Stations remote from the places they serve

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Stations remote from the places they serve

Post by GuyBarry »

I wanted to set this in the "dastardly difficult trivia quiz" thread, but I don't know the answer myself.

Which railway station in the UK is furthest from the town or village after which it is named? Excluded are "Parkway" and "Road" stations - but if a settlement has grown up around the station, separate from the main town or village (e.g. Tring Station), then that's OK.

The best I can find so far is Micheldever Station in Hampshire, about two-and-a-half miles from the village of Micheldever.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
DavidC
Zone 6

Re: Stations remote from the places they serve

Post by DavidC »

Penshurst Station (on the Tonbridge-Redhill line) is in the village of Chiddingstone Causeway and is about 1.9 miles from Penshurst village. I realise that this is a shorter distance than your example, but I just wanted to check whether somewhere like this would count since the nearby settlement has its own distinct name rather than just being an unnamed outlying "suburb".
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Yes, that'd be fine.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Dinsdale station on the Darlington to Saltburn line is in Middleton St.George but is 3.7 miles by road from Low Dinsdale. It is closer to Over Dinsdale as the crow flies, but the River Tees gets in the way.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I do not know if it is the answer to your question but Dent station on the Settle-Carlisle Line is famed for a) being the highest mainline station in England and b) being nowhere near the village of Dent it is meant to serve. In actual fact, it is some 4.8 miles by road from the village to the station and a 400ft climb as well!
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Possibly a silly answer here (unlike me, I know...), but maybe Severn Tunnel Junction could be considered. It's 2.5 miles from the nearest part of the tunnel, and 5.3 miles from the furthest end. As the crow flies (or the fish swims...).
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Tees-Side Airport?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Only a mile from the airport (which is no longer called Teesside Airport anyway). Although it's a bit academic since it only gets one train a week...

I think Dent is the winner, unless anyone knows a better one. Severn Tunnel Junction doesn't exactly "serve" the Severn Tunnel - no one lives in the Severn Tunnel or has any reason to visit it!

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 18:27 Only a mile from the airport (which is no longer called Teesside Airport anyway). Although it's a bit academic since it only gets one train a week...

I think Dent is the winner, unless anyone knows a better one. Severn Tunnel Junction doesn't exactly "serve" the Severn Tunnel - no one lives in the Severn Tunnel or has any reason to visit it!
Severn Tunnel Junction is actually very close to the actual Severn Tunnel Junction, where trains towards Caldicot and Gloucester via Chepstow devige from trains to Bristol and London, and is on the opposite side of the station to the tunnel!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000