FNC Attempt - Summer 2021

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

FNC Attempt - Summer 2021

Post by TwoobileeLine »

Hi there,

Earlier today, I trialled a new route that I created myself which started at Epping. It became obvious that the route wasn't going to work out, particularly because of the later start that using the Central line created. So, I have decided to scrap the idea for my planned Summer 2021 FNC Attempt, and go with a modified version of the Labyrinth Route. Do you guys think this is the way to go, or shall I stick with the route I created myself?
Planning FNC in Spring 2023
Completed Zone 1 in 3:24:55
DLR Practise Run in 2:27:17
Golf
Zone 4

Re: FNC Attempt - Summer 2021

Post by Golf »

i think u get more reward for coming up with a route of your own and it works!
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

Post by TwoobileeLine »

I'm sure it does! Starting at Epping is more viable for where I live, but makes it trickier to cover everything... Maybe I could solve the issue by going straight to the Northern End of the Metropolitan line after finishing the whole Hainault loop? Perhaps then I could make one of the morning rush trains that go straight to Chesham without having to change at Chalfont. I'm definitely going to change and improve my route, probably with elements of the Labyrinth Route in there, but I'll definitely take your advice into account!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I would agree with planning your own route 100%. What I would suggest though is decide where you are able to start and finish so you can get from/to home or hotel without too much bother. Then out of those two, pick to start at whichever one means you can get to the morning Olympia trains. If either is good, then finish at the one that is easier to get home/to hotel from. On your first FNC you're going to want to finish, but it will likely take the whole day, and you (ideally) don't want to be messing around any more than you have to at the end. The adrenaline wears off quickly after station 270!
P.S. good luck!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Good luck!

I'm waiting until after Battersea Power Station is open to do mine

What's the state of play with the stations that had to/will have to close for Bank extending it's platforms?
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I would say pass through, which is why the closure of Heathrow T4 is tricky as you can't pass through!
Doesn't any more.
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

Post by TwoobileeLine »

I did think of the workaround of using the London Overground to pass through Olympia coming up from West Brompton, as this would result in passing through the station. I would like to check with someone more experienced that this is a peroper move, and is within the rules though, as I am not quite sure myself. Also, I would like to incorporate Nine Elms and Battersea Power Station into the route, as in all likelihood, I will end up doing this challenge properly after those two stations have opened.

Heathrow's a tricky one, but I think the way to solve it is simply to wait until the Tube is in a more normal state to how it is now. At the moment its an absolute nightmare with all the closures and lack of staff (particularly on the Sub Surface routes!!!).
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Sorry, using the Overground is definitely NOT considered visiting Olympia as far as Guinness, and by extension ourselves, are concerned, as they are separate tracks and platform. This doesn't stop you doing that and enjoying the other 269 (or 271) stations if getting to it is too tricky!
Doesn't any more.
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

Post by TwoobileeLine »

Okay, I just needed to check that myself :D

I'll incorporate one of the early morning Olympia to High Street Kensington trains into the route in that case! As a result, I think I'll be able to go for the full 272 if I plan it right!
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Another idea and I believe Richie Firth tried to do this when he did his attempt with Geoff but they cancelled the trains is this

In the evening when you get to High Street Kensington instead of continuing to Notting Hill Gate get off and wait for the train to Kensington (Olympia) if you are in time. If you manage to get one take the Overground to Shepherd's Bush then the Central Line to Notting Hill Gate and continue with the Labyrinth route
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

Post by TwoobileeLine »

I'll look at the working timetable and try and work out whether that's a viable option with the version of the route I'm coming up with. Its essentially like a Labyrinth route with an altered start. It starts at Epping, before going straight to Chesham via the Bakerloo line, and after that, it basically follows the rest of the original route with a couple things switched around...
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

TwoobileeLine wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 10:40 Okay, I just needed to check that myself :D

I'll incorporate one of the early morning Olympia to High Street Kensington trains into the route in that case! As a result, I think I'll be able to go for the full 272 if I plan it right!
272?
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

Post by TwoobileeLine »

272 will be the full number of stations once the Northern Line Extension opens (hopefully later this year). Battersea and Nine Elms will be added on a new branch coming out of Kennington. I assume Charing Cross trains will terminate at Battersea instead of Kennington once it opens.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I believe the Battersea extension is due to open some time in the autumn, so a summer challenge would be on 270 stations.

As I understand things, 50% of trains on the Charing Cross line will go to Battersea, the other half will still take the Kennington loop.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
lucybaell
Zone 1

Post by lucybaell »

This might sound stupid, but I can't find anywhere that says Heathrow T4 will be open in time for a Summer FNC attempt? Would you just try your route anyway with it closed?