Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Going Underground »

Iain wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 12:58 Down to Cranleigh today with Andi and Kev, picking up a few disused stations on the way. A pretty twisty but fun course - and I got back to run walking, so a bit faster. Three more to go for 100 :D
And 3 good times all round on a tough course :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

And advice I am having terrible calf strains I stretch and stretch and yet it keeps happening but no pain in knees confused it was a tough hill. But good to run with Mr brown and Iain how's the blister
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

dstock17 wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 19:26 And advice I am having terrible calf strains I stretch and stretch and yet it keeps happening but no pain in knees confused it was a tough hill. But good to run with Mr brown and Iain how's the blister
All good it was much worse driving than running, all to do with the angle and pressure.... Don't know the answer on calf but elevation and ice for a few evenings will prob help
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

greatkingrat wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 14:36 Here is a list of the "special" parkruns

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ial-Events

Potentially you could do Denmark on Christmas Eve, UK/France for Christmas Day, then Germany on Boxing Day, plus the normal parkrun on 28th Dec and two on New Years Day! Then over to Russia for Orthodox Christmas Day on 7th Jan.
You'll be giving people ideas Peter. Maybe you should set up "Parkrun Travel" as a little business on the side, organising peoples trips.

One of the Worthing Harriers was chatting about doing Lancing parkrun, then continuing along the prom to Worthing, and attempting to complete Worthing before the tailwalker finishes. What would happen if you tried to do this, would the parkrun software allow your runner id to appear at two different runs on the same day????
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 09 Jun 2019, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

dstock17 wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 19:26 And advice I am having terrible calf strains I stretch and stretch and yet it keeps happening but no pain in knees confused it was a tough hill. But good to run with Mr brown and Iain how's the blister
Have you tried compression socks? They work for me pretty well, but aren't everyones cup of tea.
A good slow warm-up run before you start and then some dynamic stretching, static stretching is not good before a run, but okay after a run.
Also I like to slap a bit of Wintergreen or Tigerbalm on my calf strain, but make sure not to get it in your eye or on your testicles :roll: :lol:
One day I shall return!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

I always wear my compression socks don't seem to be doing any good the next 2 weeks though are running with slower people so I use the time to relax
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

This weeks highlights
Just 10 of us out running this Saturday, and one of us managing a bonus run on Thursday
Das set a new PB of 32:59 at Brockenhurst, shaving 5 seconds off his previous best.
Dudey set a SB of 22:54 at Cranleigh.
Going underground also set a SB (and CB) of 33.29 at Cranleigh, with 82nd place also being a SB.
Jamesthegill set a SB of 37th place at Lancing Beach Green, 27:54 was just 1 second off equalling his SB.
Soup Dragon claimed a CB at Bevendean Down in 21:33, with 4th place equalling his PB finish.

Medals awarded at Cranleigh, Andi (GOLD), Going Underground (SILVER), Iain (BRONZE)
Medals switched hands at Bevendean, Soup Dragon is now GOLD, replacing Andi who now has SILVER.

Special mention to Tractakid who managed to do two runs this week, one in Sweden (Malmö Ribersborg)and one in Denmark (Amager Strandpark)

Full details here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
One day I shall return!
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Soup Dragon wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:28
greatkingrat wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 14:36 Here is a list of the "special" parkruns

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ial-Events

Potentially you could do Denmark on Christmas Eve, UK/France for Christmas Day, then Germany on Boxing Day, plus the normal parkrun on 28th Dec and two on New Years Day! Then over to Russia for Orthodox Christmas Day on 7th Jan.
You'll be giving people ideas Peter. Maybe you should set up "Parkrun Travel" as a little business on the side, organising peoples trips.

One of the Worthing Harriers was chatting about doing Lancing parkrun, then continuing along the prom to Worthing, and attempting to complete Worthing before the tailwalker finishes. What would happen if you tried to do this, would the parkrun software allow your runner id to appear at two different runs on the same day????
With the exception of New Year's Day, you can't register more than one time on a day. (It says this on the linked page.) That said, I'm not sure what would actually happen.

I think these are the days on which you could do an extra parkrun:
1 January (x2) - New Year's Day - nearly everywhere
7 January - Orthodox Christmas - Russia
One of 21 January to 20 February (varies) - Chinese New Year - Singapore
6 June - National Day of Sweden
1 July - Canada Day
16 September - Malaysia Day
4th Thursday in November - Thanksgiving - United States
24 December - Christmas Eve - Denmark, Finland, Norway
25 December - Christmas Day - many countries
26 December - Boxing Day - Germany, Poland

So, more than 60 parkruns in a year is possible for those who can travel.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Six seconds u bugger
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

dstock17 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 19:18 Six seconds u bugger
Yes indeed, it was a bloody hard effort. I really gave it everything but had no idea how close I was to your time until the official results had been published. I was somewhat disappointed though that my handicap on RunBritain did not improve this week, in fact I actually slipped a few places.
They showed the SSS for Bevendean as only 3.0, which I find hard to believe given that my two previous runs there had an SSS of 4.0 and 5.6.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

What do we all think of the new look parkrun site?
Personally I don't like it, but being old and grumpy I don't like change in general :lol:
One day I shall return!
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

Desktop is very nice. It looks clean and modern, but keeps the same layout as the previous site, so everything's still easy to find. Mobile site actually exists, which is nice, but I feel like the designer could have spend a bit more time testing. Definitely some screwy layouts in places.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Soup Dragon wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 13:59 What do we all think of the new look parkrun site?
Personally I don't like it, but being old and grumpy I don't like change in general :lol:
Nah not for me either.....
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

The events map seems nicer, but I can't put my finger on why
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Pah I knew my Cranleigh time was bollox - SD please adjust to 83rd place 34:43 - Iain's is slightly out as well :(