Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations 'Y' & 'Y+'

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 17:37 Well what a year of station guessing it has been and would be rude not to finish the year off with 1 more from me to keep u busy over the festive period. This one will be open longer than usual due to some people’s absence (Robbie) (not that I officially close my challenges anyways) :mrgreen:

So here is station Y+. https://youtu.be/VUzn3waUfJU I wouldn’t want to steal Z from Robbie as I’m sure he has 1 lined up.
Well, that's the quickest I've clicked on a photo and recognised a station - I think it was around 1 second! Answer submitted.

I'll 'sign off' in a couple of hours. Looks like I'm allowed to travel up north tomorrow. I'll take plenty of 'padding' for the ironing-board seats! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Y !

Post by RobbieM »

Happy New Year everyone! Trust you've all had a great festive season. :D

I've had one answer in for Station Y so far; if you would still like to enter, there is time. (I will put a hint up in the next few days.)

I've also taken a few pictures of stations whilst I've been away… (surprise, surprise). So I think once we've gone past station Z, I will begin working through the phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta etc.)

I was tempted to use the Greek alphabet, but I couldn't bear the thought of the fact that we would one day arrive at Omicron… :roll:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Station Y !

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 18:21 Happy New Year everyone! Trust you've all had a great festive season. :D

I've had one answer in for Station Y so far; if you would still like to enter, there is time. (I will put a hint up in the next few days.)

I've also taken a few pictures of stations whilst I've been away… (surprise, surprise). So I think once we've gone past station Z, I will begin working through the phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta etc.)

I was tempted to use the Greek alphabet, but I couldn't bear the thought of the fact that we would one day arrive at Omicron… :roll:
I thought you might use the spreadsheet convention, and start at AA, AB, AC etc ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Y !

Post by RobbieM »

Maybe I will do the spreadsheet lettering if we're still going after Station Zulu...

But I know we're all looking forward to staying in the Station Hotel, whilst dancing the Station Foxtrot... :D
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by trains 500 »

I was intending to do AA, AB etc. but the phonetic will do fine. Station hotel has to be either Corrour or Kirkby Stephen (am I missing any other stations with hotels?)

edit: I hope to be going after zulu, there is over 2000 stations to fill. But lets keep it to uk otherwise im hopeless
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Y - Hint!

Post by RobbieM »

Well, as promised, it's time for a hint for Station Y! How exciting. Here it is:

Go back to the post where I set Station Y on Monday 20th December. Write out the first letter of every word in that post sequentially. See if anything jumps out at you from that long line of letters...
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Station Y + Hint

Post by trains 500 »

trains 500 wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 17:37
So here is station Y+. https://youtu.be/VUzn3waUfJU I wouldn’t want to steal Z from Robbie as I’m sure he has 1 lined up.

As I've only had 1 answer a hint is that it is in Essex.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

3 correct submissions now :!:

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Y closing soon...

Post by RobbieM »

...answers, and Station Z coming Sunday. Hopefully...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'Y' - Answered!

Post by RobbieM »

Thank you for all the answers. So where was it? Well, the hint required you to write out all the first letters of my initial post sequentially. And when you came to the phrase “Where I’m going, there’s only Nessie”…

…the word Wigton should have popped out! It was hiding in plain sight all the time! I’m such a tease…. (Be aware, I may find other ways of hiding station names in future write-ups!)

Wigton is indeed our station, photographed on a baking hot day in July 2018. A nice flower-bed there, too. Not forgetting the handsome Harrington Hump, of course.

And the bonus? 121⅔ miles away, you’d find the main station of the city of Sheffield!

Well done to…. Steevooo and trains500, who correctly guessed Wigton before the hint was given. After the hint, answers also came flooding in from DavidC, tubeguru and michael_churchill. And everyone got the bonus correct too.

Incidentally, well done to tubeguru for noticing that Antrim’s station is also 121⅔ from Wigton station. But it’s a town, not a city, so wouldn’t have been an acceptable answer. But he got the right one anyway, so that’s fine by me.

As for Nessie, did she appear whilst I was in the Highlands? Sadly, no. Too cold and windy, maybe. She tends to show up more on my summer trips when the loch is calmer, apart from the canal boats gently creating their wakes….

Right, Station Z is coming soon – then we’re onto the Nato Phonetic Alphabet! 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'Z'

Post by RobbieM »

So, to finish the main alphabet, Station Z should hopefully be an easy-ish one. I think. (Well, they’re all easy if you know where they are….)

• Name Station Z.
• Bonus: Which famous author can be found buried within half a mile of this station?

PM your responses tout-de-suite! 😊
Last edited by RobbieM on 29 Jan 2022, 09:02, edited 4 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'Z' - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

Time for a hint, and I will probably give the answer next Monday. So, the hint:

I took this photo recently during my regular short walk from home to work.

( C'mon everybody! :D :D :D :) )
Last edited by RobbieM on 29 Jan 2022, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
tintin
Zone 1

Post by tintin »

trains 500 wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 10:15 Station hotel has to be either Corrour or Kirkby Stephen (am I missing any other stations with hotels?)
St Pancras
Newcastle
Greenwich
...and in five years time, Plymouth.
Tramlink: 2:07:14 (301219)
DLR: 1:56:33 (130320)
South of the River: 2:05:58 (050220)
South of the River post NLE: 2:04:34 (210921)
Copenhagen Metro 1:47:13 (050723)
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station 'Z' - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

But first... 14 British Railway Hotels Worth Missing Your Train For

I've had another correct answer since giving the hint. No surprises, really! Two days left. And Station Alpha is waiting in the wings...
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tintin wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 22:46
trains 500 wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 10:15 Station hotel has to be either Corrour or Kirkby Stephen (am I missing any other stations with hotels?)
St Pancras
Newcastle
Greenwich
...and in five years time, Plymouth.
Paddington being the obvious one (albeit no longer in railway hands).

Others I'm aware of include Fishguard, Reading, Carlisle and King's Cross.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!