Another proposed attempt

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Another proposed attempt

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm in a similar situation - I think I've found the optimal start and the optimal finish, but I'm 17 minutes too long in the middle (the most optimal Hainault Loop doesn't get me back to HSK in time for the Olympia train).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

You've basically got a few options -

1. rejig the stuff in the middle to make it faster - there's probably hundreds of ways to order the middle, maybe you've missed one
2. wait until an extra Olympia service day
3. use a sub-optimal start finish - losing a few mins at the start but gaining twenty later is still a massive win
4. some combination of the above
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I didn't think there were any special Olympia days anymore?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Not been keeping an eye on them, maybe not.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Question: does anyone know whether the Central Line timetable has been changed in the last week or so?

The reason I ask is that there always used to be a 8:55am train departing from Epping towards central London, but this seems to have disappeared from the timetables in the last few days.

Could it be an alteration due to a "leaf fall timetable"? I know it affects the Metropolitan Line mainly, but perhaps it also affects this part of the Central Line as well. If anyone knows the answer I'd be interested to know.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Only met and PICC have leaf fall timetables as far as I know
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The latest Central Line timetable on https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publicatio ... timetables was dated 2016 and shows the 0855 from Epping, so as far as I know there has been no official timetable change.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

ANDY_JS wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 00:56 Question: does anyone know whether the Central Line timetable has been changed in the last week or so?

The reason I ask is that there always used to be a 8:55am train departing from Epping towards central London, but this seems to have disappeared from the timetables in the last few days.

Could it be an alteration due to a "leaf fall timetable"? I know it affects the Metropolitan Line mainly, but perhaps it also affects this part of the Central Line as well. If anyone knows the answer I'd be interested to know.
The other reason this may have happened is because of the current "semi-strike" action currently going on with RMT-backed Drivers regarding noise levels on the tube. They are deliberately going slower on some sections of some lines to try and reduce this. The Central line is one of the lines affected and they may have had to reshuffle the timetable at short notice to compensate for it (the Central line is one of the worst for noise along quite a large section of it due to the way it was originally built). This action is currently going on indefinitely.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The train that should form the 0855 from Epping (0727 Ruislip Gardens - Epping 0847), is diverted to Hainault via Woodford instead. It appears this is so the Sandite train can run to Epping and back so it is leaf fall related.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

xcooler123 wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 14:55 The other reason this may have happened is because of the current "semi-strike" action currently going on with RMT-backed Drivers regarding noise levels on the tube. They are deliberately going slower on some sections of some lines to try and reduce this. The Central line is one of the lines affected and they may have had to reshuffle the timetable at short notice to compensate for it (the Central line is one of the worst for noise along quite a large section of it due to the way it was originally built). This action is currently going on indefinitely.
The excessive noise levels (screeching) on certain parts of the tube have only been occurring over the last couple of years. I've noticed it on the Victoria line around Pimlico, Central around Bethnal Green, Northern around Camden Town and Jubilee around Baker Street. These locations are backed up by this 2018 study https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42791299

Does anyone know what the specific problem is? Installation of new rail fastenings, the Pandrol Vanguard, have been suggested, as have rough rails due to lower maintenance. Coincidentally three of these lines use the 1996 stock and all of them have night tube services. IMO it is probably a combination of speed, track, train and lower maintenance due to night tube. TfL don't seem to know and are literally putting their hands over their ears pretending not to hear any complaints. Drivers have demanded ear defenders (what about the passengers?) and are driving slower over the affected sections.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m