Practice attempt

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Practice attempt

Post by FelixJ20000 »

Planning to make an attempt on 13/02/18 - never tried a tube challenge before (plans for june/july this year had to be postponed) and I was wondering if it was worth it to try to pull all the evidence required by GWR (a billion independent witnesses etc etc) when we're uncertain about the route - of course if we do it under the time then we'll be pissed off that we didn't do it "properly".

Maybe we should still film it in entirety to make them happy just in case we really wanna submit it.

Thoughts?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Practice attempt

Post by Going Underground »

FelixJ20000 wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 13:45 Thoughts?
Good luck finding an independent stop watch operator :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

Exactly! I mean you're asking a stranger to do a huge 6AM and 10 PM favour ugh f**k
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

FelixJ20000 wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 07:52Exactly! I mean you're asking a stranger to do a huge 6AM and 10 PM favour ugh f**k
The only thing I can think of that might work with that is writing to LU and asking them to have members of staff at your starting/finishing stations do the operation and pass it between each other. Which is fine - unless you're starting/finishing at c2c managed Upminster...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

I previously tried as such - one end were very cooperative and willing, the other, not even a response. I even tried local police, to no avail :(
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm pretty sure the rules also state that the 'independent witness' must be there solely for the purpose of witnessing the challenge and not in any other official capacity.

I don't know whether a journalist from your local paper would be allowed.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I think that a local journo would probably be viewed as having something to gain from doing the timekeeping (I.e. a news story), and would therefore not be considered independent
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

I'm a bit more open minded about the Guinness rules regarding independent witnesses. I don't think they are as restrictive as everyone thinks they are but you certainly need loads of other evidence as well.

You need two independent witnesses at the start and available if you get to the end. So what is independent? Can they be friends? I believe they mustn't be related to you or each other but must have some sort of profession, that sort of qualifies them as stop watch operators and trustworthy pillars of the community. So uncles or girlfriends probably wouldn't qualify. But an accountant, teacher or lawyer you sort of know, would probably be ok. Trouble is you need two of them. I'm sure there is a job opportunity waiting for someone in Chesham/Amersham area who doesn't mind early mornings and is happy to look after a stop watch for a day. But as with everything Guinness, you can't be sure until they have judged your application.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Post by ITFCShirts »

I'm still to fully write up by 8th Sept attempt (17:13:08 - how do I get Nigel to add that to the times list?) but for Chesham, the Facebook community board were incredibly helpful and keen to help when one of my witnesses pulled out last minute.

Otherwise it's certainly a case of beg borrow and steal with witnesses. Note, you can't transfer the watch yourself, but I did have someone transfer the watch from early morning witnesses to evening witnesses (they don't have to be the same people) sealed in a lunch box to avoid tamper or accidental stopping of the watch!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

ITFCShirts wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 23:23 I'm still to fully write up by 8th Sept attempt (17:13:08 - how do I get Nigel to add that to the times list?) but for Chesham, the Facebook community board were incredibly helpful and keen to help when one of my witnesses pulled out last minute.

Otherwise it's certainly a case of beg borrow and steal with witnesses. Note, you can't transfer the watch yourself, but I did have someone transfer the watch from early morning witnesses to evening witnesses (they don't have to be the same people) sealed in a lunch box to avoid tamper or accidental stopping of the watch!
The Facebook community board? Is this for Chesham or for the challenge?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Post by ITFCShirts »

Both Chesham and Amersham have them. Raised £1000 for charity in the end, so that helped those local Facebook communities get on board helping with witnesses
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

ITFCShirts wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 23:23 I'm still to fully write up by 8th Sept attempt (17:13:08 - how do I get Nigel to add that to the times list?)
Just PM me your name & confirmation that you did everything properly (e.g. Olympia), then I'll add you to the list.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Top times list now updated.