TUBE 38 NEW YORK NEW YORK

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
palkanetoijala31

Re: TUBE 38 NEW YORK NEW YORK

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

moley wrote:You could do London without exiting the system. It woudlnt get you a record time but would be possible. New Years Eve springs to mind.
One for Rhys jackson then he could get a parent to go round with him!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

When I said Tube I did mean London. I didn't realise new years eve was an exception to the last tube times. Particularly painful spots would be Hammersmith, Olympia (must begin there, or do it in the evening) West Ruislip, Harrow and Wealdstone.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

A lot of routes start at Rockaway and u can run between beach 90st to 67st to meet up with shuttle and then back towards Rockaway boulevard.From there it gets more complicated as certain stations a line doesnt run to all stations so u have to switch this is easy cross platform at euclid av.I personally liked the silver line shuttle from franklin av it looks nice and is although short used well.
palkanetoijala31

More runs that we did were High street to Clark st Franklin av on c line to Botanic garden (if no double back) Presdient st to Nostrand,Junius St to Livonia Av, Central Av to Dekalb Av,121 st to Jamaica van Wyck and 207 st to 207 st .
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Oh dear I'm getting ideas now :oops: . For the not exiting London record, would love to do New York as from what Andi's said he reckons there's more slack in their record.

I guess there's less reason to do London without exiting, it wouldn't be any cheaper, whereas I think in NY one trip (i.e. no exits) all comes ridiculously cheaply. I seem to recall one guy (possibly the one who still holds the non-exit record in NY) rode around for over 80 hours. And my friends think I'm mad :roll:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

So, New York features a flat rate ticket system, basically an admittance ticket?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

tractakid wrote:So, New York features a flat rate ticket system, basically an admittance ticket?
The problem with New york is the tickets they are quite flimsy called metrocards i didnt like them they also dont have the technology in them if u enter the system u cant exit do a run reenter the system within say 10 minutes it wont let u through the barriers.Ok this didnt happen much only once or twice but was still annoying.

On a plus note Metro card $29.99 for 1 week worth of travel current exchange rate £1 = $1.50 dollar so roughly 20 quid for a weeks travel compared to that 1 day of london travel roughly.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

What do you think your theoretical best time would have been if everything had worked according to plan?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

greatkingrat wrote:What do you think your theoretical best time would have been if everything had worked according to plan?
Ah that would be telling wouldnt it lets just say its a healthy time under the present record set.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:The problem with New york is the tickets they are quite flimsy called metrocards i didnt like them they also dont have the technology in them if u enter the system u cant exit do a run reenter the system within say 10 minutes it wont let u through the barriers.Ok this didnt happen much only once or twice but was still annoying.
is the way around this to buy two Metrocards (yes, double the price, i know) and then just alternate in their use.
palkanetoijala31

geofftech wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:The problem with New york is the tickets they are quite flimsy called metrocards i didnt like them they also dont have the technology in them if u enter the system u cant exit do a run reenter the system within say 10 minutes it wont let u through the barriers.Ok this didnt happen much only once or twice but was still annoying.
is the way around this to buy two Metrocards (yes, double the price, i know) and then just alternate in their use.
Thats exactly what we did but they are flimsy and easy to lose as well.
palkanetoijala31

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
geofftech wrote:
Thats exactly what we did but they are flimsy and easy to lose as well.
I have remembered the whole route now would anybody like to give this a go perhaps later this year!
Brighton Local
Zone 1

Post by Brighton Local »

tractakid wrote: 19 Apr 2012, 01:15 New York doesn't look much fun... not as much character as the tube. From what I've seen, its all bland. Stations are all numbers, as are the lines. No roundels. For the challenge, most people attempt it without leaving the network? If I ever visited the US, I wouldn't want to do this. Id ride on the network , but not like I'd ride the Tube.

Of course, this is biased, and highly prejudiced, but am I at all right?
As a New Yorker. The character is in the underground sections. Elevated is bland except for a couple of spots with cemeteries, water between Howard Beach and the Beach streets, and the viaduct bridges.
Brighton Local
Zone 1

Post by Brighton Local »

Iain wrote: 19 Apr 2012, 08:52 As I understand it, if you did it without exiting the system, you'd do a fair few double backs wasting time. I know Andi spent time scouting out runs so I presume this was the method used. I seem to recall some of the regular subway riders believed that you should do it all on one ticket (so without exiting the system), but it's not the Guinness rules.

If that's wrong someone who knows more please correct me!
GWR and local rules were different until minimum MetroCard (1997). Unlimited MetroCard changed everything.
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

I would love to give this another go i got a route for new york that would break that record easily. Doesnt look im getting a chance anytime soon due to the BOZO in charge of the country.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once