Zone 1 challenge training

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Zone 1 challenge training

Post by EastActionWoman »

There are no engineering works/closures on the Underground tomorrow (more than can be said for the Overground)!

I've decided it's about time I stopped checking my preferred Zone 1 challenge route online, and actually attempt it for real. Given my fitness levels and a Saturday service, I'm hoping to finish in less than 3 hours. If everything runs smoothly including my legs, I could get near 2h45m, but realistically will be more like 2h52m.

The route contains the usual Bayswater <-> Queensway, Aldgate and Paddington runs, but I've cut out Farringdon <-> Chancery Lane cos it's just too long at the moment.

Ideally will be starting at Knightsbridge at 8.17, but will probably be 9.17, finishing in time for lunch. Meeting up with a friend who drives on the H&C line - she's promised to show me how the platforms at Edgware Road work 8)

Will post finish time and any interesting interchanges afterwards.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 challenge training

Post by Going Underground »

Love it Z1 challenge training :lol: enjoy :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Slight change of plan - have to be at Edgware Road by 11.30, so might do half the route in the morning and half in the afternoon - pausing the clock at an appropriate point.

My friend has invited me to travel in the cab on her second train of the day - I'm a little bit excited about this 8) :wink:
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

EastActionWoman wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 12:48 My friend has invited me to travel in the cab on her second train of the day - I'm a little bit excited about this 8) :wink:
Only a little???
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

michael_churchill wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 16:47
EastActionWoman wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 12:48 My friend has invited me to travel in the cab on her second train of the day - I'm a little bit excited about this 8) :wink:
Only a little???
That would be British understatement. Actually I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement and feel like a five-year-old waiting for Christmas Day to arrive :oops:
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Apologies for the long post, but if you get to the end, it'll be worth it - honest!

Well, training was a bit rubbish. Managed to get out of bed early enough to start at 8.17, but it all went downhill from there: a Bakerloo line train sat outside Elephant & Castle for two minutes; a lovely interchange of 1m30s at London Bridge was followed by sitting at the platform for seven minutes whilst "we clean up some vomit on a train" a few stations ahead; etc etc. Managed to run all the Queensway <-> Bayswater route in 1m30s (usually stop half way), but took two minutes between platform and ticket office at Queensway :roll: Was about 17 minutes behind schedule when the driver of the Circle line train at Liverpool Street waved at me. It was my friend (as mentioned above), so I stopped the stopwatch and spent the next 4 hours with her.

What an experience! Beautiful sunny day so I was able to get lots of photos and videos (unfortunately I'm not allowed to put them on social media - TfL gets twitchy). Started off taking the train down to Hammersmith then back up to Edgware Road where another driver took over. I got to eat in the staff canteen there whilst she was on her break, and she also showed me how the platforms work now (more on that below). Then I got to ride in the cab for the first two of her three back-to-back trips round the Circle line - first Hammersmith to Edgware Road clockwise, then back again. She dropped me off at Wood Lane at the start of her final trip back round.

Once we'd finished catching up on our personal gossip, she showed me lots of things about the trains. How she switches between automatic and manual driving and the sections where this applied; how the CCTV kicks in at each station so she can see the entire length of the platform and check everyone's got on and off the train safely; and the different types of signals and speed restrictions along various parts of the track. Got to hear tube driver gossip, including the incident last week where a northbound Met line train on the automatic section got taken into the Circle line platform at Baker Street. And I got to sound the whistle at the relevant times! It was all amazing and now I want to be a tube driver :lol:

Things learned which might help other tube challengers:
  1. The Station Master app info on Edgware Road is out of date.
    • Platform 1 is still eastbound Circle/H&C services.
    • Platform 2 is now the start/end of the Wimbledon service.
    • Platform 3 is the start/end of the Circle via Victoria.
    • Platform 4 is still westbound Circle/H&C to Hammersmith.
    This is all subject to change if there are delays/cancellations.
  2. In the automated sections (Hammersmith to Euston Square and another bit along the bottom which I can't remember), the door lights change from orange to white just before the beeps go, as the train is about to depart.
  3. If anyone would also like to take a trip in the cab with my friend, she's more than happy to take you. Max two people - there's a spare seat, but only really room for one other person to stand. Only a few rules: you can't post photos/videos online, you must be prepared to chat (though my friend will do a lot of talking when showing you how everything works), if there's a problem/emergency you'll need to go back into the saloon, and, most importantly, don't press the big red button! If you'd like to take a trip, please PM me and I'll see what I can do.