Post Covid FNC

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Post Covid FNC

Post by trains 500 »

with a new tube line bus route may even change who knows yet we'll have to wait and see??
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
cycysputnik
Zone 1

Post by cycysputnik »

I've done it twice, starting at Heathrow T5 and finishing at Chesham. I can confirm it feels like a really long journey getting back down to Heathrow (Tube to Wembley park, Night tube to Green Park, Then to Hounslow West)
Staying at the Heathrow Central travelodge did me well the 2 times i've done it. The parking is a little steep price wise.
For my 3rd attempt I want to do a Chesham start. I'd recommend before you do really make sure you have your 'A' route planned, and also have a 'B' route, just in case. Make sure you know what stations have toilets and what stations have places you can easily get food on. Obviously make sure you have food and drink with you, although there's nothing better than having something hot around 3PM when you've been awake for 12 hours
4 x FNC Attempts, 2 X FNC Completions - Personal Best: 18:52:12
Based on a true story.
A product of the 5th generation of rock and roll.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

i would never finish in the top west corner

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Where does everybody put their Travelcard. I'm putting mine in a top shirt pocket (with a button so it doesn't fall out) so it's easily accessible
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

zipped trouser/shorts pocket

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

jrparkin wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 16:12 Where does everybody put their Travelcard. I'm putting mine in a top shirt pocket (with a button so it doesn't fall out) so it's easily accessible
I also do this. I find running with the pass in my shorts pocket distracting and also it is much harder to get out from there unless the pocket is shallow, in which case it is too easy for it to fall out!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

jrparkin wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 16:12 Where does everybody put their Travelcard. I'm putting mine in a top shirt pocket (with a button so it doesn't fall out) so it's easily accessible
Good idea - hadn't thought of that! At first I kept mine in the driving license part of my wallet, which is both slow to access and with hindsight not particularly safe. I also managed to lose my wallet during one R15! After that, I started keeping it in my mobile phone pouch (until I lost my phone and pouch) and the only pouches I've been able to buy since then have magnetic catches which render the ticket unusable....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

i dont use at travelcard full stop. i use an oyster for one reason. a paper ticket its fiddly to insert and takes what could be valuable to seconds to be retrieved. with an oyster you put it on machine and runimmediatley with travelcard u have to wait for it to come back out and you could miss a train

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

trains 500 wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 22:13 i dont use at travelcard full stop. i use an oyster for one reason. a paper ticket its fiddly to insert and takes what could be valuable to seconds to be retrieved. with an oyster you put it on machine and runimmediatley with travelcard u have to wait for it to come back out and you could miss a train
The problem you have then is maximum journey times - you may have to go and tap out and back in to avoid a penalty fare, which is more likely to miss you a train I'd think.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

A Challenge wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 01:45
trains 500 wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 22:13 i dont use at travelcard full stop. i use an oyster for one reason. a paper ticket its fiddly to insert and takes what could be valuable to seconds to be retrieved. with an oyster you put it on machine and runimmediatley with travelcard u have to wait for it to come back out and you could miss a train
The problem you have then is maximum journey times - you may have to go and tap out and back in to avoid a penalty fare, which is more likely to miss you a train I'd think.
That depends on whether you have a seasonal ticket loaded onto your Oyster or whether you are using PAYG
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

As I travel in from outside the Oyster Zone, it's simpler and cheaper for me to use the Travelcard (at least for the mini Challenges), rather than buy a ticket to Paddington and then use an Oyster.

Were I to do an FNC, I'd probably start at Chesham and catch the RailAir bus home (assuming I completed) so an Oyster might be more of a possibility there.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

in your going for record the money cost of a time out wouldnt matter
and in case of time out i would always have a spare second oyster with you
i would be PAYG
(my opinion)

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Done my first pass at writing down Carriage positions, I will double check it later to see if I have them correct.

Next up - although I don't know when that will be - will be planning my recce's. Top of the list will be visiting Baker Street and Victoria and doing a couple of the tricky foot transfers like West Ruislip to Ickenham
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

baker street isnt too bad (in my opinion) but victoria is one of the worst
if your door positions have come from station master some data is incorrect especially E&Castle bakerloo

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Yes I'm using Station Master. Although if I'm just looking for a completion I don't need to worry too much do I?