: ↑28 Aug 2022, 11:50
cyclopark roughly to warmer and deal?
That should work, Cyclopark (Gravesend) to Warmer & Deal would be approx 190km, which should be around 7-8 days walking.
I can be flexible to a degree with the choice of parkrun each week. Most weeks I will just pick the nearest one to the start point of that days walk, or the best one for ease of driver handover. As long as it's a sensible drive of less than an hour. The section I'm currently working on is the west coast of Scotland with Fort William being the nearest parkrun. The drive to Fort William is well over 2 hours, so unless there are some new remote Scottish parkruns planned, I think there will be a couple of months when parkrun isn't physically possible.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The walk starts in 125 days and we're desperate to find volunteers to help drive our motorhome.
You'll need to give up one week (saturday to saturday) and be responsible for picking us up at the end of each day.
In return you'll get a free weeks holiday with us in the motorhome with breakfast & dinner thrown in.
You'll be able to use the motorhome during the day whilst we are off doing the walk.
If anyone can give up a week of their time to help us complete the challenge it would be much appreciated!!!!

I've now planned the first 32 weeks of the walk, which takes us up to Christmas 2023. The walk will pause and resume in Jan 2024.

If you'd like to help click the link to see what the itinerary is: COAST WALK WEEKLY PLAN
One day I shall return!