Christmas Park Challenge 2017 -16th Dec - Stonebridge Park

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Christmas Park Challenge 2017 -16th Dec - Stonebridge Park

Post by tangy »

dstock17 wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 19:44 regarding the rules if for example u last connection was in to a park station would u stop watch at next station along?
To give an example, in a previous Park Challenge I got a bus to my last required park station, Newbury Park. Therefore I took the exterior photo but then had to get the first train out in any direction, to stop my watch at Barkingside.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

dstock17 wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 19:44 regarding the rules if for example u last connection was in to a park station would u stop watch at next station along?
Yeah basically you have the option to arrive at your last park station by external means, take a photo, depart one stop and then stop the watch... :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I'm gunna parkrun at Old Deer Park as it's about the only one I haven't done which doesn't require a very prompt departure to get to Stonebridge in good time before 11 :)
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tractakid wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 21:49 I'm gunna parkrun at Old Deer Park as it's about the only one I haven't done which doesn't require a very prompt departure to get to Stonebridge in good time before 11 :)

beware the mud :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Question. MUST you start with a photograph, or can you do a traditional on-train start instead, so long as you eventually gather all photos?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

tractakid wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 15:21 Question. MUST you start with a photograph, or can you do a traditional on-train start instead, so long as you eventually gather all photos?
My gut feeling would be "no".

It is definitely possible to start with a photograph, then run off / take a bus elsewhere, and pass through the station at a later point in the challenge. That possibility was given credence by last year's start at the closed Tufnell Park which essentially forced the issue.

However I can't think of a context whereby you would be able to do a valid pass-through of an open starting station, yet not be on a train that was stopping, and therefore be possible to have started there with a photograph. Again referring back to last year, the challenge started at the point that the photograph was taken, and it wasn't possible to start on a train heading north or south and take the photo later on in the day (although it might just be that no-one had thought of it). Part of the start of the challenge after all is the timing of your initial photo so that you just make the first train / bus and don't lose any time. If you were allowed to start on a train then you'd be getting round that part of the process.
- Andrew
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Being slightly pedantic, I think Tufnell Park was the year before last. Last year's was Park Royal IIRC.

One question from me though:

I presume the clock starts when the first photo is taken. Is it OK to take the photo just before 11am, then catch the first train after 11 (i.e. just after the starting window has closed) or does the first train have to be caught before 11?

Richard
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

RJSRdg wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 09:22 I presume the clock starts when the first photo is taken. Is it OK to take the photo just before 11am, then catch the first train after 11 (i.e. just after the starting window has closed) or does the first train have to be caught before 11?
I would have thought so. If your plan calls for you to take a photo just before 11:00, and then go for a fry up or to do your Christmas shopping before you continue to any other location then that's your prerogative. Those examples probably aren't the best way to a fast time though...
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

OK in summary

Yes you must take a photo of the start station (Stonebridge Park) synchronised with starting your watch
You do NOT have to depart from Stonebridge Park and can pass through later
No problem to take photo at 10:59:59 and go do whatever you like for the rest of the day :wink:
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

I briefly mentioned at the last R15 that I couldn't do this year, but I am in London tomorrow, so I'll see some of yous in Harrow.
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I'm coming down tomorrow with every intention of starting - but I'm not sure that I'll finish. :(
Elsie
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I'm at H&I
8 min to next Ovg to Stratford.
Not got time to get to Newbury Park and then get the final 2 of Upton and Elm before getting 20.30 home from Kings X.
Think I'll call it at day.
🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐
Elsie
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Another disaster for me I'm afraid, though not so much of my own making this time.

I'd worked out a route which gave a theory time of 8:15 - not spectacular but it would have been a PB for me. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

I arrived at Stonebridge on a northbound train at 10:30. As the train pulled in, I saw Andrew C on the platform, but by the time I got off, he must have already boarded. Not a start I would have contemplated.

I had a bit of a wander round to find some food, and returned to the station entrance at around 10:50, where I saw Das. We chatted for a while, then he took his photo, started his watch and went inside. I waited until 10:59 then did likewise (my theory route starting on the 11:03 was 20 minutes faster than for any other departure!).

Down to Queens and Kilburn with Das. A little bit of confusion there, but we found the correct bus to take us to Westbourne, where Das headed east and I headed for Ladbroke Grove, where things started to go wrong. My timings gave me a 3 minute wait for a bus to Holland Park - in the event it was more like 12 minutes. Round to HP then decision time - do I continue as planned to NHG, South Ken, Hyde Park Corner, Green Park, Oxford Circus or go straight to OC to recover the lost time and do Hyde and Green later. I opted for the former, unfortunately, as I then had a almost 15 minute wait for a Circle at NHG. So over 20 minutes down now, Hyde, Green and Regents done without issue, up to Wembley Park, canons, back down to Wembley ( 2 and a half hours to get from one side of the stadium to the other!). Unfortunately the earlier delays meant that instead of catching an Uxbridge to Northwick followed by a Watford to Moor, I ended up with a Watford to Northwick followed by an Uxbridge. Up to Moor Park, just missed the return working so hung on for the next one. Down to HotH as my ankle was playing up a little and I didn't want to risk it up the hill to Rayner's Lane. Poor door position and missing the subway meant I missed a connection at HotH and had to wait for the next, though a decent change at Rayner's. Down to Park Royal, now 4 hours gone and still within sight of the Wembley Stadium! Obligatory 10 minute wait, down to Acton Town, Chiswick (another 10 minute wait), Earl's Court, Wimbledon Park (change worked nicely here), Sid James's Park, Embankment, Belsize, Camben Town, Woodside, Tufnell, Euston, Finsbury, H&I where I bumped into Elsie who told me he was pulling out and heading back to KX. Then he said "If you run, you'll just catch the Stratford train", so I ran and just missed it (thanks Elsie!). 10 minute wait, over to Stratford, let an Epping and a Loughton through, up to Newbury, back down to Mile End, Upton and Elm for a somewhat disappointing 9:11:51 :-(
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Nothing went particularly wrong with my route, just had a lot of poor 5+ mins connections.

Starting at Stonebridge Park at 10:20 by myself, I headed north to Kenton to run to Northwick Park. Jumped on the 1st train out to realise it was an Uxbridge train, therefore changed at Harrow-on-the-Hill for a Chesham train 6 mins later. Made it up to Moor Park where I met A2 and we both continued together to Wembley Park. Another 6 minute wait for a train going north (a terminator came in first), we knocked off Canons Park and headed back south. A2 left me at Wembley Park and I carried on down to Kilburn. Caught the 32 bus but got held up in traffic so bailed and ran the rest of the way to Kilburn Park. Went north to Queen's Park and caught the 36 bus to somewhere near Westbourne Park. One stop south to Ladbroke Grove and found a 228 bus only 2 mins away :D Hopped on to Holland Park then went west to Hanger Lane. Ran to Park Royal to find the next train was 7 mins away. When it finally came I went to Ealing Common to wait for the next District which was... yep you guessed it, 6 mins away. Boarded it and made my way to Chiswick Park and then run to Turnham Green. Knocked off Ravenscourt Park and had a sweet change at Earl's Court for a Wimbledon train. Double backed to Wimbledon Park to then head out to St. James's Park. Did a different run to last year which was much nicer and therefore was able to knock off Hyde Park Corner and Green Park in quick succession. Made my way up to Regent's Park for a run to Warren Street. Got lucky with an Edgware train the next one in so straight up to Belsize Park where I may have accidentally broken a lift... :shock: My punishment for that was all 209 steps up to the ticket office :evil: Back down to Camden Town for a 5 mins wait for a train to High Barnet. Up to Tufnell Park and Woodside Park where there was ANOTHER 7 mins for a train north. Got out at Totteridge & Whetstone for the 251 bus to Arnos Grove and had to wait 8 minutes for that :roll: Made it to Finsbury Park just before they let all the Arsenal supporters loose and headed down to H&I for a 10 minute wait to Stratford. When I finally got there I found Kev, Nozza and Mini Nozza on the same train as me to Newbury Park. We then finished off by ticking off Upton Park and finally finished at Elm Park.

Frustrating day in the end, thankfully food, beer and darts cured that :D
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

1. I got the train up from Basingstoke that morning and arrived at Stonebridge Park 20 minutes before 10am. I was joined just before the start by A2 and at 10AM, I took my first photo and promptly ran into the station. I had made a plan for this with timings and everything but that went out of the window immediately as the southbound Bakerloo service I needed to catch was 4 minutes late. As a result of this, I ditched the plan I had made and consulted the map I had in my coat pocket. I made the decision to keep heading southbound to to the photos for Queens Park and Kilburn Park respectively. I then got off at Warwick Avenue to make a pleasant and faster than expected run to Royal Oak to catch a southbound train to Westbourne Park. I got the photo there and continued down to Wood Lane to run to White City. Had a short wait before a West Ruslip terminator arrived although I bailed at Hangar Lane. It was also around this time I realised that I had forgotten to start the stopwatch on my phone so at 11am, I stared it. The run went well. Although I was unsure what exit I needed at the time. The net result was a 7 minute wait and a chance to admire the architecture. I changed to the District at Acton Town where I had a 5 minute wait before getting a nightmarish 8 minute wait at Chiswick Park. I stayed on the District to do Ravenscourt Park and I only had a 5 minute wait there after the photo. I then changed to the Wimbledon branch at Earl's Court where the train was being held for something. After that it was down to Wimbledon Park to get the photo there and I had a nice 1 minute wait for the northbound train. Headed to St. James's Park where the train was held at Earl's Court for a red signal. After the photo, It was off to Victoria to change to the Victoria Line and then onwards to Green Park. As I alighted from the train there was a large number of people going up the escalators so I took the stairs in the middle. After I got the photo, I ran back in and got the next Piccadilly line service to Hyde Park Corner, got out, got the photo and got stuck on an escalator as I couldn't get past some people. They got the hint to move over from the guy behind me. Changed to the Jubilee at Green Park to head to Bond Street before changing to the Central line to tick off Holland Park. I got the photo there and ran to the platform where I just about made it in as the door was starting to close. Changed to the Bakerloo line at Oxford Circus to visit Regents Park and I got the photo and ran to Great Portland Street. I just about made it without being run over by a taxi driver although there was plenbty of time for me to run across the road and I only had a 1 minute wait. I then got a Metropolitan line train to Northwick Park as it was an Uxbridge terminator. I then had another 1 minute wait for a Chesham bound train so I could visit Moor Park. I got back in from taking the photo and promptly went to Wembley Park. I took a photo there and then slid into the carriage on the Jubilee line train, unfortunately at the wrong end for Cannons Park though. Got my photo there and had a 4 minute wait for the 79 bus. Bad traffic and frankly idiotic driving kept me entertained on the way to Edgware. When I got in I saw a train at the platform and I ran for it as the doors were closing and got my hand stuck in the door. A couple of tourists pulled up the flap and the doors opened after I had got my hand out. I told the guard that the hand was fine and the train left and headed towards Belsize Park. I got my photo there after running up the spiral stairs, which turned out to be a bad idea as my legs were knackered after that and headed to Camden town where I had a nice change over to the High Barnet branch. I promptly got lost in Tufnell Park trying to get the lift so I could get that photo. Carried on north to Woodside Park where I also got a photo. Doubled back down to Euston where I got the Victoria line to visit Finsbury Park. I also ran past what looked like a stag do in multi-coloured teaddybear onesies on my way out from the station and they all went “aaaaayyyyyyy” as I ran past. I made it back had a decent change to the Overground at Highbury & Islington. The train was packed thanks to the Arsenal fans. It was also on this part that I was joined by Andrew Chilcraft. We both made a good change to the Central line and got a Hainault bound train to Newbury Park. After a Quick photo, it was back down to Stratford where we got a Jubilee line train to West Ham. Another good change later, it was onto the District to do Upton Park and finally, Elm Park. I had finished and the pizza and beer in the pub was consumed quickly and most welcome as well as getting a couple of decent throws in the darts. FInal time was also 30 odd minutes up on my best time I had done on the plan I had made.
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something