Bank branch closure

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Raven
All Zones

Bank branch closure

Post by The Raven »

The Northern line (Bank branch) will be closed between Kennington and Moorgate from 15 January to mid-May 2022.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
jrparkin
Zone 3

Re: Bank branch closure

Post by jrparkin »

Damn. That means waiting even longer to do my FNC attempt. And I was hoping not to do it in Summer
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Having looked at the Tube map it seems the only station which will an issue is Borough

Bank is also on the Central Line, Monument is also on the Circle/District and London Bridge is also on the Jubilee. I'm assuming you will be able to stop at these stations still

If that is the case from my perspective I only need to get a bus from Elephant and Castle to Southwark
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

jrparkin wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 17:56 Having looked at the Tube map it seems the only station which will an issue is Borough

Bank is also on the Central Line, Monument is also on the Circle/District and London Bridge is also on the Jubilee. I'm assuming you will be able to stop at these stations still

If that is the case from my perspective I only need to get a bus from Elephant and Castle to Southwark
Monument isn't on the Northern Line, and I'm not sure how a bus from Elephant & Castle to Southwark helps you tick off Borough? Unless there's a Rail Replacement Service that goes via Borough?
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Just checking the rules here: Because the closure of Borough station is only temporary, does that mean that a FNC, and a few alternative challenges, are impossible in the first half of next year?
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Historically you would be required to get the requisite Rail Replacement Bus service - I'm pretty sure there won't be one provided for this, so you would presumably have to check with Guinness World Records for what their view is
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

This shouldn't be a surprise! That this was coming has been known for a while. Originally the closure would have been this year, delayed by you-know-what. It seems definite dates were first announced in July.

For those that don't know, this is part of the upgrade of Bank station itself. They've dug a new tunnel in parallel and this closure is to allow that tunnel to be brought into use. Eventually one current Northern Line platform will become part of the expanded circulation space.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Steeevooo wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 08:44
jrparkin wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 17:56 Having looked at the Tube map it seems the only station which will an issue is Borough

Monument isn't on the Northern Line, and I'm not sure how a bus from Elephant & Castle to Southwark helps you tick off Borough? Unless there's a Rail Replacement Service that goes via Borough?
I'm just getting tired of waiting until it's the right time to do it. The first glimmer of the idea was in January or February of 2020 before finally committing to it in October last year. My hope was I could get to do it in March, but now (if everything goes according to plan which it might not) I'm adding another two months to the waiting period and I was rather hoping to avoid doing it during the summer months

The alternative is to do it in March anyway and not worry about getting all 272.
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

Bank branch closure - a phrase you see in so many high street's these days!
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

jrparkin wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 16:42 Damn. That means waiting even longer to do my FNC attempt. And I was hoping not to do it in Summer
Were you unaffected by the closure of South Kensington (Piccadilly Line) until next spring?

Also there still seems to be no news on when Heathrow Terminal 4 will re-open.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

ANDY_JS wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 15:09
jrparkin wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 16:42 Damn. That means waiting even longer to do my FNC attempt. And I was hoping not to do it in Summer
Were you unaffected by the closure of South Kensington (Piccadilly Line) until next spring?

Also there still seems to be no news on when Heathrow Terminal 4 will re-open.
Yes because I had a couple of ideas to work around it. The simplest being instead of going Aldgate to Sloane Square then doubling back to Victoria to change to the Victoria Line I would go one stop further to South Kensington

I can't do much about Heathrow Terminal 4.

I just want to do it now and if it means only being able to do 269 stations then I'm willing to accept it. I'm not doing it for a GWR or even a time on the board on the forums, just as a fun adventure

I would like to ask however if you use a Rail Replacement Service what counts as 'visiting' a station. Do you just have to go to the building or do you have to enter
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

jrparkin wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 18:45 I would like to ask however if you use a Rail Replacement Service what counts as 'visiting' a station. Do you just have to go to the building or do you have to enter
I believe that using a replacement service (e.g. bus) that serves the station counts when it stops there.

For instance, I believe that in the olden days, when the East London Line between Shoreditch and New Cross / New Cross Gate was part of the Underground (and the full network was 275 stations), the works to extend the ELL that led to it becoming part of Overground closed the line for more than two years. During that time a Full Network completion required using the replacement buses.
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

OMG my tube challenge journey has come full circle since the beginning of 2007 people complaining that they had to visit SHOREDITCH. now 2021/22 now complaining about HEATHROW T4. Well look u complied with the c word testing giving them the false facts which they have used to lock you down falsely look at evidence since july 2021 no evidence lockdowns work hence u made heathrow t4 close down.

Hence now as a veteran i learnt what i did years ago now either learn to live with ur compliance on illegal so called laws which caused airports to shut down or stop bleating on about its so unfair and just get on with it i have been a record holder for most of those 14 years have i complained when lost record no i went out and re took the record back do i get recognition no i dont.

do i get angry when everybody says geoff can u give me advice well hell yes i do come to the record holder first its disrespectful to myself no disrespect to geoffrey he is not exactly my friend but im civil towards to him. And i respect people will always blindly go to the man that made tube challenge famous in a way.

But now u got a BOROUGH closure possible do you know i have no sympathy because when i started i didnt get the help either!.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Well said golf - people have nobody to blame but themselves for causing hysteria, fear and paranoia for these current issues
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Golf wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 23:38
do i get angry when everybody says geoff can u give me advice well hell yes i do come to one of the record holders first its disrespectful to myself no disrespect to geoffrey he is not exactly my friend but im civil towards to him. And i respect people will always blindly go to the man that made tube challenge famous in a way.
Just corrected that bit for you :wink: