Sheffield Supertram

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Re: Sheffield Supertram

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Oh no Andi, you didn't cause offence, far from it, I in fact found your original comment funny! The "honestly" I typed was meant to be sarcasm, however it's backfired completely, ah well, never mind!

As for whether the tram runs weekends, yes it does. As a rule of thumb, expect each line to be 10 minutes frequency nearly all the time Monday to Friday, busiest parts of the day Saturday, and every 20 minutes for Sundays. The oddity of the Sheffield Supertram is the Purple route, whose frequency increases from every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday to every 20 on Sundays. I believe Hassan described the Purple route as being as rare as hens teeth, which is kind of true in some ways.

As for visiting the Steel City, I have a plan of a challenge that you may like, however it isn't currently possible, and won't be until 2011. I only say that you'll be interested as it's a bit zany, and in a nice way you were the most zany person at zone 1 which was when I met you, and I also reckoned you'd be great company. Anyhow for now that's just a pipe-dream, I'll contact you, and the rest of this forum when it becomes possible!

See you soon.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I can say i be interested in the challenge im obviously not tuned into my sarcastic side recently being 1 of the most zany challengers ever.To be honest the challenge on monday was a very big stress reliever for me knowing the following points.

1. It gave me time away from problems at work and at home
2. It gave me the oppurtunity to do what i do best complete the network.
3. To test myself against other tube challengers whom i didnt know running pace.
4. And to just be myself something which circumstances have restricted me to be recently.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:As for Malin Bridge being a nightmare, the situation has got far worse since our record time, as the traffic signals have been changed at Hillsborough corner making tram journeys slower.
Heh, do we need pre and post Hillsborough Corner records? ;)
Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:A Saturday is also an interesting idea, I'd like to see how you do.
Re-planned for this Saturday. I can feel my legs working again so here goes! :D (Should I really announce these things in advance?)
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Does this tram system run on a saturday or a Sunday then it is a challenge i gladly except i was thinking completing would be a doddle not record wise. :oops: my apologies if u believe otherwise if it makes u feel better i be a rookie doing ur network :(
If you want to gen up, Andi, the Wikipedia entry for Supertram is about as good a summary as you're likely to find.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:While to complete it may be a doddle I'd like to think breaking the record won't be thank you very much Andi!
Completing's so easy it doesn't even count really.
Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:A Saturday is also an interesting idea, I'd like to see how you do.
Well, I was on for a finish time of about 1:44:00 which would have been very close to your record. I got a great TPE train at Meadowhall, which is almost cross-platform from the tram, with 30 secs to spare. However I missed the elusive Purple tram coming up out of the station. It wasn't ahead or behind me either, even though that stretch of track has the best line of sight on the whole network. Essentially the attempt failed there but I carried on to complete anyway just to see what would have happened. Sure enough, between Gleadless and Herdings came the Purple tram I'd missed which had double-backed and was on its way into town again. Problem is the frequency drops to 2tph on that branch line so that served to put me 40 minutes behind overall. The irony is you can comfortably walk the length of the Herdings branch and back in less time than it takes to wait for a tram there.

Malin Bridge fixed. Now to sort Herdings on next attempt! :evil:
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

I like being Dr Frankenstein are reviving old topics!

I will be attempting this challenge tomorrow!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I wonder if any of you Supertram challengers have done the rare third side of the Park Square Triangle (direct between Hyde Park and Station) which I did bash one early morning!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Just finished!
2 hours, 4 mins, 22 seconds

Started at Middlewood
Finished at Halfway

Not a good time!

The youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bWAH-_Qmw
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

The Raven wrote:Just finished!
2 hours, 4 mins, 22 seconds

Started at Middlewood
Finished at Halfway

Not a good time!

The youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bWAH-_Qmw
Nice try! You think waiting for the elusive purple tram is a pain now--wait till you've tried it a few times!
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

tangy wrote:I wonder if any of you Supertram challengers have done the rare third side of the Park Square Triangle (direct between Hyde Park and Station) which I did bash one early morning!
I understand it only takes the "rare" side on its first run out of the depot, which for the route I've planned makes it extremely difficult to factor in. More power to you if you can make it work for you though.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

I did the rare side years ago when there was a regular service which went from Herdings to Meadowhall without diverting to the Cathedral as it does now. I think this service only ran for a brief time when this part of the network first opened - it may even have been before the last section from Shalesmoor to the two S6 terminuses was opened.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:I did the rare side years ago when there was a regular service which went from Herdings to Meadowhall without diverting to the Cathedral as it does now. I think this service only ran for a brief time when this part of the network first opened - it may even have been before the last section from Shalesmoor to the two S6 terminuses was opened.
Very first trams out of the depot to Halfway and Herdings Park go via here. I'm not sure if this offers any advantage to challengers though.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Adham smashed this record last year. It currently stands at 1:38:47
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

jamesthegill wrote: 18 Dec 2008, 09:28 Simple. Start at Halfway. Blue line to Gleadless Townend. Purple line to Herdings Park, back in to town on the same line to Meadowhall. Train to Sheffield station. Blue line to Malin Bridge, run to Hillsborough Park, Yellow line to Middlewood.
I decided to do this challenge today

I needed to add the new TramTrain to the route, so I made one modification. At Sheffield Station I got off to get the train to Meadowhall Interchange, then went back on the tram to Meadowhall South/Tinsley to change onto the TramTrain to take me to Parkgate. I then went to Cathedral got the first tram to arrive which was Middlewood, then doubled back to Hillsborough Park jogged/walked to Malin Bridge. Then went one stop to Hillsborough to finish

I made my first blunder very early on when I bought the wrong ticket meaning I had to buy a second for my train journey then a third for the journey to Parkgate

I started well, there was a train waiting at Sheffield, then a tram was just pulling in at Meadowhall Interchange as I arrived so I got that to Meadowhall South/Tinsley. Unfortunately now it unravelled. I had to wait 27 minutes for the tram to Parkgate which stopped between stops twice and sat on the platform at Parkgate for 10 minutes or so

Then at Cathedral I followed Geoff's advice to get the first train (or tram in this instance), but this was the Middlewood tram which meant a brief double back and a ten minute wait at Malin Bridge before I could go the regulated one stop to complete

Final time was 3:17:29

Not sure how legal it was though as I didn't stop at every station, I had a few passthroughs. I didn't do any evidence collecting either as I just wanted to enjoy it
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Indeed, who needs a record time anyway? Last Wednesday 31st August, I started the clock at 10:45:59am at Herdings Park:

• Herdings Park :arrow: Gleadless Townend
• Gleadless Townend :arrow: Crystal Peaks

Wanted to do one or two things in the shopping centre, so I did. Then:

• Crystal Peaks :arrow: Halfway
• Halfway :arrow: Sheffield Station

(A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do…)

• Sheffield Station :arrow: Malin Bridge
• Malin Bridge :arrow: Hillsborough
• Hillsborough :arrow: Middlewood
• Middlewood :arrow: Hillsborough

(Some men gotta do what they gotta do more often than others…)

• Hillsborough :arrow: Meadowhall Interchange
• Meadowhall Interchange :arrow: Meadowhall South/Tinsley

Ooh, I haven’t been to Meadowhall for nearly 25 years! Let’s have a look round for old time’s sake!

• Meadowhall South/Tinsley :arrow: Parkgate.

Stop clock at 3:53:46pm.

Total time 5:07:47.

And a very enjoyable day; completing the Supertram network was only part of it.