Random 15 Championship 2020/21 season.

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Random 15 Championship 2020/21 season.

Post by tangy »

What is everyone's views on starting the NEW 2020/21 season as usual on the third Saturday of September?

Subject to no local/national restrictions being force at the time.

I will review all responses and make a decision whether to proceed or not.

Tangy.
BERC.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2020/21 season.

Post by RJSRdg »

There's already been some discussion of this on another thread in this forum - my personal feeling (and that of other respondents to the thread) is that it is still too soon. Multiple changes increase the number of people someone comes into close contact with so increases the probability both of contracting the virus and of spreading it. (That said, Geoff's latest videos seem to suggest that even in Zone 1 the Tube is still pretty quiet). We also have to be conscious of the very real risk of a 'second' wave.

I'm also finding that wearing a mask for more than about half an hour gives me headaches and a couple of times I've felt as if I was about to pass out (though hopefully cooler/less humid weather will help). So I'm afraid much as I miss it, Challenging doesn't hold much attraction for me at the moment.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I don't think there is any chance of restrictions being lifted by mid-September. I won't be attending any challenge while masks are still compulsory on public transport.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

My home situation means that I'll still be sticking to essential travel only for a while yet.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I can see 4 potential issues with restarting the season -

1) Wearing a face mask - as other people have stated, spending a day in a face mask running around doesn't make for an enjoyable day (I can just about manage it whilst walking around but still need to have regular breaks). If the enjoyment factor is taken away, what is the motive to do a tube challenge?

2) Public and staff perception - the world is a very judgmental place at the moment with (as an example) the issue of wearing/not wearing face masks highlighting this. If the general public are willing to call people out on this matter, are we putting ourselves at risk of confrontation by running through stations/standing close together/etc? In addition, TfL and security (police or otherwise) are even more alert to 'unusual' activity and would potentially result in a conversation with a challenger. Both these points lead to the greater risk of bringing the Tube Challenging community into disrepute (rightly or wrongly).

3) Post-challenge meet up - half the fun of a Tube Challenge (maybe more for some people!) is the meet up afterwards to discuss routes/life/etc over a few pints and some attempts at playing darts. Unless I am much mistaken, I don't believe there is a venue that can/would host such activities within the current restrictions with 10+ people.

4) Living away from London - for those who live close to London, doing a tube challenge may not be an issue as you can travel and do the challenge in a day. However, for those of us who have to travel from further afield (and I now very much fall into that category) it is a lot of effort and money to do just a couple of hours running round the network and nothing else. Given that the current guidelines and legislation are changing on a whim, this is not something people may be willing to commit to.

My personal preference would be to delay the first round to November and maybe do a double header (Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun) on the usual CiN weekend. The situation is evolving all the time and given the government's trigger happy nature with re-introducing lockdown measures, some more stability is required before returning to Tube Challenging.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I am happy to go with your decision Tangy - much as I dislike wearing masks we have been forced too all day in the office for a couple of months now - despite government guidelines to the contrary...

If there was a round I Sept I would personally come along....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Post by stepneygreen05 »

I probably will aswell, but maybe that's just because I myself live in Z2
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

I wouldn't mind doing it. I'd stay distanced as best as I could and may not run as much as I would otherwise, so it would take a bit more time, but I'm fine with that.

P.S. Copied from my comment on the similar thread in the R15 Facebook group.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I was in London on BH Monday catching up with a couple of friends and we went to the Prince William Henry in Southwark (for those not familiar with it we have used it previously for Tube Challenge events, predominantly Parks Challenge). I noticed 2 interesting things whilst I was there -

1) It has a large outdoor area but a fair bit more of it is now under cover with heaters.
2) There is a dart board in this outdoor covered area...

So if we did eventually get into a position where people would be happy to do a R15 or other Tube Challenge event, this may be a possibility for a meet up point afterwards. Not sure how they would feel if a lot of us turned up but that's a hurdle for another day...

I also took the Tube for the first time since lockdown on Monday. It was the Victoria line from Vauxhall to KXSP and it did get reasonably full (certainly at social distancing capacity). There was definitely some visible nervousness on some members of the general public when it reached these levels (around the usual busy stations of Green Park and Oxford Circus). The levels are not surprising though given that weekends and BH are the busiest time in the centre of London at the moment. Just an observation to share back to the group.
David
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

So we can blame the crosswinds when we miss the board!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I am of the view that it is too soon, personally speaking. There is the issue of public perception and I wouldn't want to do any tube challenge until the mask requirement is lifted, which may be next year. Possibly merge 2019-20 and 2020-21.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Post by stepneygreen05 »

I disagree with the above statement. In areas such as London, where the challenge is held, the disease has mostly subsided and now is the time to get on again with our lives. We ought to do our duty to our city and go back to it.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

stepneygreen05 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 15:13 I disagree with the above statement. In areas such as London, where the challenge is held, the disease has mostly subsided and now is the time to get on again with our lives. We ought to do our duty to our city and go back to it.
Mostly doesn't mean eradicated though, and different people will feel differently about the risk involved in running around the tube network for hours in the current environment. As for doing our duty to our city, most people aren't even returning to the workplace yet, but I'm sure that London will be mightily relieved should Tube Challenging recommence...
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Steeevooo wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 16:03
stepneygreen05 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 15:13 I disagree with the above statement. In areas such as London, where the challenge is held, the disease has mostly subsided and now is the time to get on again with our lives. We ought to do our duty to our city and go back to it.
Mostly doesn't mean eradicated though, and different people will feel differently about the risk involved in running around the tube network for hours in the current environment. As for doing our duty to our city, most people aren't even returning to the workplace yet, but I'm sure that London will be mightily relieved should Tube Challenging recommence...
I agree with hopeful traveller on both his points, my concerns previously have been raised around the public (and arguably more importantly staff and police/security/etc) perception. I have been out and about wearing a mask for most of a day on trains at my leisure (not for challenge purposes) and whilst I am for the wearing of masks on public transport, it doesn't half get uncomfortable after a long day.

To "do my duty for the city" now requires me to travel much further than most for an R15 and, personally, the current circumstances don't present an attractive day out to warrant the cost (even though I would love to meet up with you all again soon!). I am probably not the only one in this boat (in addition to other valid concerns people may still have), but if people wish to go ahead and do challenges (alone or in a group) then that is their choice.
David
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Didn't really want to open a new thread, but just going to throw this suggestion at Tangy:

Potentially merge whatever is cobbled together in the next 12 months (until July 2022) with the 2019-20 season and treat it as one very long season? That's what is being done over at Countdown's equivalent of these meet-ups, and although they work by calendar year, 2020, 2021, and 2022 is all being merged into one year.

In terms of "dropping" scores, 9 rounds or more = 2 rounds dropped to keep broadly the same 5:1 ratio.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition