Generator failure?

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Generator failure?

Post by RJSRdg »

I seem to be having something strange happening with the R15 generator - has anyone else experienced this?

I click 'Start Here', then on the next screen, select Underground, DLR, Overground, National Rail, TfL Rail.

Select Zones 1 & 2

Click 'Continue'

Select 'Waterloo (LU)'

Click Continue

Now suddenly I seem to be back at the opening screen with the three options: Home, View Data, Start Here

Just thought I'd flag it up now so that if there is an issue it can hopefully be fixed before Tangy's dad tries to run it next week....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Re: Generator failure?

Post by EastActionWoman »

I'm seeing the same problem, so knocked up a Google sheet to do the random selection thing. Anyone is free to use it too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The hidden column A has all 219 stations available on Saturday (I hope I've got that right).
Column B has Waterloo (LU) as the fixed first station, then selects 14 stations at random from column A.
Every time the sheet is opened a new list of 14 stations is created.
You can also press Ctrl-R to get another list.
Both these things mean that no-one can see what other people have generated, so could also be used by Tangy's dad for Saturday, if necessary.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

RJSRdg wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 00:17 I seem to be having something strange happening with the R15 generator - has anyone else experienced this?

I click 'Start Here', then on the next screen, select Underground, DLR, Overground, National Rail, TfL Rail.

Select Zones 1 & 2

Click 'Continue'

Select 'Waterloo (LU)'

Click Continue

Now suddenly I seem to be back at the opening screen with the three options: Home, View Data, Start Here

Just thought I'd flag it up now so that if there is an issue it can hopefully be fixed before Tangy's dad tries to run it next week....
Yep, same here.

I don't think it's going back to the start (the URL is different), but it's certainly not displaying any results.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

EastActionWoman wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 17:37 I'm seeing the same problem, so knocked up a Google sheet to do the random selection thing. Anyone is free to use it too:

The hidden column A has all 219 stations available on Saturday (I hope I've got that right).
Column B has Waterloo (LU) as the fixed first station, then selects 14 stations at random from column A.
Every time the sheet is opened a new list of 14 stations is created.
You can also press Ctrl-R to get another list.
Both these things mean that no-one can see what other people have generated, so could also be used by Tangy's dad for Saturday, if necessary.
I've just unhidden column A, so you can double-check that all the stations are there.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Very goode but a couple of comments/omissions

Farringdon is open for Thameslink services so should be included.

West Hampstead Thameslink should be written out in full, to avoid confusion with the Overground station (LO is part of the NR network of operators, as is Thameslink).

I believe Limehouse is one station as you can transfer between the London bound NR platform and Lewisham bound DLR platform directly without passing through any barriers
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Thanks Tangy

I've added Farringdon (doh!)
I've changed West Hampstead (NR) to West Hampstead Thameslink

I've made Limehouse one entry, but I just used the stations as listed on the generator site and that has the distinction there.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

EastActionWoman wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 07:57 Thanks Tangy

I've added Farringdon (doh!)
I've changed West Hampstead (NR) to West Hampstead Thameslink

I've made Limehouse one entry, but I just used the stations as listed on the generator site and that has the distinction there.
Limehouse isn't a station I frequent that often, I may need to pay a visit to confirm the arrangements.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

When I did my 60+ Challenge last year you had to pass through barriers to get from NR to the DLR, so I counted it as two separate stations of the 668 I visited. It is possible it may have changed in the past 18 months.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

I lived in Limehouse when I first moved to London in 2008, but they built the bridge connecting westbound c2c and eastbound DLR after we moved.

Just found this station plan:
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations ... ation-plan

Looks like barriers on the bridge too, so I'll revert to two stations on the Google sheet.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Thanks for the extra input, I believe the station list is now correct and column A can be hidden again.

Tangy.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Sorry about the delay, we just took the dog for a walk. Column A hidden now.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

EastActionWoman wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 10:33 Sorry about the delay, we just took the dog for a walk. Column A hidden now.
Time to generate some stations but I'm afraid as it is in zone 4, Barking will not feature!

Tangy.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

tangy wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 11:09
EastActionWoman wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 10:33 Sorry about the delay, we just took the dog for a walk. Column A hidden now.
Time to generate some stations but I'm afraid as it is in zone 4, Barking will not feature!
Groan :lol:
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Had a chat with A2 on Saturday night and sounds like it'll be a bit of a slog to get the generator site fixed.

So, I've been playing with Google sheets again and come up with this one to try to replicate the behaviour of the site:

In the first tab, you can select transport modes, zones and north/south, number of stations, and select a starting station (if required).
The second tab then shows all the stations that fit those criteria and lets you exclude ones with engineering works.
The third tab is the randomly generated list. You can use Ctrl-R on this page to generate another list with the same criteria.

Unlike the one I did for Round 1, any changes you make will be saved and be visible to other users. If you don't want others to see what you're doing, or if you want to have a play with the underlying data and formulae, then please make a copy for your own use.

Any problems, bugs, errors, please let me know.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

I didn't break it(!), and it is now working again. Sorry I didn't notice this thread prior to the R15 last weekend. If there are any problems and it isn't working in future then please do prod me either through a Private Message on here (I think I get an e-mail notification) or on Facebook and I'll do my best to get it sorted out as soon as possible.

My friend who kindly hosts the generator on their server for free updated some software in the background and somewhere along the lines the permissions on the account had changed. This meant that although the site was up and running and no changes had been made to it, suddenly one of the functions (I don't know which) that I was using was no longer permitted by default.

Once I caught hold of them they spotted the problem and resolved it within about 90 seconds.
- Andrew