Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 15:38 Station V has been open for almost two months now. Get on with it :lol:
I thought you'd be sympathetic! Working for GWR, you must know all about delays... :lol:

Hopefully before the evening's out I'll arrive....
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'V' - Answer

Post by RobbieM »

Here we go then. Thank you for all the answers; I can’t wait for any more people to hand their homework in late.

So, back in R.E. class again. What’s the hint about? In Luke chapter 12, there’s an interesting parable. A bloke was getting pretty rich, and wondering what to do with all his excess food he’s grown. But instead of feeding the hungry, he decided to stash it away for a rainy day. He’d stuffed his grain-stores to the max, and couldn’t get any more in. So in verse 18, he decided to knock the stores down and build bigger ones. (Silly chap! I’d never do a thing like that. I don’t grow grain, for a start….) Anyway, what were the stores called in verse 18? They were barns!

Barns! That’s the hint – can you think of a station which may mention ‘Barns’? Yes, of course it’s “Besses o’ th’ Barn”! Sorry – that’s now a tram stop. 😊 Silly me. But not many to choose from. And in this case, it’s Barnstaple!

And the bonus? An interesting railway feature 14¾ miles away? Well, a number of wrong guesses, but everyone who got the station right eventually got the bonus too. Which is the Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway. It’s the highest and steepest totally water-powered railway in the world. Very eco-friendly. Zero horse-power needed from the National Grid! And well worth a ride too, if you haven't done so.

Gold stars awarded to Trains500 and Steevooo (with correct boni on first guess).
Silver star awarded to EastActionWoman (bonus correct on second guess).
Bronze star to TubeGuru (bonus correct on third guess).

And all these folk got the station correct too! Obs…

Righto, the next one’s coming up soon. :D I hope….
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

You could also have mentioned that as grain is a "staple "food, the answer is entirely to be found in that story.

Indeed, one could say that the grain in the story was a "barn staple" ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 11:02 You could also have mentioned that as grain is a "staple "food, the answer is entirely to be found in that story.

Indeed, one could say that the grain in the story was a "barn staple" ...
How clever! Indeed, I missed a trick there. Well done.

Hope to have Station X up before the evening is out...
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Besses o th barn. My favourite. always use it as the answer to the most obscure place I’ve ever been. I know someone from whitefield who had never heard it and that’s just 1 stop away
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'X'

Post by RobbieM »

Well, isn’t this a fun competition? We’ve travelled around Great Britain, despite lockdowns and the like. We’ve been to Scotland, Wales, Northern England, Eastern England, Southern England, Western England, Middle England, and some associated islands. And Station X will now be added to the ever-expanding list of railway locations to guess.

(Hope you enjoyed the tour… I just felt I needed to shuffle everyone’s brains before I put the station live….)

• Name Station X.
• Bonus: What interesting railway feature can be found 1.45 miles from here?

PM your guesses to me as usual. I’ll give the answer either before Christmas or after Christmas. If at all… 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Hint - Station 'X'

Post by RobbieM »

There’s an object in this photo, of which you can only see the very end. If you want to see the other end of the same object, look at 'Station V'.

(I'll probably close this in a few days, and give you a tricky one to keep you going into 2022!)
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Technically there not the same object ones a bus ones a train

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

trains 500 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:21 Technically there not the same object ones a bus ones a train
How is anyone supposed to make sense of the hint now you've posted this?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Whatever the semantics, there's a big long thingy whatsit, which may be in one or more sections, but if it's multiple sections, they are linked together to make one big long thingy whatsit, and that's the thingy whatsit I'm referring to in the hint. I hope that's as clear as a very muddy bell... :roll:

It should certainly make the station much easier to work out, anyway....
RobbieM
All Zones

Station X - Answering soon

Post by RobbieM »

Alright - last chance, I'll probably answer this tonight. I've been expecting at least one more answer, but not got it yet. I don't want to mention names, but I neilly did by accident... :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'X' - Answered!

Post by RobbieM »

Right, that’s enough time. So where’s station X? Well, the hint suggests you’d find it at the other end of a train route from Station V. (That’s because the big, long thingy-whatsit I’m referring to is a train.) Back in 2017 when I did the line, there were regular direct services between Stations V and X. (I think they were regular, anyway….)

On that occasion, I travelled a direct service from Station X to Station V. These two photos were taken approximately two hours apart. So where is Station X? Well, it’s Exmouth! Yes, ‘X’ for ‘Exmouth’. (See how good I am at spelling?)

And the bonus? If you travel 1.45 miles in an approximately west-north-westerly direction, you get to Starcross Pumping Station – a striking reminder of Brunel’s Atmospheric Railway experiment. Ultimately it turned out to be a flop, but you gotta give these things a go, I suppose.

Well done to the following for getting the station right:
trains500 (also with bonus on 3rd guess)
Steevooo (with bonus right first time)
EastActionWoman – a late entry, but sadly no time to get the bonus in.

Station ‘Y’ coming soon! It’s probably a bit tricker, but it should keep you busy over Christmas….
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'Y' is here...

Post by RobbieM »

Well, assuming we’re still allowed to ride trains by Tuesday, I should be on the Highland Chieftain from King’s Cross all the way to Inverness. Yes, it's time for my traditional Highland Christmas/Hogmanay, spent at the bottom end of Loch Ness! That means I’m on holiday, and will be having a break from the forum (hopefully until around 9th January, so don’t expect any replies till then).

So you’ve plenty of time to work on Station Y! Maybe a bit tricker? Perhaps it’s a monster challenge! (But where I’m going, there’s only Nessie….)

• Name Station Y.
• Bonus: Which city’s main railway station can be found 121⅔ miles from Station Y?

Answer in 2022. Happy Christmas one and all!! 😊
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

8 hours of lner's impression of ironing boards
ouch!

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Well what a year of station guessing it has been and would be rude not to finish the year off with 1 more from me to keep u busy over the festive period. This one will be open longer than usual due to some people’s absence (Robbie) (not that I officially close my challenges anyways) :mrgreen:

So here is station Y+. https://youtu.be/VUzn3waUfJU I wouldn’t want to steal Z from Robbie as I’m sure he has 1 lined up.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds