Zone 1 & 2

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Zone 1 & 2

Post by michael_churchill »

On Saturday, I took advantage of a rare day free of planned engineering works, and had a go at adding a second entry to the "Zone 1 & 2 Challenge" league table. No disrespect to Richard Standing, but it has to be the least impressive "fastest time" there is.

Things almost went pear-shaped on my first change. Having arrived at Edgware Road on a "Wimbleware", I managed to get onto a Circle line train as the doors were closing, only to discover that it was not going to Hammersmith, but back the way I'd came. So I had to get off at Paddington and cross the mainline station. I'd chosen my start time so that, just over an hour later, I'd comfortably be able to get the District to Olympia followed by Overground or Southern to Shepherd's Bush with the shortest wait. After my cock-up, I knew it wouldn't be comfortable. Thankfully, all the following changes were optimal, and I changed platforms at Earl's Court just as the Olympia train was pulling in, a minute or two late. Pulling into Olympia I could see the Overground arriving on the parallel track and the doors opened on the District about 5 seconds before they opened on the Overground. I was very fortunate.

Everything then went well until I had covered the Jubilee line up to Willesden Green, then backtracked one station to Kilburn, intending to use the Overground from Brondesbury to Willesden Junction to join the Bakerloo. Arriving at Brondesbury all the westbound departures on the board were cancelled, due to damage to the overhead lines somewhere along the line. A quick check on the local information board outside the station revealed that the 316 bus to White City would stop at Queen's Park. The stop outside Brondesbury was not in use, so I had to return to Kilburn station. After a while the iBus electronic voice lady revealed that "this bus is on diversion, please listen for further announcements", of which there were, of course, none. By the time I realised where it was going, I decided to bail somewhere on Harrow Road around the corner from Westbourne Park! So, I had to go back to Paddington, and across the mainline station again, in the opposite direction, to join the Bakerloo. I'd arrived at Kilburn 13 minutes ahead of my schedule and finally left Willesden Junction 35 minutes behind, so I reckon that cost me 48 minutes.

Apart from that, there were not really any great delays, and my final time was a new best of 8 hr 2 min 35 sec. My conservative schedule (no lightning fast interchanges and walking pace interchanges on foot) was for 7 hr 32 min. I'm sure better planners and faster runners will do better. However, I don't know how you would make it work with the weekday Olympia service and a weekend with no planned works anywhere in zones 1 & 2 is rare.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 & 2

Post by RJSRdg »

TBH - I'm surprised it's lasted that long!

Yes, I made rather a mess of it, falling asleep and missing my stop on at least three occasions! I also aggravated my ankle injury during the day (I'd already done a 5k run that morning!) and only kept going because I knew even if I had to crawl on my hands and knees it would still be a record! (Fortunately I didn't have to do that).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

So, I did my run on 21 October and sent tangy an e-mail on 22 October. I've been waiting for tangy to update his web-site. I refresh today and see "New record for Zone 1 & 2 Challenge". "Great", I think, click on the link and see David Edwards has beaten my time by nearly 50 minutes but I'm not listed. Congrats to David, whatever :roll: , but why do I bother? :wink:
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Apologies Michael, I did receive and read your email regarding you zone 1 & 2 challenge. I then proceeded to validate the route- everything checked out.

I didn't initially update Explorer Ticket as I usually wait for two or three times to come in (then put them online all at once in batches), say after a Random 15. It was only when David Edwards emailed his time across that I then updated the website, overlooking your email as it was off the end of the email list in my browser.

To prevent this in future, I will try and put new times on as soon as they are validated and will give a more up-to-date record of the various challengers that we partake in.

Tangy
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

tangy wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 08:41 Apologies Michael, I did receive and read your email regarding you zone 1 & 2 challenge. I then proceeded to validate the route- everything checked out.
No problem. At least now it shows I held the record for three whole weeks!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Is there an official list of stations for this please? I know I could look at the map, but sometimes this changes so we go by th map when the challenge was created (e,g, for the bottle)
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Hi Iain,

I think the full current list (based on what stations are in the R15 generator for "underground" and "zone 1 or zone 2") is:
There are 135 stations on this list.

Aldgate
Aldgate East
Angel
Archway
Arsenal
Baker Street
Bank
Barbican
Barons Court
Bayswater
Belsize Park
Bermondsey
Bethnal Green (LU)
Blackfriars (LU)
Bond Street
Borough
Bow Road
Brixton (LU)
Bromley-by-Bow
Caledonian Road
Camden Town
Canada Water
Canary Wharf (LU)
Canning Town
Cannon Street (LU)
Chalk Farm
Chancery Lane
Charing Cross (LU)
Clapham Common
Clapham North
Clapham South
Covent Garden
Earl's Court
East Acton
East Putney
Edgware Road (B)
Edgware Road (C,D,H&C)
Elephant & Castle (LU)
Embankment
Euston (LU)
Euston Square
Farringdon
Finchley Road
Finsbury Park (LU)
Fulham Broadway
Gloucester Road
Goldhawk Road
Goodge Street
Great Portland Street
Green Park
Hammersmith (C,H&C)
Hammersmith (D,P)
Hampstead
High Street Kensington
Highbury & Islington
Holborn
Holland Park
Holloway Road
Hyde Park Corner
Kennington
Kensal Green
Kensington (Olympia)
Kentish Town
Kilburn
Kilburn Park
King's Cross St. Pancras (LU)
Knightsbridge
Ladbroke Grove
Lambeth North
Lancaster Gate
Latimer Road
Leicester Square
Liverpool Street (LU)
London Bridge (LU)
Maida Vale
Manor House
Mansion House
Marble Arch
Marylebone (LU)
Mile End
Monument
Moorgate
Mornington Crescent
North Acton
North Greenwich
Notting Hill Gate
Old Street
Oval
Oxford Circus
Paddington (B,C,D)
Paddington (C,H&C)
Parsons Green
Piccadilly Circus
Pimlico
Putney Bridge
Queen's Park
Queensway
Ravenscourt Park
Regent's Park
Royal Oak
Russell Square
Shepherd's Bush (LU)
Shepherd's Bush Market
Sloane Square
South Kensington
Southwark
St. James's Park
St. John's Wood
St. Paul's
Stamford Brook
Stepney Green
Stockwell
Stratford
Swiss Cottage
Temple
Tottenham Court Road
Tower Hill
Tufnell Park
Turnham Green
Vauxhall (LU)
Victoria (LU)
Warren Street
Warwick Avenue
Waterloo (LU)
West Brompton
West Ham
West Hampstead (LU)
West Kensington
Westbourne Park
Westminster
White City
Whitechapel
Willesden Green
Willesden Junction
Wood Lane
- Andrew
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The record re-set when the map was last re-dawn (when Stratford and West Ham were made joint Z2/Z3 stations).

As far as I'm aware, the Bottle is the only record not to be re-set when the map has been re-drawn (when the error that put Edgware Road Bakerloo and Marylebone inside the Circle Line was corrected), though presumably it DID get re-set when Aldwych closed!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

RJSRdg wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 22:28 The record re-set when the map was last re-dawn (when Stratford and West Ham were made joint Z2/Z3 stations).

As far as I'm aware, the Bottle is the only record not to be re-set when the map has been re-drawn (when the error that put Edgware Road Bakerloo and Marylebone inside the Circle Line was corrected), though presumably it DID get re-set when Aldwych closed!
Alternative challenges like the Bottle were not even invented when Aldwych was open!!! The first mass Zone 1 event was in 2004... and from that point on the train was then set in motion for other mini challenges, like the Bottle and Random 15 etc. that followed.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.