FNC on a Saturday = ??

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TeamHelsinki
Zone 1

FNC on a Saturday = ??

Post by TeamHelsinki »

From what I've read, the conventional wisdom seems to be that it is unfeasible, or even impossible, to attempt an FNC completion on a weekend. I have been trying to find out whether any Tube stations really are closed at weekends any more, as used to be the case, but this information seems peculiarly hard to find. Unless it is the case that all Tube stations are now open all day every day. Case in point: Cannon Street, which used to be an early-closing/weekends-closed station, today (Sunday) lists last trains as departing around midnight.

I can of course understand why trying for a fast time makes no sense on a weekend, given the less frequent service. But what about trying for just a completion on a Saturday, for instance? Am I missing something obvious?

The reason I'm asking is that a weekend run would make it much easier to plan around Olympia, as trains run all day.

-JMan
Helsinki Metro all stations 00:59:58
FNC 269/270 in 19:16:41
FNC completion Uxbridge to LHR4 in 30:32:57
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: FNC on a Saturday = ??

Post by dstock17 »

June 3rd would seem to be your next chance
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

No stations are regularly closed at weekends, although most of the time there is at least one section of track closed due to engineering works so only a few weekends will work.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

My best ever time (& still 9th on the overall top times list) was done on a Saturday. However, GWR have made it clear that they will not recognise records set at a weekend (though their stated logic for not doing so seems perverse).
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

There are pros and cons with regards to attempting a FNC on a Saturday (apart from the obvious pro that for most of us it's a day off work already).

Pros

* Olympia service every 20 minutes
* No 'rush hour' either on the Tube itself or on any bus routes used

Cons

* Difficult to find a Saturday when there is no engineering work anywhere on the Tube (or other lines necessary for connecting between stations, like the Goblin or Tramlink).
* Possible lower frequency on some lines/bus routes.
* Football crowds at certain stations

I'd go as far as to say that the combination of the difficulty of finding a Saturday when there is no engineering work, and trying to work around the football traffic probably means that a particular FNC route may only be able to be used once.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

If you're just aiming for a completion then I don't see it being too much of an issue - the GWR requiremwnt isn't relevant, so it's just a case of whether the fewer trains will make your route take too long. As long as your route is fairly tight, this won't be an issue
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)