Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Re: Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Post by michael_churchill »

michael_churchill wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 10:53 Which 1986 hit single has a title inspired by the occasion when the singer met French composer Pierre Boulez at a party?
Answer: Paul Simon was at the party with his first wife, Peggy. Monsieur Boulez presumably misheard or misunderstood their names and called them Al and Betty. Hence, "I can call you Betty, and Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al".
michael_churchill
Zone 6

What is the significance of the following questions
"Which King was married to Eleanor of Aquitaine? Henry I, Henry II, Richard I or Henry V"
"If you planted the seeds of Quercus robur, what would grow? Trees, Flowers, Vegetables or Grain"
"Which of these is not one of the American Triple Crown horse races? Arlington Million, Belmont Stake, Kentucky Derby or Preakness Stakes"
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I know the first one definitely was, but don't know about the other two... £1m questions on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Steeevooo wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 15:23 I know the first one definitely was, but don't know about the other two... £1m questions on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
Correct.

As you probably know, the first was Judith Keppel's final question. The second one was for the second winner, David Edwards. The third one was Egghead Pat Gibson's final question.

By the way, the answers are...
Henry II (Judith is related to Eleanor of Aquitaine. Fix?)
Trees (Quercus rober is the Oak)
Arlington Million
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

If ? = four years and ! equals 15 years, what does & equal at time of posting?
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

michael_churchill wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 15:37
Don't let Adham Fisher hear you say that... ;-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

michael_churchill wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:54 What is the significance of the following questions
"Which King was married to Eleanor of Aquitaine? Henry I, Henry II, Richard I or Henry V"
"If you planted the seeds of Quercus robur, what would grow? Trees, Flowers, Vegetables or Grain"
"Which of these is not one of the American Triple Crown horse races? Arlington Million, Belmont Stake, Kentucky Derby or Preakness Stakes"
Plus the "odd one out":

"A number one followed by 100 zeros is known by what name? A googol, a megatron, a gigabit or a nanomole?"

(Cough, cough...)
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
michael_churchill
Zone 6

RJSRdg wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:14
Now I'm intrigued! There's obviously a story behind that...
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

michael_churchill wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 09:12
RJSRdg wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:14
Now I'm intrigued! There's obviously a story behind that...
https://youtu.be/5oFYZH6aci4?t=543
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

jamesthegill wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 17:42 If ? = four years and ! equals 15 years, what does & equal at time of posting?
This one's been bothering me, because I have another question of my own to post!

Based on the phrasing of the question, I reckon it's related to the last time something happened. The last "?" thing happened 4 years ago and the last "!" thing happened 15 years ago.

I looked at various things like the titles of Best Picture Oscar winning films and Booker Prize winning novels. I have an answer that fits and I hope it's the one you're looking for.

It's been 4 years since "What Do You Mean?" by Justin Bieber was the last number one single with a ? in the title, and 15 years since "Yeah!" by Usher was the last number one single with a ! in the title. So, I think the answer is that's it's been 6 years since "Scream & Shout" by will.i.am (featuring Britney Spears) was number one ?!?
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

michael_churchill wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 16:25
jamesthegill wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 17:42 If ? = four years and ! equals 15 years, what does & equal at time of posting?
This one's been bothering me, because I have another question of my own to post!

Based on the phrasing of the question, I reckon it's related to the last time something happened. The last "?" thing happened 4 years ago and the last "!" thing happened 15 years ago.

I looked at various things like the titles of Best Picture Oscar winning films and Booker Prize winning novels. I have an answer that fits and I hope it's the one you're looking for.

It's been 4 years since "What Do You Mean?" by Justin Bieber was the last number one single with a ? in the title, and 15 years since "Yeah!" by Usher was the last number one single with a ! in the title. So, I think the answer is that's it's been 6 years since "Scream & Shout" by will.i.am (featuring Britney Spears) was number one ?!?
You're spot on, it's to do with punctuation marks in UK number one hit singles!
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Referring to the casts, what SPECIFICALLY do the TV Series "8 Simple Rules" and "The Big Bang Theory" have in common?
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Is Kaley Cuoco too simple?
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

DavidC wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 20:03 Is Kaley Cuoco too simple?
On the right track, but not specific enough!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Katey Sagal played Kaley Cuoco's mother in both shows.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver