The Kings Cross - Waterloo challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

The Kings Cross - Waterloo challenge

Post by greatkingrat »

According to TfL data tracking users of the underground Wifi network, there are seventeen different routes that people have used to get from King's Cross to Waterloo

The challenge is to do all seventeen routes in the fastest time, which order you do them in is up to you!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
DavidC
Zone 6

Re: The Kings Cross - Waterloo challenge

Post by DavidC »

So, some assumptions for validation please ... although I may be taking this too seriously :-)

(a) direction for each stage is at the discretion of the competitor
(b) only the seventeen stages explicitly listed need to be covered, not a token eighteenth different one for the bucket for all other routes
(c) District, H&C and Met main line are also all acceptable (where appropriate) for the various yellow "Circle" stretches
(d) (c) includes complete freedom to use any platform at Baker Street (including different-rails Met main line platforms) for any stage during the overall challenge
(e) the competitor can stay on the same Northern Line train when flowing from one stage to another at King's Cross

PS : the descriptions of the underlying data and the potential uses are fantastic https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2017/0 ... derground/

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

I got to admit although a little boring in just shuttling between two this would make an interesting challenge I would suggest though photo proof like park challenge.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The one-change routes are mostly fairly sensible but it beats me why anyone would have done a route involving more than one change (especially considering that going between two major main line stations they are likely to have luggage with them).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

RJSRdg wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 09:58 The one-change routes are mostly fairly sensible but it beats me why anyone would have done a route involving more than one change (especially considering that going between two major main line stations they are likely to have luggage with them).
Perhaps these were routes taken on weekends where engineering works impacted possibilities? (Note that I've not looked into whether there were any such restricting instances)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I did wonder that, but there are so many one-change routes that I wouldn't have thought it likely.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

This makes me feel slightly stupid that I usually do the Leicester Square change (when arriving from Southampton and departing by Eurostar).
What do the Oxford Circus and Green Park people know?
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

michael_churchill wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 16:43 This makes me feel slightly stupid that I usually do the Leicester Square change (when arriving from Southampton and departing by Eurostar).
What do the Oxford Circus and Green Park people know?
Oxford Circus is a cross platform change, and so is definitely easiest, whilst Green Park looks shortest on the tube map.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Personally I usually interchange at Warren Street for this particular journey
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Yes, interesting that for Walthamstow - Waterloo, you have a choice of four consecutive stations at which to change!