Zone 1 start/finish?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Zone 1 start/finish?

Post by quisquidillius »

Hello, has anybody ever done a start or finish in Zone 1? I know that Zone 2 has been done before (Olympia). Also, which other weird starts have been done? I'd be interested in seeing these weird routes.
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 start/finish?

Post by Steeevooo »

I believe that Bob Robinson started an attempt at Temple
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Last year's Cannon Street run was a Full Network (I assume this is what we're talking about here), starting at Cannon Street. I can't remember if anyone completed or not.

But generally speaking FNCs don't tend to start in Zone 1 because it requires doublebacks to three of Amersham/Chesham, Heathrow, Upminster and Epping whereas most FNCs reduce the number of long doublebacks by starting at one of those places.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I don't know any really weird ones apart from the Cannon Street one!! For odd routes I've heard of Wimbledon to Morden, Cockfosters to High Barnet, Richmond is a surprisingly common start/finish point.

Actually, I believe I saw a Wembley Park to Canning Town mentioned at some point...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I can see the logic of a Cockfosters-High Barnet route. That's a pain of a transit and takes at least 20 minutes, eliminating it would go some way to balancing out an extra long doubleback (Heathrow T5 to Paddington could be done in under 20 minutes if you were prepared to fork out for the Heathrow Express).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

If you did High Barnet to Cockfosters you could also time it for a good Mill Hill East visit.

Nobody finished the Cannon Street FNC. Some plans there were to start and finish in Zone 1, which is a bit crazy.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but can anyone confirm that the number of stations in a zone one only challenge would be 68 in total? In some places it says 64 or 61 but I don't think those are right. (I assume the Zone 1 challenge includes stations that are in both zones 1 and 2). I think there are 64 stations just in zone one and 4 stations in zones one and two at the same time.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

ANDY_JS wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 11:17 Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but can anyone confirm that the number of stations in a zone one only challenge would be 68 in total? In some places it says 64 or 61 but I don't think those are right. (I assume the Zone 1 challenge includes stations that are in both zones 1 and 2). I think there are 64 stations just in zone one and 4 stations in zones one and two at the same time.
From the rules page, it's 64 stations total, which includes stations in both zones 1 and 2:

Aldgate, Aldgate East, Angel, Baker Street, Bank, Barbican, Bayswater, Blackfriars, Bond Street, Borough, Cannon Street, Chancery Lane, Charing Cross, Covent Garden, Earl's Court, Edgware Road (Bakerloo), Edgware Road (Circle/H&C), Elephant & Castle, Embankment, Euston, Euston Square, Farringdon, Gloucester Road, Goodge Street, Great Portland Street, Green Park, High Street Kensington, Holborn, Hyde Park Corner, King's Cross St. Pancras, Knightsbridge, Lambeth North, Lancaster Gate, Leicester Square, Liverpool Street, London Bridge, Mansion House, Marble Arch, Marylebone, Monument, Moorgate, Notting Hill Gate, Old Street, Oxford Circus, Paddington (Praed Street), Paddington (Circle/H&C), Piccadilly Circus, Pimlico, Queensway, Regent's Park, Russell Square, Sloane Square, South Kensington, Southwark, St. James's Park, St. Pauls, Temple, Tottenham Court Road, Tower Hill, Vauxhall, Victoria, Warren Street, Waterloo, Westminster.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

DrainBrain wrote: 04 Aug 2016, 09:09 If you did High Barnet to Cockfosters you could also time it for a good Mill Hill East visit.

Nobody finished the Cannon Street FNC. Some plans there were to start and finish in Zone 1, which is a bit crazy.
My first full network was the HB to Cockfosters route - our first train was late out meaning we missed our lovely Mill Hill East train. Andi said run to MHE to try and catch it back, then we got lost and only just got the next one back by the skin of our teeth! Meanwhile Kev and co had chilled at Finchley cent for 15 minutes and done no running at all, then ridden the same train up and back. What a great introduction to tube challenging!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

DrainBrain wrote: 04 Aug 2016, 09:09 Nobody finished the Cannon Street FNC. Some plans there were to start and finish in Zone 1, which is a bit crazy.
My route was Cannon Street :arrow: Pimlico but got scuppered early due lost phone / money - BUT I except a repeat attempt on Cannon Street Run XX assuming the timings look similar....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold