Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2020- CANCELLED

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2020- CANCELLED

Post by tangy »

**This event is CANCELLED due to coronavirus/lockdown measures in force**

The Zone 1 Challenge Cup is back for it's 16th year on Friday 29th May 2020.

The aim is simple: visit all 64 stations on the London Underground system that are within Oyster card Zone 1 in the fastest time. You will be competition with other teams (and the trains themselves) for the coveted Zone One Challenge Cup. All teams will start from the same station at the same time and the start station is not known until 45 minutes before the challenge...

Full details of the event (including meet up location, timetable of the day, rules of the challenge and after event quiz) can be found on the dedicated website at http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... ne1cup.htm

Even though this is an open invitation event, it would greatly assist me if you notify me of your attendance at the event (even if you are at this stage a maybe). Contact details are on the website (see link above) or if you have me on social media, message me direct.

Hope to see many of you there, be it a first timer or a regular challenger that shows up year after year.

Thanks
Tangy
BOZO (Boss Of Zone One).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2020

Post by Going Underground »

Planning to be there but not sure that life would have returned to normality by then...Stay safe everyone 👍
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm going to make a guess that this won't happen - May seems a very optimistic date for things to get completely back to normal.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer said today it would be about 6 months before things really return to normal, so I think if we're lucky the next Tube event might be the Cannon Street Run.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

RJSRdg wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 23:39 The Deputy Chief Medical Officer said today it would be about 6 months before things really return to normal, so I think if we're lucky the next Tube event might be the Cannon Street Run.
The people society won't last 6 months of lock down no one could. I'm predicting a slight relaxation of travel restrictions which will mean tube travel possibly by end of May I attend if this is case as I have day off
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I had the day booked off, I'd bought return train travel ... now I'm in 12 weeks of isolation. Cancelled the day off and waiting for a refund on the tickets. Even if we were out of a lock down situation by the end of May (something I seriously doubt), the idea of being in a tube train is not appealing.
Elsie
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Could we have a virtual zone one!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

So following the new lockdown rules announced tonight are we on or off for Z1? It is sport and it is exercise
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Going Underground wrote:So following the new lockdown rules announced tonight are we on or off for Z1? It is sport and it is exercise
So long as everyone keeps two meters apart!

Though seriously I think you would have a hard time explaining to a police officer that the zone one isn't unnecessary use of public transport. The pubs would still be shut as well...

Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

The Raven wrote: 10 May 2020, 20:31
Going Underground wrote:So following the new lockdown rules announced tonight are we on or off for Z1? It is sport and it is exercise
So long as everyone keeps two meters apart!

Though seriously I think you would have a hard time explaining to a police officer that the zone one isn't unnecessary use of public transport. The pubs would still be shut as well...

All of that can be worked around :wink:
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Was thinking of doing it as a bike ride, which gives me the opportunity to plan a whole new route :D
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Cycling tube map is available

Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

The Raven wrote: 12 May 2020, 11:46 Cycling tube map is available
ooh, thank you!
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

I think that it is fairly clear that this year's event should be cancelled. Although the rules for lockdown have recently had a tiny level of relaxation they in no way support a group of people meeting up, let alone that gathering meaning rushing around on public transport. There would also be no way for a post-challenge meetup to go ahead.

I do think that last year's challenge cup winner should still be required to lug the cup around with them for the entire day though :D
- Andrew
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

A statement from the BOZO:

It is with regret that this year's Zone 1 Challenge Cup will unfortunately have to be CANCELLED.

In line with the UK government guidelines, we are still officially in lockdown and are likely still to be so when this event was meant to take place. Therefore it would be foolish of me to allow this event to take place as we would be breaking many rules of the lockdown measures such as gathering in a large group of unrelated persons which is not allowed.

Furthermore, even though TfL has rescinded its message about not travelling unless absolutely essential and services are slowly returning to near normal frequency, the message is still clear about use of public transport. Riding around the Tube system for the purpose of a Tube Challenge would not considered a valid reason for travelling. Also, we still have the issue of social distancing to consider which is especially relevant in enclosed spaces such as a deep level Tube train!

We also know that pubs would still be banned from opening on the day of the event, making the post challenge social, results/prizes and quiz near impossible to conduct which is an integral part of the day for many that attend. Which is a pity, I had some devilish questions for this year's quiz!

Thank you for your understanding and the Zone 1 Challenge Cup will hopefully return in 2021.

Tangy
The BOZO
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.