Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Post by tubeguru »

I didn't go for my final choices for qualifying until they'd all performed, and the voting was happening.

In the end I got them all right except for Albania, who lost out to SWITZERLAND?! That was a jury decision if ever I saw one. I'm happy Moldova made it, but sad for Albania and Latvia. Greece is my second-favourite song of the year, behind Serbia.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote: 11 May 2022, 00:34
hopeful traveller wrote: 09 May 2022, 19:53 Predictions for the semi finals:

SF1: Albania, Switzerland, Ukraine, The Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Iceland, Greece, Norway, Armenia.
So 7/10 for me, with ALB, DEN, and AUT wrong in place of LTU, POR (really?!), and MDA.
Portugal are top ten material this year, for sure! It's a good jury song, and the public may well take it to their hearts.

Moldova brought it on the night, and easily outshone terrible vocals from Austria (her voice was drowned out by the loud backing vocals, which were clearly mixed louder to hide her shortcomings as a live singer).
Albania - she was out of breath halfway through, and didn't deliver what she probably should have.
Denmark were just too cheesy for me. Fun fact - the drummer in Reddi is the same one that performed with Denmark in 2012.

But ... SWITZERLAND?! Such a boring song, and I think Albania and Austria failing contributed to him getting through.

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

8 out of 10 for me in the first semi final.
I had predicted Albania would make it, but the running order and a poor performance did for their chances.
I thought Bulgaria might just squeeze through as the staging was good, but the dated rock song was just not up to it.
The ones I missed out on where Switzerland & Lithuania,
Switzerland would have scored very high with the juries, it gives me similar vibes to Portugal's winning song in 2017 (but not in the same league).
Lithuania, she performed really well and the song was different from any other in this semi, so I can see why she qualified.

The second semi final is a hard one to call but here are my predictions:

1. Sweden
2. Serbia
3. Poland
4. Cyprus
5. Finland
6. San Marino
7. Australia
8. Estonia
9. Georgia
10. Ireland

11. Azerbaijan
12. Romania
13. Czech Rep
14. Belgium
15. Israel
16. Malta
17. Montenegro
18. North Macedonia
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote: 12 May 2022, 10:22The second semi final is a hard one to call but here are my predictions:

1. Sweden
2. Serbia
3. Poland
4. Cyprus
5. Finland
6. San Marino
7. Australia
8. Estonia
9. Georgia
10. Ireland
Again, I'm not making my final decisions on who's going through until I've seen them all tonight, but when I made some tentative decisions a couple of weeks ago, my qualifiers were:

Serbia (my favourite song this year)
Finland
Azerbaijan (not sure about this as it stands)
Australia
Cyprus (another unsure)
Estonia
Poland
Belgium (if only because I couldn't see anything else scraping through instead)
Sweden
Czech Republic (love this song)

I hate the San Marino song, but I'm starting to think that they might just do it. Ireland is a bold choice for you. I can't see it getting through, nor Georgia - although I do like the song. Watch this thread ...

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Azerbaijan have a phenomenal qualification record (11 out of 12), so chances are they will qualify but I do have my doubts about their entry this year.
Belgium have a patchy record and I'm not sure this years entry is strong enough to make it through.
Czech Republic is a good song but live is very different to the studio version, I think they might go the same way as Austria, suffering from poor vocals.

Yes I've stuck my neck on Georgia, Ireland and San Marino. Georgia is quite unique and unlike anything else, I'd like to see them in the final.
Ireland has improved a lot and the live performance is fairly solid, on balance it probably won't qualify but i'm taking a punt!
San Marino is also a big gamble, but I think his charisma and stage show will see this one get through.
I love Estonia but do fear that the staging of this song will let it down.
Although I have Australia in 7th I'd be happy to be wrong because personally I find this song very boring and they shouldn't be in the contest anyway!
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote: 12 May 2022, 12:25 Azerbaijan have a phenomenal qualification record (11 out of 12), so chances are they will qualify but I do have my doubts about their entry this year.
Belgium have a patchy record and I'm not sure this years entry is strong enough to make it through.
Czech Republic is a good song but live is very different to the studio version, I think they might go the same way as Austria, suffering from poor vocals.

Yes I've stuck my neck on Georgia, Ireland and San Marino. Georgia is quite unique and unlike anything else, I'd like to see them in the final.
Ireland has improved a lot and the live performance is fairly solid, on balance it probably won't qualify but i'm taking a punt!
San Marino is also a big gamble, but I think his charisma and stage show will see this one get through.
I love Estonia but do fear that the staging of this song will let it down.
Although I have Australia in 7th I'd be happy to be wrong because personally I find this song very boring and they shouldn't be in the contest anyway!
Czech Republic's vocals - having seen the rehearsal clip, and having seen another live performance of it, she is a VERY good singer, and will easily beat Austria and Albania on that score.

The problem with Georgia is that, despite having a quirky song, their staging is very bland. They could have had all the weird circus stuff that you see in their music video, but instead it's just four men playing instruments, and standing still at microphones. Disappointing for me.

I really have no idea who's going to get through after Finland, Sweden, Serbia, Australia, and Poland - the five dead certs in my mind.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, so having just watched the second semi-final, these were the ten qualifiers I went for, based on everything I know about them, and their performances:

Finland - dead cert despite his vocals being a bit off in places
Serbia - they made us sweat on THAT. I was so worried that San Marino would be announced last, but I am now happy
Azerbaijan - this was one of six songs I was still undecided on during the voting break. I decided it would be OK, and was right
Australia - a dead cert with the strongest vocal performance of the night, and theatrics aplenty
San Marino - another one I ummed and aahed over. I went for this over Belgium, because I didn't think Belgium were all that impressive
Estonia - another fave of mine, and another one of the six that I had to mull over
Romania -I had this not qualifying all day right up until tonight. Then I went for a last-minute punt, and won
Poland - dead cert
Sweden - an even bigger dead cert
Czech Republic - I LOVE this song, and the singer's charisma and performance. Going last, and with that light show, they were always going through

Of the rest:

Israel - no idea how close this came, but I never liked it anyway
Georgia - weird, which I like, but a flat and uninspiring performance
Malta - a boring, safe song from a singer who was pitchy. Never going through in a million years
Cyprus - a good studio version, but her vocals were weak tonight. Underwhelming
Ireland - meh
North Macedonia - probably the least interesting song this year, very pedestrian, and with nothing to elevate it above the other songs here
Montenegro - another flat, weak performance in places
Belgium - I don't like this song, but the public clearly do, so fair play

So in the end - nine out of ten again, for a total of 18 out of 20 for the semis. My best performance yet :)

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

7/10 for me on Thursday night making it 14/20 - missed Poland, Belgium, Estonia.

William Lee Adams of Wiwibloggs now says anything other than top 5 is a disappointment for the UK!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Surely anything other than bottom is a good result for the UK?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I only got 6/10 correct in the 2nd Semi, very poor from me... :(

Tonights predicition....
1. Sweden
2. Ukraine
3. Italy
4. Greece
5. Serbia
6. Netherlands
7. Norway
8. Poland
9. Spain
10. United Kingdom
10a France
11. Moldova
11a Czech Rep
12. Iceland
13. Portugal
14. Finland
15. Azerbaijan
16. Australia
17. Armenia
18. Estonia
19. Lithuania
20. Romania
21. Switzerland
22. Germany
23. Belgium

Did this in a hurry so had to slot in France and Czech :roll:
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Well, well, well...!
I'm so pleased that I was badly wrong on the UK final position. After watching the live performance and comparing to the other songs I would have revised UK to 2nd and Ukraine to 1st. You just got the sense that the public was going to get behind Ukraine massively and UK would do well with the juries. So happy with 2nd place after two decades of relative failure.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, my final predictions for Saturday night, having watched everyone perform were as follows (along with their actual finishing position):

1. Ukraine (1)
2. Sweden (4)
3. United Kingdom (2)
4. Spain (3)
5. Poland (12)
6. Serbia (5)
7. Italy (6)
8. Australia (15)
9. Norway (10)
10. Greece (8)
11. Moldova (7)
12. Estonia (13)
13. Portugal (9)
14. Finland (22)
15. Azerbaijan (16)
16. Czech Republic (21)
17. Armenia (20)
18. France (24)
19. Romania (18)
20. Netherlands (11)
21. Lithuania (14)
22. Belgium (19)
23. Iceland (23)
24. Switzerland (17)
25. Germany (25)

So I got Ukraine, Iceland, and Germany right. The UK, Spain, Serbia, Italy, Norway, Estonia, Azerbaijan, and Romania were all one place away from my prediction, with Sweden and Greece being two places out. I'm quite pleased with that. Switzerland, Belgium, and Germany all need to up their Eurovision game - terrible songs.

Moldova was a big surprise, as was the televote score for Australia. Maybe they overdid it. And Serbia - YES! My absolute favourite this year, and she got what her masterpiece deserved.

Member of sweet FA
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

tubeguru wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:41 And Serbia - YES! My absolute favourite this year, and she got what her masterpiece deserved.
This was my favourite too - in fact, it's the only one I can remember :roll:
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

EastActionWoman wrote: 18 May 2022, 08:27
tubeguru wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:41 And Serbia - YES! My absolute favourite this year, and she got what her masterpiece deserved.
This was my favourite too - in fact, it's the only one I can remember :roll:
I'm glad someone else realises this :)

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Sam Ryder has narrowly lost to Harry Styles for this week’s #1, which confirms what I’ve been saying for a while: UK chart performance is a barometer for our Eurovision performance.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition